Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
This is an idea that has been puttering around in my head for years. I want to run a game again, but I'm not going full force into Arcana (my original world Fate system game) quite yet. I've debated back and forth how to go about this game, and finally I came to the conclusion that if I want to do the story I intend to, it's going to have to be like this: systemless. Yep, this is a pure RP game. That's what will keep me posting it as a GM - I don't have to bother with character sheets and looking up rules, I can just simply run the darn thing.

As this is a pure RP game, I'm going to go over my basic rules of roleplay. For most people on the boards this is common sense, but since this is systemless I'm going to re-iterate it.

Ruan's Rules of Roleplay:

1. No 'closed' roleplay. You should never be taking control of what happens to another player or an NPC. Always make sure to leave your action 'open' – that is to say, there's an out for the target. The same goes for your own character. You don't automatically suceed. You don't 'leap over the pit', you 'attempt to leap over the pit'.

2. No godmoding. Generally speaking, when you look at what your character is doing, you should be saying 'if this is a normal human being, should he really be able to do X?' If there is any doubt as to the answer, you may wish to rethink your post. A note – for all that it seems common sense, this is probably the rule most broken I see on the forums... even by myself. This is all the more important in a system without no rolling, which is the main check on roleplay powerlevels. If there's ever any doubt whether or not a character should be able to do something, then just take it to the GM – I.e, me.

3. Keep player knowledge separate from character knowledge. Generally speaking in my games that's not -too- hard, as generally characters find out things at roughly the same time their players do.

4. Try to post more than just a single sentence per post. If this is going to be an open roleplay system, then by gum roleplay. Have some fun, be descriptive.

Not only is it a pure RP game, there will be no character sheets, no character backstory. There is a reason for this. There will be a very small amount of rolling every so often if I happen to want to decide on a bit of chance for something. For those wondering, this is going to be a dark game. Characters will die. This is not nice happy fun fantasy game (if the beginning post doesn't clue you in). Death rolls are the times when I'll be rolling for something. You won't see the rolls, you will have no idea what the target roll is, you won't even know exactly what it is I'm using to judge the roll. So if your character dies quite suddenly, realize I'm not, as a GM, just killing you on a whim. There'll be instances where it'll be bad luck that gets you killed. There will also be instances where guessing something wrong will get you killed. Not posting for a long time (over a week, barring you having a good reason) will get you killed. You might die to a monster in a fight. Heck, one of the other players might kill you.

--

The premise of the game is this: you just died. That's all you remember. You don't know who you were, you don't know what you were, you don't remember where you were from. You don't know your name. You don't even remember how you died, only that you did. Think of it as some extreme amnesia. The clothes you're wearing can only be called nondescript, though they are well kept and clean - white shirt, brown pants, socks, leather shoes. There's nothing on you otherwise, no tattoos, no watches, no wallets, no swords, no magic wands, no technogizmos - not a darn thing.

In other words, carte blanche. Nothing.

What is your character capable of then? Whatever is in the reach of a normal human being. You can be brawny, you can be brainy, you can be dexterous... but not so much so that you would go 'that's something I'd never be able to do in real life'. See godmoding rule above.

Essentially, you're creating your character in game, through his or her actions and deeds.

And yes, you do remember what happened in the void scene at the beginning of the game. Aside from that, you know pretty much nothing.

--

Now, how do you sign up for the game?

You don't.

When the opening post for the game goes up, simply post your character waking up. And, to keep things interesting... Once the game is officially underway (when you leave this first room), if anyone ever wants to join in after the game is under way, just quite literally walk in. As far as you are concerned, you woke up (in a similar fashion) in another room, worked your way through, and end up running into the party. If you hesitate to enter the game in this manner, then just tell me you want to join in and I'll bring your character in at an appropriate point.

In the event of your character dying (a definite possibility), do not pop in with a new character. For that matter, don't pop in with your original. I'll explain what happens there when the time comes.

If you wish to put your character on hiatus for a long period of time, then he/she can wander off somewhere, then when you're back, appear later.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:23 am 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
For those wanting a better picture of what the woman in the void looks and sounds like, look here. Ignore the other part of the vid with Gore and Yuka.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:33 pm 
Almost forgot to add the most important point about the statue. It's missing it's crown. Also, glad to see the faces we've already got participating.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Do we have general knowledge? I assume we know things, but we don't know how we know them. Do we remember people? How to drive a car, or calculus?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:03 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
I had a similar question. I'm playing now like I don't remember people, places, names, events -- but my personality, my skills and my general knowledge (i.e. there's gravity, there's music, there's such thing as better clothes than brown pants and white shirts) still exists. Want to make sure that's proper.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 pm 
You have general knowledge. Though exactly what that 'general knowledge' is, is completely up to you. Any knowledge you have is without connotations to your life, if that makes any sense. You might remember how to drive a car, but not what car it was, whether you lost your virginity in its' backseat, or if you ever got a ticket. Likewise, you can remember quotes and lyrics from songs and books, but you don't have any associations to them - who the quotes were by, how you heard it. You'll have to decide what your character does or does not know how to do. However, if I see a character that seems to know how to do everything, I'll be calling shenanigans.

You don't remember people, places, names, or events at all. Weatherwax is pretty spot on there. It's not like you've never met people before, or you feel like you have no past at all - your characters can feel that their memories are missing like a vague itch they can't scratch. You just can't remember.

But yeah, as you said it, you know things but you don't know how you know them.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm 
Stan, what kind of pretty is Pretty? Is he stunning like Brad Pitt? Boy next door handsome like Matt Damon? Soulfully weedy like Adrien Brody? Scruffy and a little greasy like Jake Gyllenhal? I can see everyone else in my head, but not Pretty.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:41 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Beefy looks like The Heavy, but not as characatured. Or like the illustration of Cort in the Gunslinger: Born miniseries, sans the lifetime of scars. What did you see?

Last edited by Skitzophrenik on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm 
I'm now going to be mentally hearing the Heavy's voice every time your character speaks, Skitz.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 pm 
So? I have.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:47 pm 
Much how I imagined him, actually. I can see the kid and the temper, but I can't see handsome. Just "handsome" doesn't do it for me :sasha:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Adrien Brody, essentially.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Helloooo nurse!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 pm 
weatherwax wrote:
Helloooo nose!
Fix'd.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 pm 
I actually had to look up who Adrien Brody was. Recognized him when I saw him, but I had never known his name.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG