Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
As they enter the larger room, they are struck by several things. It has high, vaulting ceilings, incribed with decorative runes and lines, well illuminated by globes that glow with a soft white light, seeming to hover in midair below the ceiling. This white light eases them a bit - it is with some relief they see that they have shadows once again. The room is made of the same red stone as before on the sides, but the floor itself is a darker red, rather closer to scarlet red. The fact that the floor glistens softly, as if slightly wet, doesn't really help to dispell the illusion that it looks rather like blood. They are also struck by the fact that once all of them are in the room, a black obsidian door slams down behind them.

There are six small stone blocks, roughly knee height, made of obsidian, on the east, north, and west walls, with the blocks sitting in each corner. They have no decorations, no details. They merely seem to sit there, seeming to such up the light.

The main feature of the room is a large stone block, roughly chest height, made of a similar material of the others. It is inscribed with runes that round the top of it, all of which give a faint, reddish glow.

On the tile in the floor in front of it has this sigil:

On the tile in the floor behind it is has this sigil.

Inscribed on the block itself, on the side facing the door, is this incription:

On top of the block itself is what seems to be a great stone lever, sticking straight up out of the stone toward the ceiling.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:31 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Pretty points to the Image sigil and says, "Lights on." He then points to the Image sigil and says, "Lights off. Hey! I'm learning!"

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Ginger gazes that the inscription on the block. "There's a space before the second-to-last character. Maybe this inscription is two words? Two phrases? If this world made any sense, I wouldn't assume that these are letters and that they map to our own language, but who knows?" She then looks closer at the lever to see which ways it can swing.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:47 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
"Well, if they match the language we currently speak, my guess is that it is "Down" and "Up" respectively. Though it is merely a guess. Dual words, and the letters fit..."

The lady shrugs.

"What goes Down and Up is anybody's guess, however."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:02 pm 
"Well, if we decide to move the lever and which way we want to move it, I'm willing enough to be the one to do it," Ginger says. "May as well take a turn." She stoops to look closer at the glowing runes on the block.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Beefy shakes his head.

"Little girl, you do not need to put yourself at risk. Once the Boy has decided our course of action one of us will carry out his plan."

Beefy indicates Pretty.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 pm 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
The lever can swing to the east and to the west - which is to say, toward each of the sigils on the floor.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:04 am 
Ginger isn't swayed. "After our encounter with our oversized stone simian friend back there, I'd have to say that we are all in danger all the time. And there's no reason why it has to be the person pulling the lever that's at risk. For all we know, I could climb up there, pull that lever, and dump all of you into a pit of snakes or something." She shrugs, and resumes examining the glowing runes, trying to determine if there is any meaning to be gained from them.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 am 
On each side, the glowing red runes ringing the top of the block say the same thing:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 am 
"Enver's as good a name as any." shrugs New Kid. "And a lot better than 'New Kid'." He listens and looks as the others talk about the runes

"Down up? Well, that doesn't make too much sense, it might be. This 'lights on' and 'lights off', what letters do you think they represent?" He looks over the runes carefully. "In these side blocks, the third symbol looks like the 'w' from 'down'. We've got four-letter, five-letter, three-letter, five-letter, and that last word has the second and fourth letters the same. If it maps to English, I'm thinking that the last two words might be 'the lever'. Does anyone happen to have pencil and paper with them?"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:39 am 
Pretty much everyone has a grand total of nothing but the clothes on their back and the shoes on their feet. The only one otherwise is the Kid, who has the Star.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:00 am 
Enver looks over at the lever again. "Actually... could that be 'pull me'? Or 'push me'?"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 am 
WLM: [email protected]
"Maybe "push," but not "me" if the last word is "lever," yes?"

The Lady studies the sigils.

"If this is straight substitution, then the circles would be "E". And they aren't represented anywhere else but in the possible 'lever.' But it DOES mean that this --" she points to "lights on" -- "can also represent L, and there IS another possible 'L' character in the string of sigils besides that at the head of the possible 'lever'. Also, I believe this and this --" she points to the three dots in a vertical line "May be a vowel. There aren't too many of those, and they are far more likely to be repeated. Also, one of these --" she points to the word she previously considered as "up" "Is probably also a vowel. That is three out of five of them. And the other two are probably in here somewhere." She waves a hand at the string of sigils.

"Of course, that is only if we're working with a direct substitution. For all we know, it's backwards and upside down, or maybe three symbols represent the same letter. Who knows?" she shrugs.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
The kid shakes his head.

"I don't know. This one, this one is different for me. I don't know why, but it does not make sense. Let me think about it. You may be on the right track."

He sinks down to examine the runic sentence before checking the walls for further clues.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:07 pm 
"That symbol"--Ginger points to Image, the "light on" sigil--"also appears twice as part of the text on top of the block, once in the L position in the word we're presuming to be 'lever'". She pauses. "Lever," she says again, noticing the long E sound she gave to the word naturally that others did not. "So maybe it's L for 'light', making the other one"--she indicates the Image--"...D for 'darkness'?"

She grows excited. "And the Es in 'lever' have that symbol that we saw before in the previous room,"--she points to one of them on the block: Image--"the one The Lady associated with 'earth'! E for 'earth'! Which means the fire symbol (Image) might stand for F!" Her excitement fades. "But what about the other two, then? Wind and water? Maybe 'wind' was really 'air' and so it stood for A?" She goes silent for a bit, pondering.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG