Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
The day dawns bright and clear. A perfect day for science. A perfect day for war.

"The particle accelerator is up to speed, ready to begin tunneling whenever you are."
"Excellent."


"Hey, corporal, did you ever find out what was wrong with the starboard turbine on Osprey 3?"
"Yeah, some poop was stashing his comic collection in the housing. The vibration rattled 'em lose and the belts pulled 'em into the turbine. Gummed the whole thing up."


"Captain! The Necromancers found some more zombies somewhere, our own Zeds are getting pushed back."
"Send a company of skeletons to the front, and all available battle mages to provide support."
"That's not going to hold them."
"I know. Gods we need a miracle."

"Beginning tunneling in three, two, one...."

"Hey! What happened to my comics!?"

"Something strange is happening. Call for a seer, immediately!"

Reality shifts. Everyone experiences a moment of total darkness and disorientation, and then everything is normal again, the moment ready to be forgotten. Except telephones no longer work, internet connections have failed, and radios no longer squawk out unintelligible conversation, or blare out music. Slowly realization dawns on a few. There is no sound of cars or the city. What was once a metropolitan area has now become dense forest. Something is wrong. An alarm sounds in the Marine base, and training takes place of panic. An announcement is made at the university, and panic is staved off only with massive amounts of alcohol provided by the student bar and grill. A few oddly dressed travelers are seen on the road in front of the university, and in front of the base. Questions are asked. Answers are given. The travelers are allowed to pass as bewildered guards head back to their posts to radio in their findings in disbelief.

Time passes. It begins to rain.

More are seen on the road. These are better dressed then the last few who passed, and carry an air of authority. They stop and wait for the guards.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 16304
Website: http://www.facebook.com/Jos.Flanagan
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Location: Up on the hill, down by the river.
Standing in the top hatch of a still-painted-for-the-damn-desert-even-though-we've-been-back-three-months HMMWV, Nate Hagan rests his elbows on the roof of the vehicle and tries to keep the water running down his hood from draining inside his jacket with only moderate success.

"First they steal my comics. Then they tell me they were destoryed. Then we get... teleported, or some bullsh*t, to another dimension. Then they tell us that there are a bunch of civilians here too. Then they don't tell us anything."

From inside the vehicle, the other three members of the squad groan. They've been hearing a variation on this theme, non-stop, for six hours.

"Yeah, Ray. We know."

"I'm just saying that its bullsh*t."

"Yeah, Ray. We know."

"I mean, it's like, what the hell could have happe-target front! Three unidentified figures!"

The rest of the squad open their doors, despite the rain, and the riflemen in the back take up position behind some haistily-erected jersey barriers. The sergeant in the front-passenger seat grabs a mic off the dash.

"Stop right there, hands up, and do not approach the vehicle."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:59 pm 
Offline
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 pm
Posts: 866
Sam sits atop his horse, wrapped in a large gray hooded cloak that covers all of his small body except his boots. He contemplates the scene before him, as he and his companions ride around the bend of the road.
A box-shaped carriage, painted in spots of light and dark browns and grays, sits in the roadway behind a line of oddly shaped stones recently placed across the road. A man in an unknown uniform stands exposed from a hatch on the carriage’s top.
When the occupants of the carriage notice Sam and his companions, they start yelling at each other and a couple step out and move to positions behind the stones holding what resemble crossbow stocks with metal tubes in lieu of bows on top. From the carriage, a loud booming voice can yells in an unknown language, "Staup rit daer, ans oop, andu naut abroech de be icul."
Sam glances briefly at his companions, seeing incomprehension on their faces as well. He puts his hands out in front of him palms down, inadvertently exposing a singed stuffed bunny sitting behind the horn of his saddle, and yells back to the men, “Can you understand me?”
The confusion is evident on the faces of the foreigners as he speaks. So, he lifts his right hand and casts an area effect translation spell on both himself and his companions and the men from the strange carriage. Once the spell is complete, he lowers the hood of his grey cloak to reveal his childlike face and long blonde hair.
“Can you understand me now?” He asks again.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:09 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 16202
ICQ: 6954605
Website: http://krellen.net
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Location: The City in New Mexico
Lenore the zombie stops as soon as commanded, and raises her hands obediently. Her wrists are limp, however.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 am
Posts: 2604
AOL: stancold@aim.com
Location: Somewhere doing something.
Tom sighs at Sam's response. "It sounds like fluent common speech to me." Tom raises his hands in response. "Good morning, chaps! Are you fine mages in need of assistance?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:56 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8698
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Without paying the slightest bit of heed to the strange men wielding the strange weapons at the group, Kajin casually hops down off of his horse and places his hands to the ground in order to inspect the strange road they have arrived on.

"What is this, some kind of strange black stone? Interesting..."

Looking up at the strange men, as if noticing them for the first time, Kajin speaks.

"Such strange arms and armor. Are you all soldiers?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 16304
Website: http://www.facebook.com/Jos.Flanagan
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Location: Up on the hill, down by the river.
Given that they were actually on lookout, the Marines noticed the approaching party when they were a ways off. At least a hundred yards, and certainly not in speaking-without-a-megaphone distance.

"Locals, Sarge."

"Right."

The Sergeant lifts the mic, and when the travelers don't stop approaching, the Marines all raise their weapons. Ray racks the bolt on the mounted light machinegun.

"Attention unidentified persons. Halt where you are or we will fire on you."

"You tell 'em, Sage."

"Shut up, Ray."


Last edited by Skitzophrenik on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 16202
ICQ: 6954605
Website: http://krellen.net
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Location: The City in New Mexico
Lenore continues to stand where she was, arms held upwards in something far more resembling a woman chained up in a dungeon than the traditional "hands up" posture the soldiers would be expecting. She also continues to be the only one complying.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 am
Posts: 2604
AOL: stancold@aim.com
Location: Somewhere doing something.
Tom, who understood the distance, was shouting appropriately and followed the orders given, mutters, "Great. More magical control freaks."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:41 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8698
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Interpreting that as though it were some kind of threat, Kajin rather playfully whips up a massive gust of wind in an attempt to overturn the strange carriage.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:59 pm 
Offline
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 pm
Posts: 866
Sam lays down a wall of force between himself and the soldiers. Kajin shouldn't have any trouble casting over it, but nothing the soldiers fire should be able to penetrate the wall.

(OOC: I did mention he was yelling in my initial post, but whatever.)

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 am
Posts: 2604
AOL: stancold@aim.com
Location: Somewhere doing something.
Tom, keeping one hand up and using the other to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Sara, have I ever told you how much I hate mages?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 16304
Website: http://www.facebook.com/Jos.Flanagan
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Location: Up on the hill, down by the river.
The gust of wind rocks the HMMWV on it's springs. They aren't made to roll over from anything short of an RPG or IED anyway (true story, a buddy of mine was discharged from the Rangers after an RPG flipped his HMMWV, throwing him from the roof hatch onto a K-Rail and breaking his ribs on one side.) Ray grins and raps on the roof at Sarge.

"Lemme put some rounds down range at 'em, Sarge?"

"Negative, Ray. You get to mosey down that way and talk to them. Up top knows they're coming, and wants to talk to them. Correction: up top knows someone is coming, and wants to know if these are them. I'll cover you. Take Smith."

Ray grins, whoops, and slides out of the HMMWV onto the asphalt. He tears the top off of a bottle of five hour and downs it.

"Come on, Smith!"

----------

Two of the figures approach from the direction of the carriage, backed by a bright white light that makes the pair little but shadowy silhouettes. Eventually they resolve themselves to a pair of man-shaped figures in bulky garb, covered in some kind of oil-slick coats of a beige non-color that blends into the rainy fog well. They have helmets, so they must be soldiers, and hold crossbows without the cross-pieces made of black metal. Both have their eyes covered by dark spectacles, as protection from possession.

They stop ten paces away, and one crosses his arms over his... weapon? (it must be a weapon) which is hanging from a strap. The other holds his at the ready.

"So, you all from around here?"

The arm-folded one talks, grinning at the obviousness of his question. He has the voice that could (barely) be heard talking to the one who amplified himself with the spell.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 am
Posts: 2604
AOL: stancold@aim.com
Location: Somewhere doing something.
"Actually, I'm from a cabin in the middle of the woods just north of this quaint little village, quite lovely in the summer months. Greatest cobbler there. His names Randell. I'm sure if you mention me, he'll..."

"Rambling," Sara interrupts, perched on Tom's shoulder, "I'm sure they meant 'We're not from this world, are you?' Am I wrong, boys?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:18 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 16304
Website: http://www.facebook.com/Jos.Flanagan
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Location: Up on the hill, down by the river.
Ray nods.

"More-or-less. Now I gotta ask who the hell you folks are, and if you're not the folks I'm waiting for, I'm gonna have to ask you to turn around and head thataway. Nothing personal, like, you see."

Behind the two soldiers, back at the barrier, the lights get brighter as a second and third carriage arrive, horseless and rumbling like demons, and disgorge more soldiers in oil-slick cloaks.

The talking soldier reaches inside his helmet and puts a hand to his ear, as his eyes get a talking-to-someone-far-away look, and he nods, though probably whoever is speaking can't see him. First he talks to the far-away person (you can tell by the voice he uses) and then to the travelers.

"Yeah, we got a kid on a horse with a stuffed bunny, a guy on a horse with a... Tinkerbell, a reject from a Sabbath video, and the Corpse Bride. Hey! Names, pronto."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: