Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Invasion! Night 3/ Day 4
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
The day dawns bright and clear. The rain has washed away the Kansas dust, and everything smells green and fresh.

Agnes, Obrien and Cooper walk with their Marked to the diner. When they arrive, they find bowls of oatmeal and five idle G-men waiting for them.

"Well, men," Williams says, stretching his arms above his head. "Let's get this over with. Who's up today?"

"Wait." Lee holds up a hand and smiles. "Before we go any further, to avoid the complications of yesterday, I recommend we search the men for any weaponry. Agnes? Obrien? Search your men. And Cooper, I'll search Cecil, thank you."

The G-men pat down their Marked, discarding any weaponry they find. Lee pats down the bookstore owner, and, finding nothing, positions himself behind the man in Cooper's place.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 pm 
"Well, Jason?" asks Cecil. He holds out his hand.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 am 
Jason hands over his rifle and his pistol, before reaching out to take Cecil's hand.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:39 am 
The glow is blinding. Beautiful. So much can be seen, heard, smelled, tasted.

And Cecil realizes something as he is surrounded by sensation: he can hear the voices of Jason and Richard. Not just the surface thoughts: he can dig deep within them, brush against their very souls. And those souls are wrapped in bliss. Sticky bliss, fuzzy joy.

There are Two Controlled today.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:53 am 
AOL: [email protected]
Bang.

"Ho oh oh! So close, too! Sorry, Cecil, but I guess you just didn't count on Jason here being such a gosh darned lying bastard. Right of the bat he makes you guys trust him, and it turns out he was just saving his own ass. I myself had to sacrifice most of my pawns for this checkmate. I just had to turn him, it's... *sniff*... it's like lookin' in a mirror. Oh, the masters will be so pleased with my cunning! But you won't walk away empty handed! Jason, tell Cecil what he's won!"

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:03 am 
Jason says nothing. He is seated at one of the booths. His eyes are unfocused, and distant, and he's shaking, ever so slightly as he mutters something, over and over.

"Give me, my God, what you still have;
give me what no one asks for.
I do not ask for wealth, nor success,
nor even health.

People ask you so often, God, for all that,
that you cannot have any left.
Give me, my God, what you still have.
Give me what people refuse to accept from you.
I want insecurity and disquietude;
I want turmoil and brawl.

And if you should give them to me,
my God, once and for all,
let me be sure to have them always,
for I will not always
have the courage to ask for them.
"

A spot of blood begins to soak through his pant leg.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:15 am 
"Jason, you idiot." whispers Cecil, backing away in horror. "You could have ended this... if you'd picked anyone else..."

"Lee." he says. "Get on your radio, I know you've got one. Tell them we failed Give them... a few minutes' warning at least. That may be the last thing we can do." He backs up a few steps further, placing himself next to Cooper.

The state of hyper-sensitivity takes on when any member of the group touches any member of the group. Praying that this works, praying that the hyper-sensitivity shows him some way in which his apparently inevitable fate can be avoided, he reaches up with his left hand and touches himself on the side of the neck.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:24 am 
"Oh, Jason's been like that since I turned him. It's a real buzzkill, Jason! Anyway, congratulations! All of you will be recieving a heaping load of DOOM! YAY, DOOM!" Richard grabs everyone a glass of water, "A toast to my victory, to my eternity with my beloved Bonnie, to the glorious Masters and..." Richard gives a malevolent grin, "Good health."

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 am 
"Mutherfu-" Williams stops and rubs his eyes.

"We lost again, Lee," he mutters.

Lee shoots him a look.

"Perhaps," he says, covertly inching his hand to his holster.

As they speak and Richard gloats, Cecil touches his neck. Something shifts in his mind. He realizes he no longer needs to touch another Marked to activate his abilities. He begins to glow, setting off Richard and Jason's powers as well. His senses are filled.

Suddenly, the glass doors of the diner shatter, and the frames tear from their hinges. Wind whips up the glass and the dust in the parking lot. A beam of light shines in the street, the willowy man standing in the center.

But to the Marked, their powers activated, the light is no longer white. It is a mess of swirling color, every color on the spectrum, and then some. And the willowy man's true form is shown: tall, sleek, hairless. Shining silver skin. Wide, black, pupil-less eyes. A light blue material covers him from neck to ankles, and down to his wrists. He has no visible mouth. And though he is at least 100 feet from the entrance of the diner, every man can hear his voice in his mind.

"Ah, you have done well my precious pets. I am so very proud of you! You were very, very clever. Now," he lifts his arm, holds out his hand, stretches his long, thin fingers. "Come."

Jason and Richard feel the most compelled to comply to the demand. But even the g-men are effected. They slink forward, exiting the diner.

Cecil feels the draw, too, and steps forward. Lee, who stands behind him, sweat forming on his forehead, grabs Cecil's glowing arm.

"Wait," Lee says. "Fight it."

And Cecil finds that he can. He can stay behind.

Last edited by weatherwax on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 am 
Cecil takes one step forward. And another.

He closes his eyes. He takes a deep breath. Next to him, Cooper walks slowly forward, towards the light. Cecil can hear it. Every footfall, every breath, every heartbeat. Even with his eyes closed, he can hear the rustle of Cooper's sleeve as he raises an arm. He can hear a single teardrop falling from the corner of Cooper's eye. And the faintest, whispered "Can't... stop...."

Cecil moves suddenly, spinning about, driving his elbow into Cooper's stomach. As the G-man collapses, Cecil pins him, holding him down. Holding himself there by the need to hold Cooper down.

Staying firm. Holding position. Staying behind.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:03 pm 
Richard's smile broadens, almost childlike now, as he steps towards he Master. "Did I do well enough? Will you bring her back?"

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:48 am 
Jason feels his mind slipping, something that has only happened once before. He tore four men to pieces with his bare hands that day, and nearly killed his CO when he tried to snap him out of it. A terrible light springs to life in Jason's eyes.

He stops shaking.

He stands and picks up his equipment, slinging his satchel over his shoulder, along with his rifle, and returns his magnum to it's holster, making sure the clasp on the restraining strap is tight as he exits the diner with the rest.

Cecil can feel Jason's surface thoughts fading, and the warm fuzzy bliss that wraps around Jason's soul, smothering him, begins to crack, replaced with a crystal clear ecstasy of pure Rage, burning and freezing at the same time. A lather of foam and spittle froths up at Jason's lips.

He turns toward Richard and the Alien.

He draws in a breath.

And screams.

"BATTLE!"

No longer hindered by his wound, he pounces on Richard, slamming his knees into his back, his left hand clutching Richard's shoulder, his right tangled in his hair, riding him into the ground, where he slams Richard's head into the unyielding pavement of the parking lot.

Bright Blood spatters as bones give way, but Jason is already up and moving again, his hand dipping into his satchel, and he draws out a simple wood handled camping hatchet, razor sharp, with a price tag from the local hardware store still fluttering from the head. He charges at the extraterrestrial abomination, the creature responsible for everything that has happened, and he bellows again. No words this time, just a beastial challenge. He seems to almost fly as he sprints toward his foe.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:24 am 
Richard gets up slowly, lightly... sobbing? No. Laughing. "Richard the Alien? Extraterrestrial abomination? I can hear your thoughts, Jason, and I laugh because you're ONE OF US!" When Jason approaches, Richard grabs his ax hand.

"But you still fight. Why, soldier? For the American Dream? What about the Richard Dream? What about the Jason Dream? You've been fighting long and hard, brave knight. It is time for rest." Richard eases the ax out of Jason's hand and throws it aside. "Your country no longer needs you. Go, Jason, into the light. Into your requiem. After years of servitude, you've earned it." Richard lets go of Jason's arm, goes to Jason's side and pats him forward.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 pm 
When Jason charges the willowy...creature, it lets out a high-pitched hiss. Waves of anger and annoyance batter the Marked. Richard's glow becomes a piercing blue-white as he rises from the ground. His reflexes are doubled, and when Richard reaches out and grabs Jason, he snatches Jason's arm quick as lightening. So fast that Jason is dragged back mid-sprint. Jason struggles, even as Richard gives his speech and removes Jason's hatchet.

The rage is still in Jason, all can feel it. And when Richard lets Jason go, Jason leaps for the willowy man, crossing the beam's light, arms raised.

The beam goes green, and Jason is stopped in midair.

"I did not think you would be so troublesome, my pet," the willowy man says. "It seems you may have to undergo a bit more training. Or perhaps a Culling. We shall see."

The creature folds his long fingers around Jason's face. Jason screams...and is gone in a blink. The beam turns white again.

As Jason charged the willowy man, the creature did not notice a beam of light flicker and appear ten feet behind and to the right of him. This beam, as Cecil can see, is made up of blues and purples and greens. Another willowy creature is in the beam, but instead of the blue suit it wears white. It waves at Cecil. Cecil blinks, unsure of what he just saw.

Lee, sweat pouring over him as he fights the willowy man's call, grabs Cecil off the ground, off Cooper.

"Run!" he says, dragging Cecil towards the other beam. As they pass the other G-men, Williams cries out,

"What the hell are you doing, Lee! The game, for Christsakes!"

Williams pulls his weapon. Lee, face grim as he runs, .38 out, shoots Williams in the arm and the hip. Williams goes down.

"Sorry, Williams, this is bigger than us," he mutters. "Keep running," he says to Cecil. "Trust me. Trust the woman in the light (for that is what Lee sees, a cheerful woman). I'll cover you."

He stops running and stands his ground. The other g-men snap out of their trance, pull their guns and aim at Lee and Cecil. Lee holds out his weapon.

"I don't want anyone to die today," he says. "Let him go."

But will Cecil trust Lee?

The willowy man's beam goes green as Cecil runs. And goes back to white. It ignores the commotion, not seeing the beam behind It, and holds out a hand to Richard.

"Are you ready, my pet? Are you ready to see your darling Bonnie?"

Last edited by weatherwax on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:56 pm 
Before he was turned, Jason spoke of a second alien faction, one opposed to the experimentation done by the others. One that had granted him the ability to cure the Infected; an ability that, as far as Cecil could tell had never worked, for want of a suitable target.

Which made Cecil unsure of whether or not it could ever have worked. Was Jason's Protector status ever genuine, or was it no more than a cruel joke on the part of the aliens, an attempt to raise hopes only to dash them later?

Lee evidently thought it would be good to visit the rear alien.

Cecil saw, from Jason's treatment, that he wanted nothing to do with the front alien.

Lee is acting without the knowledge of the others.

The rear alien has taken care to avoid the notice of the front alien.

Lee is acting either against the interests of the others, or from information unknown to the others. Or both. Lee had ample opportunity over the last few days to provide information to the others.

Lee lost a child or children last time something went wrong. He has nothing more to lose.

All of this passes through Cecil's head in a few instants, the raw facts that feed his conclusions.

"And so you shall reap," he says, grabbing Lee's arm, "as you have sown."

With his other hand, he draws a pistol and fires a shot that narrowly misses O'Brian (Cooper, meanwhile, fumbles at an empty holster), and drags Lee with him as he heads for the second alien. O'Brian's panic should buy them enough time to flee; in his current state, Cecil can smell the fear from the FBI fellows, and O'Brian has by far the most.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG