Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Re: New Game.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
You mean like a shoulder mounted nuclear missile launcher? Necromancer with a Fatman! Is the previous idea still workable?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 am 
The biggest will probably be about 2 kilotons and weigh about 100 lbs. Essentially a w82 warhead. The smallest would resemble a Davy Crockett recoilless rifle, which could be shoulder fired by two people, yes. Boom will be variable between 10-1 kiloton. Essentially a shoulder fired w54SADM.

The campaign is still kinda workable, but instead of whole bases and fleets of warships being transported, it's just going to be a university and adjacent military base. And the evil army will now be undead.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:36 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Boo. Playing against zombies is so passée.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:48 am 
Well, not just zombies. And Kajin will be able to hijack control of some of them (it's alot easier then raising your own.) But yes, the bad guys are evil necromancers and liches and such, as opposed to Kajin's good necromancer, who needs a good reason for not being evil.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Maybe my character is Evil, but really just enjoys having a good time and the Big Bad once spilled his beer?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:27 am 
Hmm. Not really all that workable given the setting. The Big Bad has such a following that going against him is pretty much suicide given the background tech level, and your character would be better off trying to backstab him from inside the organisation. Personally, I'd go with being a cleric of a god of needful death. You get control over life and death (and undeath) without having to be Evil, because death is just as necessary as life. The whole yin and yang thing. Plus it means that the locals won't try and lynch you every time you set foot in town.

Frankly, the whole alignment thing is moot because the system we're using doesn't have it. How people react to you will be based on how you act in game.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:35 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
So he basically worships the Grim Reaper, or some personification thereof?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:01 am 
Yes and no. He worships the deity who personifies death with meaning. Dying in ones sleep of old age after a long and productive life is very different from being brutally slaughtered as a child. Same as dying in battle to ward off a great evil versus dying slowly and painfully of bad mushrooms. His power allows him to ease and hasten the passing of others, reanimate the bodies of the dead to protect the living, gain control of those already animated, fend off death by healing or simple force of will, and in rare cases, return true life to the dead who died needlessly before their time. The necromancers and other bad guys who you will be fighting against are the exact opposite. They gain power from the wasted potential of those killed, things like human sacrifice, suffering and hardship, war, and the massacre of innocents all provide power that they can use to do whatever, usually more of the previous list. Your character and his deity gain power from lives well lived, the energy gained in life is passed along in death for them to use.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:34 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
So my side benefits from making sure humanity achieves its true potential while the opposing faction gains power from cutting short the potential of humanity?

What types of undead creatures will there be?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 am 
Any and all that I can find in my copy of the monster manual. It's open season. That said, we might not be able to get around to some of them, but for sure the more common ones like zombies, skeletons, ghouls, and there are a few lich necromancers out there that rate as Boss material.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Yay, Ghouls! Vampires, too.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
I was thinking more of a culture that views no real connection between the body and the spirit (bodies are just temporary vessels, and once the spirit leaves, the body means nothing), such that raising the dead would not be abomination (because you're not violating a sacred spirit home, but rather just reusing an empty vessel). And one so pressed by war that raising zombie soldiers is more or less necessity to keep from being overwhelmed.

And yes, that is the sort of details I form when not really thinking.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:06 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Antagonists? I thought necromancers LOVED zombies?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:25 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
I was thinking more of a culture that views no real connection between the body and the spirit (bodies are just temporary vessels, and once the spirit leaves, the body means nothing), such that raising the dead would not be abomination (because you're not violating a sacred spirit home, but rather just reusing an empty vessel). And one so pressed by war that raising zombie soldiers is more or less necessity to keep from being overwhelmed.

And yes, that is the sort of details I form when not really thinking.

That's a good idea. I'll probably end up using that.

Stan Cold wrote:
Antagonists? I thought necromancers LOVED zombies?

Normally, yes. Not when they're trying to kill you however. It's like how most people may like dogs, except when they're rabid.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:42 am 
Good News Everyone! I found my Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, and have the next few days off, so with any luck and a few sheets of graphing paper, the game will be ready to play within the week.

In the meantime, here is the story of How Brave Horatius Kept The Bridge to tide you over.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG