Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ] 

Post subject: Re: Invasion! Day 0
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Frank offers Dottie a coke, flashing her a concerned look.

"You okay, Mrs. Anderson? You...seemed to have a spell there for a second after you talked to that young man."

There's no suited man to be seen down the street in either direction Cecil looks. Just the normal afternoon crowd. A couple people wave at Cecil as they walk by.

Everyone in the office glances over at Richard, giving him confused or annoyed looks. His editor waves a hand at him in dismissal.

"Well, um, I saw the man, Mr. Wagner," the waitress says as she picks up the debris from his spilled breakfast. "I can't say I heard you talk to him, though. He left in quite a hurry about 15 minutes ago."

Jethro's search for the card is unfruitful.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:20 pm 
"Morning Jason!" John says with a smile. He doesn't even stop to wonder why he was greeted in such a friendly manner. Instead he turns to look at Jason's retreating back. "There's something about him today..." he says to no one in particular. "Something different." He has to stop himself from jogging after him to talk about it but then resumes his walk to the diner. He passes by SECOND EDITION and again has a funny impulse to go in and look around but as before he seems drawn to the diner and continues on. Upon entering he spots Jethro looking flustered and talking to the waitress. He wanders over and sits down at the counter a seat or two away from Jethro and turns to look at him. "You O.K. Jethro?" he says. "It looks like I'm not the only one having an interesting morning."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
"Uh... um..." Richard is beat red and too embarrassed to talk. He gets back to work, looking as if he wished he was invisible at the moment.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
"Thank you," Jethro says to the waitress, forgetting the usual term of endearment. "I'm sorry about the mess." The waitress waves it off and finishes cleaning up. He sits back down and takes a few deep breaths.

At John's greeting, Jethro looks at him curiously. "'Interesting' ain't exactly the word I'd use. That strange man... don't know where he went." He shook his head. "Mebbe I ain't quite recovered yet."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 am 
"Hey." Cecil calls out to the one of the wavers. "Did you see a guy in a suit - coming out of the shop - did you see which way he went?"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:34 am 
The waver looks around.

"Man in the suit?" he says. "I'm not sure what you mean, Cecil. I didn't see anyone with a suit."

He smiles and walks on.

Ethel Maisley stops wiping down the specials board in front of her bakery and looks at Cecil.

"Oh, was that strange suited man a customer of yours?" she says, calling from a door down. "Not a man, really. More a lanky kid. He actually passed by my shop twice, can you believe it? Huffed on my window glass, looking at the cakes the first time. Came in the second looking pale. He bought two dozen cookies just like that and headed off east."

She looks back at her sign.

"Don't know why you're looking for him, though. That was nearly twenty minutes ago."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 pm 
"Twenty minutes?" asks Cecil, shocked. "Um, he... ordered some books... but... forgot to leave his phone number." he adds, thinking quickly.

Twenty minutes. I'll never catch him now.

"He didn't happen to leave you his phone number, did he?" adds Cecil, without much hope.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:49 pm 
Ethel laughes heartily.

"It's been a long time since any young man offered me his number," she says. She shakes her head and chuckles. "You look a little peaked. I have some leftover rhubarb pie if you want. Maybe some red velvet? Can't offer you any cookies, I'm near out now."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:40 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
"Oh, fine, dear," Dottie answers. "Nothing to worry about."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm 
"Um... Mr. Black, if it's not too much trouble, I think I'll head home early," Richard says apologetically in Mr. Black's office. "I'm feeling rather strange today."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 pm 
"Strange man?" John answers. "I had a guy in a dark suit and hat come by my shop this morning. Handed me a card..." he trails off for a minute and pats his pocket. "Don't know where it went. Don't know where he went." He pauses for a second. "Strange" he says finally.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:05 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Jethro is taken aback. "If I didn't know ya better, I'd say that you were playin' some kinda fool prank on me. What you just described is exactly what happened to me. Some guy hands me a card, and the thing sorta spreads out and crawls all over me." He shakes his head. "Sounds crazy, but I dunno how else to describe it. Itched and burned like the dickens, too. Then suddenly the feeling's gone, the card's gone, the man's gone, an' I'm left feelin' like some kinda loony." He looks to John for confirmation, and his eyes widen. "Hey, if this happened to you too, then either you and I got some special kinda crazy goin' on, or we ain't nuts and there could me more of us!"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm 
Post, uh, removed *blushes*

Last edited by weatherwax on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 pm 
Richard briefly breaks the fourth wall. "Um... Ms. weatherwax, I-I believe Little Known Opposites are, uh, that way." He points upward.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 pm 
The day draws to a close, six people marked, six people wander through their day wondering at the strangeness of their experiences. They drift off home, unsure of what to do or how to react.

The sun sets over Hill City; over two black Imperials parked on the side of the road. Eight black clad strangers stand in a field at the edge of town.

Agent Williams faces his men: Agnes, Cox, Jones, O'Brien, Cooper, Anderson. His second, Lee, stands beside him, hands behind his back.

"So all the marks were reached?" he says, pacing slowly back and forth, staring his men down. The black suit strains at the seams, almost melds to the muscles beneath. So unlike the thin, balanced Lee, with dark hair is cropped short, army style.
"Yes, sir," the men say in unison.

"It was eerie," Cox muttered. "Thing is, she -- the mark, that is -- was right where she was supposed to be. Barely had to track her."

"The same here," Jones said under his breath. "I didn't have to wait long and in walks the man himself."

"Mine was pretty easy," O'Brien said, relaxing. "From the looks of it, he never leaves the office. His reaction..." He stiffens, and feigns a cartoonish look of horror.

Cox and O'Brien chuckle. Williams whips his head around and stomps up to the men, who now stand at attention.

"You think this is funny, Cox? Think this is a laugh RIOT, O'Brien?"

"No, sir!" The men say. Williams stares them down for a minute, then stalks away. The men relax.

"Nice to know I've been assigned with a couple of childish assholes," Agnes mutters to Anderson and Jones. Jones nods sharply. Anderson rolls his eyes, pulling them forward when the silent Lee looks his way.

Cooper stares at the ground, barely listening to the ruckus around him.

"Sir," he says softly. He coughs. "Sir." His voice is firm. "What do we do now, sir?" He looks up at his superior.

Williams looks at Cooper. His rookie. His innocent. He sighs.

"We wait, Cooper," he says. "We wait. Move out. You know your assignment. And try to sleep."

He looks up at the sky.

"Tomorrow's gonna be a long day."

(Thread can be Locked now)

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG