Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Taddeo Tammaro Grigorus
Human Male Duelist

Above Average: Combat, Social
Average: Physical, Awareness
Below Average: Magic, Covert

Advantage: Exceptional swordsman
Disadvantage: Rake
Quirk: Tries to remain immaculately garbed. Hates being dirty.

Ally group: Grigorus noble family.
Enemy group: Cornaro noble family.

Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony 'Dead Man' Wilson
Elf Male Rogue

Above Average: Social, Covert
Average: Awareness, Combat
Below Average: Physical, Magic

Advantage: High Charisma
Disadvantage: Easily Swayed by Women
Quirks: Constantly Joking

Ally group: Women
Enemy group: Government

CCC wrote:
Name: Sparrow Goodfellow
Race: ---Classified--- (revealed early on to be fairy)
Specialty: Illusion magic (which is why it's so hard to tell his race at a glance)

Skills:

Above average: Magic, Social/Manipulative
Average: Awareness/cleverness, Scouting/covert
Below average: Athletic/physical, Combat

Advantage: ---Classified---
Disadvantage: ---Classified---

Quirk: Easily distrac- oooh!

Ally group: Animals
Enemy group: ---Classified---

Dodger77 wrote:
Greenleaf
Human Ranger

Above Average: Scouting/Covert, Physical
Average: Awareness, Combat
Below Average: Magic, Social

Quirk: Loves Animals! (The more dangerous, the better!)

Disadvantage: Distrusts magic.
Advantage: Skilled bowman.

Ally Group: Elves (Forrest elves in particular, in case there are more than one kind of elf)
Enemy: People who disrespect nature.

FreakyBoy wrote:
Zaljan the Voodoo Man
Elf Male Voodoo Man (Priest/Mage)

Above Average: Magic, Awareness
Average: Physical, Social
Below Average: Combat, Covert

Advantage: High Charisma
Disadvantage: Curious
Quirk: Speaks wit' da accent, mon.

Allies: Necromancers and Diablists
Enemies: The Church

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:05 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Day 0:

inspiration wrote:
I am pleased to accept your application to assist on my simple but vital task. Please report to the Lavender Goblin tavern at ten past three o'clock, upon the day after tomorrow. Give this letter to the barman upon entry.

I look forward to our meeting.

Sincerely,
Jave M. Suya

Eight people show up at the tavern:
Anthony "Dead Man" Wilson, an elf rogue
Taddeo Tammaro Grigorus, a human duelist
Edric the Red, a human wizard
Punchy McBeatemup, a human brawler
Zaljan, an elf voodoo man
Sparrow Goodfellow, a fairy illusionist
Greenleaf, a human ranger
Sister Hildreth, a human cleric

David L. Watkins wrote:
Sister Hildreth comes in, a bit hesitant to be in such a . . . rough place. Not where she would normally go, but whatever the job requires. The money goes to the needy, where it should. She wrinkles her nose at the odor of stale beer. Who lets beer go stale? Heathens and heretics, the lot of them.

The members of the party begin to meet and greet each other.
Skitzophrenik wrote:
Punchy gets up with a growl, grabs his chair by the legs, and takes the thief to the ground by expedient of smashing his legs out from under him. Don't ever let a player know that your character stole from their character. Characters tend to be a bit psychic (and psychotic) about that. The little drunk pins the thief to the ground with a surprisingly powerful frame and leans down close to his ear.

"My purse is lighter than it should be. Do you give me my coin back or do I kill you instead?"

They meet Jave and learn about their mission.
inspiration wrote:
"In my grandfather's day, the wealth of Morasté lay in the coffers of the nobles. They alone could fund the soldiers and grain needed for the kingdom to thrive. And thrive, it did. So much so that there was even a little wealth left over for those of us who are not so nobly born." He grins and turns his hand, letting the heavy rings on his fingers catch the light from the high, narrow windows.

"But it is said in the streets that we traders made our fortunes on the backs of the less fortunate." He stops pacing, his face grown quite grim. "From the least cabbage-merchant to the wealthiest fleet-owner, we are set upon from all sides. Bandits ride the roads; pirates gnaw our coastlines. Cambárya is a tinderbox, and our capital Olta Mora only keeps its peace through martial law." He looks around the table, meeting each person's eyes. "It is into this that I must send you. But fear not!" He smiles broadly. "The trip is a quick one, and easy too, you shall see. I plan for the worst, but never expect it."
Oh, Jave.
inspiration wrote:
"I have hired you all as transporters -- yes, as security, and diplomats, and creative thinkers, and whatever else might be required in a worst-case scenario -- but mainly, I have hired you to transport an item of my most priceless cargo from here" (he indicates Alárya [on the map]) "to here" (he indicates Olta Mora) "within a fortnight.

"Ordinarily, I would use a sea route, but there are too many pirates at this time of the year. Instead, I have chosen the most advantageous land route." (He traces the dotted line connecting Alárya to Olta Mora.) "I have contacted partners and allies at the towns marked on the map. You will find safe, quality lodging and ample food when you arrive. I will provide you with the list of names." He sighs heavily. "The rest of the time, you will have to find your own lodging, I fear. This is all very sudden for me, and I must leave with my ships on the late afternoon tide."

The party discovers that Jave's "priceless cargo" is his twelve-year-old daughter Yala. They spend the night at the Lavender Goblin.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:06 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Day 1:

They depart in three (later retconned to two -- one for passengers and one for gear/cargo) ox-carts pulled by magic-bred oxen. Sister Hildreth sneaks into a stable and buys a horse, which she rides away from the party and out of sight.

As they reach the open road, they encounter their first problem:
inspiration wrote:
The caravan tops a little rise, revealing a sliver of the chaotic scene ahead: a huge bonfire, contained in a crackling blue field of what looks like cheap hedge magic.

A horseman nearby swears disgustedly. "This is Noble's work, I'd wager my boots." He spits. "Filthy peasants!"

The party reaches the bonfire and is stopped by a group of nasty-looking men. Yala announces that her father is rich and powerful, which doesn't help the situation. The party puts out the fire and defeats the men with a combination of swordplay, knife fighting, weather magic, voodoo, illusions of people seeing their own deaths, and Edric turning a man into a sheep (followed by Punchy knocking out said sheep). They briefly take one prisoner, but let him go.
inspiration wrote:
"HEY!" Yala screams at the specks of travelers that can be seen near the horizon, coming up the road from Alárya. "THESE BRIGANDS ARE TRICKING ME WITH A THRALL OF MAGICAL GLAMOUR. AND THREATENING TO DRINK MY BLOOD."

"Oh, now, be fair," says the prisoner. "That was a joke."

"THEY ALSO ABUSED A SHEEP!" Yala yells.
Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony cuts the [prisoner's] bonds. Feeling energized from his new middle, he jumps behind Yala and yells "THIS YOUNG GIRL IS A BLOOD-SUCKING DEMON ENSLAVING US IN ORDER TO FARM AND SLAUGHTER US! SHE'LL GET YOU TOO!! You see how annoying that is!? And how no one is paying attention!?"
Yeah, those two are gonna be fast friends, I just know it.

The party arrives at the Laughing Moon tavern in Alache. They attend a theater show, featuring bawdy jokes, a play, and a woman named Chamara performing the Forbidden Dance of Mysterious Undergarments. Greenleaf participates in the play with the help of a magical glamour. Edric and Taddeo are questioned about the bonfire on the road, and who might have put it out, by a weedy stranger.

After the performance, most of the party accompanies Yala backstage to meet the actresses. Yala tries on dresses.
inspiration wrote:
"Zaljan! Don't I look pretty?" She stumblingly twirls some more. "Also, I saw a woman's Unmentionables!"
FreakyBoy wrote:
As she returns the dress, Zaljan remarks, "They be unmentionables, girlie. You ain' 'sposed ta mention them."

Edric is quite popular with the ladies and helps them load their theater wagon.
inspiration wrote:
"What did you do in the circus, then?" she calls to Edric. "Chew iron and spit out half-cent pieces?"
Grillick wrote:
Edric smiles uncomfortably. "Actually, we had quite the unusual circus. I was a fortune-teller."

Taddeo does what he does best.
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Taddeo deftly unties the cravat, and moves behind his admirer.

"Please, let me see how this would look on you. Your coloring is exquisite."

If his companion acquiesces, he ties the cloth expertly, though very slowly with lingering touches.
inspiration wrote:
"Oh, my, you are a man of skill." The actress strokes the cravat. "I'm Samara. What can I call you?" She unties the cravat and then places his fingers on it, her hands resting on his. "Show me how you did that."
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Thankful that his companions are taking care of the girl, Taddeo returns to his flirtations.

"Taddeo, milady. It is an exquisite pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The fop moves around to face her once more. He bows deeply, sweeping one arm out. With the other, he raises her hand to his lips kissing it.

"It would be my pleasure to instruct you in any manner you would please."

He holds out the cravat to her.
Rrowr.

Anthony is accused of trying to steal a woman from a dwarf named Melvin Moonforger, and ends up slashing him in the face. He meets a woman in the bar who tries to pick his pockets. He gives her thieving tips before spending the night with her.

Meanwhile, Sparrow sends an illusion to find the weedy stranger and question his motives. The stranger asks to meet in him an alley in five minutes. His illusion startles the man, who attacks, and Sparrow drops him with a sleep spell.

The party retires for the night, with Punchy, Edric, and Taddeo alternately taking watch in front of Yala's room.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:23 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Day 2

Taddeo is finishing up the last shift guarding Yala's room. Uncle Tuljan wakes Zaljan up with a feeling something is wrong.
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Ah, this is boring. No book. No ladies. No mirror.

After a while, Taddeo starts to entertain himself by composing the filthiest poems he can create within the bounds of a sonnet. Unfortunately, he must remain quiet so he doesn't recite them out loud. This gives him ample spare time to keep a sharp lookout for brigands, scoundrels and attractive passersby.
FreakyBoy wrote:
"Somethin' not right," whispers Uncle Tuljan. The present voodoo man sits upright in bed, looking at his spirit guide. "Somethin' wrong," the spirit repeats.

Without applying his traditional face and body paint, Zaljan rises, grabbing his feathered cloak and voodoo mask. He slips the mask over his face and wraps the cloak around his body as he exits the room, heading immediately for Taddeo.

"What da buzz? Tell me what be happenin', mon."
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
"Moistening. How many syllables?"

Taddeo waves at the voodoo man, keeping his voice low.
FreakyBoy wrote:
"Moist'in'. Two," replies the voodoo man, while looking around through his mask.

They discover Yala's room apparently empty, with a note saying "WE HAVE THE GIRL." After searching the room and using Zaljan's powers and Edric's hat, they find Yala.
Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony looks under the bed, thinking it'd be awesome if the girl was there.
inspiration wrote:
Yala attempts to punch him in the eye.
Stan Cold wrote:
"AHH!!!" Anthony reels back, "The brat's under the bed!" He said cupping his eye.

The rest of the party tries to coax Yala into cooperation.
FreakyBoy wrote:
"You don' really think da voodoo mon stupid, girlie. You jus' upset." He gets down on the ground so he can look at her without crunching his knees. "You mad 'cause you don' be in control, got no choice, 'cause you jus' da girlie." He nods a bit, mask scraping the ground. "I know, I used ta be da same, when Unca Tuljan tol' me I be da next voodoo mon. Didn' wanna learn da voodoo. Wanted da fun an' da ladies, instead."

He pauses a moment, and then adds, "Now I get all dat, an' da voodoo too. 'Cause I learned."
inspiration wrote:
"That's just a stupid thing adults say. I'm going to set the oxen free. I'm going to get a mage to curse you. I'm going to pledge myself to the nunnery. I'll never leave with you! EVER! I'd rather be DEAD! Not with a stupid guillble fairy and a stupid ugly dwarf and a stupid fat wizard and a stupid smelly ranger and a stupid scummy rogue and a stupid flouncy duelist and a stupid --"
CCC wrote:
In one of his misguided attempts to be helpful, Sparrow grants Ming's wish and casts a silence spell on Yala. It's more or less the auditory version of invisibility... so most people will now only be able to understand Yala if they know how to lipread.
inspiration wrote:
Whatever Yala was going to say is lost as the spell takes effect.
Dodger77 wrote:
Greenleaf gives himself an inquisitory sniff, but decides the girl doesn't know what she's talking about.
inspiration wrote:
"I think you smell fine," the stablehand stage-whispers to Greenleaf as he exits.
Dodger77 wrote:
Greenleaf thanks him, not quite fully understanding the implications of the statement.

Meanwhile, a note is delivered to Anthony at the inn.
Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony reads the note. He walks towards the room, unshaken. As he puts on his clothes, he thinks of the people who might know his true identity. The strange man outside the bar, the drunk dwarf, the plump comedian, Ginger... He looks at the bed. "Sweetie," he says innocently, "Are you secretly working for a kingpin of crime that possibly wants me dead?"
inspiration wrote:
She blinks sleepily and smooths her hair with one hand. "No," she says, "but I can pretend to be, if you're into that kind of thing."
Stan Cold wrote:
"Nah, that's fine. Just wonderin'." He walks down the hall again, fully dressed and thinking about how he's gonna break the news to the group. "Hey guys. What would you say is your favorite thing about me?"
Stan Cold wrote:
"AN OVERWEIGHT CRIME BOSS WHO WANTS TO KILL ME KNOWS WHERE I AM AND HE'S GONNA KILL US ALL!!!" Anthony says, "Oh, and you really should go to school, or else you'll end up like me."

Sparrow casts an invisibility spell on Anthony and shows an illusory Anthony escaping on a stolen horse.

The party finally leaves town, and comes upon a jailer taking a prisoner named Armander to Doche in a jail-cart. Armander claims that he only stole to feed his family after his father died and their family fortune disappeared. The party is not particularly moved by his story.
Skitzophrenik wrote:
Punchy stands up in the back of the cart and begins shouting at the criminal.

"Now look what you've done you baffoon! Your lies have gone and made this little girl all upset, either out of unwarranted compassion that her pure heart has for your lies, or out of sadness because she misses her own family very much. Either way you're a low man, Armander Chandler, and your punishment cannot be strict enough!"

Then the short man throws a beer mug that he somehow had on his person all day at the bars at the back of the jailers cart, so's he can get some glass on the crying criminal.

However, Sparrow shows Armander some sketches and determines that Sparrow owed Armander's father -- and thus, Armander -- a debt equalling the family fortune. He pays the money Armander owes the court system.

Everyone is affected by a magical scent of flowers and feeling of well-being. Zaljan realizes the road is covered by a strange illusion, and goes further up the road into a swamp to check it out. An illusory Zaljan returns to say everything's okay and they should leave the supply cart behind.
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
"Wait. No. I'm not leaving the supplies."

The scent is swimming in Taddeo's mind, but this isn't the first time he's been . . . of altered consciousness.

"All my stuff is in there. Including the soap."

He shakes his head, and almost stabs himself as he raises his hand to his face.

"Wha?"

The jailer, driver, and prisoner on the jail-cart are hit by a sleep spell. The party is attacked by invisible fairies. Sparrow creates a dragon illusion. Greenleaf, still affected by the well-being spell, tries to climb a tree to get a better look at the dragon.

Anthony uses a magic ocarina to dispel the illusion on the jail-cart, which is sinking fast, and rescues everyone on the jail-cart. Punchy and Edric drag the party's carts to safety. Working together, the group chases off the swamp fairies.

Meanwhile, Zaljan explores the fairies' camp, and meets resistance from its inhabitants.
FreakyBoy wrote:
Since the tree doesn't stop, the JuJu comes out.

The swamp explodes.

Well, not really. But things that are usually still - stagnant pools of water, flows of mud, still air - suddenly burst into a flurry of activity, buffeting trees, fairies, and voodoo men alike. The spirits don't really act with control - they've pretty much been unleashed, and simply do what comes natural. The ground shakes and flows, water splashes and crashes, air gusts and flurries.

Zaljan falls out of another tree.
The party finds a large cache of goods, including plenty of booze, in the swamp. Zaljan gives Armander a rock to hold while he's flogged, so the spirits will protect him. Sparrow travels to Armander's house and gives a portion of the blood debt owed to Armander's husband and children. He still owes them a bit over 100 gold pieces. He also gives them some ideas for a song about elves farting bad smells.

Coming out of the swamp, they meet a trio of pilgrims: Jakob, his pregnant wife Ruth, and their rather provocative daughter Emma. They discuss religion and the miracle at Doche. Eventually, they part ways. Come nightfall, the party finds a field and makes camp.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:00 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Day 3

The party gets back on the road. Soon, however, they find themselves meeting a stream of travelers coming the other way. It turns out that the road ahead has been closed with a roadblock. Sparrow creates an illusion of a pretty woman attacked by goblins to try to draw the guards away from the roadblock. Several guards follow the girl, but the rest figure out it's fairy magic and put up an anti-magic shield. Learning that the group has encountered the swamp fairies before, the guards let them in on the situation: a family disappeared from a pilgrim encampment, and swamp fairies are suspected to be behind it.

Everyone goes to the encampment to investigate, except Yala who is left behind, handcuffed to a guard. Sparrow consults the local wildlife. Anthony goes into the farmhouse by the encampment and ends up being fed a lot of pie. Greenleaf and Zaljan search the area.
FreakyBoy wrote:
Seeing where Greenleaf is headed, Zaljan asks, "Tracks come back? Prob'ly jus' folks answerin' call o' nature."
Dodger77 wrote:
"Several Tracks got out to a rock, then disappear. only one set of tracks comes back. Need somebody to y'know, magic the rock. check it for clues."
FreakyBoy wrote:
Zaljan nods. "Okay. I go ask rock if it got peed on."

And Zaljan goes to do just that.
After consulting with the rock, they move it and discover a tunnel leading down into the earth. Edric's hat shows him that the kidnap victims are the pilgrims they met on the road the day before, and that they are being held in a cave.

Sparrow sets off to find the pilgrims from one direction on the advice of some animals. A snake attacks him and he puts it to sleep.
CCC wrote:
Then he points at the snake and begins casting several spells. Telekinesis, to make the snake fly, to hold it away from any walls, and to always drag it back to the centre of this cave no matter where it may go. An extension on the sleep spell, to keep it asleep, and alive, for a thousand years. Invisibility and silence, to make it hard for others to notice and thus to prevent it from being killed before the thousand years are up. And an illusion spell, to fill its dreams (and, in a thousand years' time when it finally wakes up, its waking moments) with sounds of everything that the snake fears and dreads coming true, all at once, continuously.
Sparrow is not the nice kind of fairy.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party heads into the tunnel, following Edric's hat's directions. They fight a group of large rodent golems and travel through a treacherous lattice-floored room. Water knocks Edric's hat down toward a pool below. Anthony jumps in after, missing it, and comes out in a tunnel lower down.

Sparrow finds the family imprisoned by a rune. He reduces its power enough for Ruth and Emma to escape, but they have to leave Jakob behind. He leads them through an illusory room of mirrors. Sparrow runs into and fights with an illusionist, who cuts Emma badly before getting put to sleep.

The rest of the group continues on.
Skitzophrenik wrote:
"We've never gone wrong followin' tha hat before."

Punchy bends down, rubs his foot, and winces.

"Hey Zaljan, ye got anythin that cen fix me foot? I think I broke it a wee bit on that stone doggie's chops."
FreakyBoy wrote:
"Ja, jus' hop on otha foot 'til you betta."

His grin is obvious despite his mask.
Skitzophrenik wrote:
"Don't be an arse."
They encounter tooth-like rock formations. A similar-looking ring of teeth, this one moving, comes up behind them. Zaljan blocks it with cave rock. They find Jakob and follow Sparrow's trail out. Zaljan heals Emma.

Anthony sees a robed figure approach and then run away.
Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony decides to ignore the mage and run towards the women, which is one of his rules to a good life.

"What's wrong here?"
inspiration wrote:
Emma's eyes light up as he draws near. "It's you!" she breathes, extending her hands toward him. "Joe Black ... the one ... with the cute friend ..." She faints on top of him.
Stan Cold wrote:
"Huh. I never thought of Punchy as cute, but if yer in to that sort of thing.
Skitzophrenik wrote:
"I'm bloody gorgeous, but I believe she means the galoot."

Punchy digs an elbow into Eric's leg.

"Hear that, galoot?"

The group heads for the surface.
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Taddeo had helped when asked, and supported when needed as the party moved along. For all that this was a dangerous and important mission, mostly his concern was focused on the state of his clothing.

And the filth.

And the smell.

There had better be an inn, with a bath, maybe even scented oils in his future, or someone was definitely going to be introduced to his rapier.

Aboveground, Sparrow casts an illusion to try to get the illusionist to talk. He neglects to tell anyone what he's doing, so when the illusionist reflects the illusion back on everyone else, it causes mass confusion. Zaljan removes the curse that prevents the man from giving any information. Edric learns that the mage who put the curse on the man is in Oemi. A stranger approaches them from the woods and tries to kill the prisoner. Edric's magic makes him run into a tree and concuss himself.

Anthony attempts to teach Jakob how to fight, but when he fake-kidnaps Emma to spur Jakob to action, the guards get involved, the whole thing goes wahooney-shaped, and Anthony escapes by leaping through the trees.

Edric and Zaljan, fed up with Sparrow, work together to catch and kill him, although not before Sparrow knocks several party members out with sleep spells. After they turn the prisoners over to the guards and get back on the road, Zaljan resurrects Sparrow and lets him go.

Late in the evening, they arrive at the inn in Doche. Yala says she's not feeling well and Zaljan makes her tea. Sparrow hangs around watching. When Zaljan goes to bed, the fairy tries to throw a sleep spell at him, giving him some residual grogginess.

Edric, Punchy, Greenleaf, and Taddeo have dinner in the dining hall, where the actresses from Alache are also eating. Taddeo reconnects with Samara and learns that the Doche Church has seized a theater the women bought, claiming it's the site of a miracle. Taddeo and Samara retire to his room together.

Anthony buys a new outfit and heads to the Bareknuckles district, where he flirts with an elf slumming it and then returns to the hotel.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Day 4 aka The Longest Day Ever

Skitzophrenik wrote:
Punchy snores like an anachronistic chainsaw.

In the wee hours of the morning, Zaljan's uncle's spirit wakes him at the smell of smoke. The stables outside the inn are on fire.

Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Taddeo is also asleep, though if his friend is present, she may wake him up. As long as no-one tries to enter his room, he can sleep through shouting.
inspiration wrote:
Samara is a light sleeper, and sits bolt upright at the sound of commotion. She listens to the shouting until she hears someone in the hallway say "fire." Then with a cry, she leaps out of bed--unfortunately, planting her foot directly on Taddeo's more sensitive area as she does so--and dashes from the room, pulling her robe on as she goes.
Dom/SlimKop wrote:
"HOLY %&*#!"

Taddeo is up, grabs his rapier and is looking around the room in shock. Samara is gone, the door is open, people are shouting and by the gods of the earth air and sea his balls hurt.

Next step. Pants.

Anthony helps the actresses save their theater wagon and equipment from the flames. Sparrow helps the animals escape the burning stables and then fights the fire with a water-control spell that dumps sludge everywhere. Zaljan summons Da Mojo to force the fire spirits to flee.

inspiration wrote:
When the bright light and concussive sound of the collision fade, the bathhouse is lying on its side, there's a two-foot chasm cracked through the courtyard, and every window in a 100-yard radius has been shattered.

On the plus side, the fire has definitively been extinguished.

Punchy retrieves the party's remaining gear from the wrecked stables.

Anthony punches a Doche cleric in the face and then collapses. The actresses bring him into their bedroom to show their gratitude.

Edric and Zaljan discover Sparrow hiding in the inn. They argue about Sparrow's contributions to the party. Eventually, Sparrow offers to travel ahead with Anthony and scout for danger. Edric traps him in a jar and gives him to Anthony.

Everyone Else
After catching what sleep they can, everyone is alerted to a disturbance in the courtyard, where Samara's body is discovered. Edric's hat shows him that she came upon a Doche Church cleric casting a spell and was killed.

Greenleaf looks after Yala, who is fascinated by his ranger's abilities in making drugs and paralytics.

Taddeo is questioned by Detective Rhodes, who has him put him under a truth spell. He insists Edric be present as well. Edric tells Rhodes what his hat showed him, but Rhodes questions his honesty and calls him an illusionist. It is clear that due to the political tension in the town, the police will not accuse a church member.

Zaljan is questioned by a watchman named Evans. The police suspect him of being a necromancer and killing Samara. He tells Evans that he will be able to talk to Samara's spirit and amazes him by showing him the spirit world through his mask. Evans and a police mage named Rabbit escort him out to the body.
inspiration wrote:
"I was staring at my body most of the time," the spirit says. "I hadn't figured it out yet, then. And a voice said, 'Why did you do that?' and a closer voice said, 'What else would you have me do?' and then some quite nasty things about me being a prostitute and sinner and worse, and then the closer voice dragged my body away and put it under a tarp. He was a human, with pock-marked skin and a crooked eyebrow, all in black robes. And then later there was an explosion, and later some watchmen came by and found me, and that's when I realized I was dead."

"You didn't see this man anywhere?" Evans points to Zaljan.

"No. Not then. The explosion ... makes me think of him for some reason. But he wasn't in the alley."

Samara asks to have her spirit bound to the theater wagon. Evans has Rabbit put an invisibility spell on Zaljan so he has time to do this and then leave town.

They ride out amidst a driving thunderstorm. Near the actresses' theater, now seized by the church and turned into the Miracle at Doche, they come upon the actresses' theater wagon and find the women plotting revenge.
FreakyBoy wrote:
Zaljan shakes his head. "Don' go. Don' let you cause trouble, get killed, get people killed. Don' be da point." He stamps his foot. "Dyin' be stupid! Especially for revenge. Revenge stupid! Samara not mad! She not bound by vengeance, she bound by love. She love sistas, take care of sistas. She don' ask to be able to kill, or hurt, or nothin'! She ask to protect. An' you don' go be stupid an' make it all for nothin'."

(This makes me cry every time I read it.) Zaljan's powers allow Samara's spirit to talk to her sisters, and he warns them not to kill anyone.

Later on in the day, they meet an orc boy who tries to get them to come to the Summer Friendship Festival in Oak Hill, but they decline. After that, they come upon the site of a massacre by bandits, using some kind of magical device more powerful than the average bandit would be able to get his hands on. They save a girl who was injured and lost her leg.

In Enche, Yala fails to convince the innkeeper that she's being kidnapped. The party retires to bed.

Sparrow and Anthony

Anthony releases Sparrow outside of town. They are shot at by an elf woman named Berry. Anthony throws his knife into her leg and then assists her. Sparrow tries to put her to sleep, but her magic bracelets absorb the spells and knock him out. She requests Anthony's help.
inspiration wrote:
"One question. How you feel about kill people and take their stuff?"
Stan Cold wrote:
"I love you," Anthony says mindlessly, "Uh, I mean, I have no problem with it at all!"

Berry explains that there is a group of bandits attacking travelers and making trouble for her own gang. She leads Anthony and Sparrow toward their camp and reveals there is a powerful spell over the camp that confuses anyone who tries to find it.

Sparrow puts a silence spell on Anthony, who scouts ahead. As his thoughts are all of murder, loot, and Berry, he escapes the spell and stumbles on the camp. The guards believe he is ensorceled, due to the silence spell, and capture him when he attempts to leap from tree to tree.

While Sparrow casts illusions to sow confusion throughout the camp, Anthony's impassioned speech gives him a chance to convince the bandit guards that they should be robbing aristocrats, not merchants. In the confusion caused by Sparrow's magic, he sneaks into the leader's tent and finds a box meant to contain a magical item.

The leader figures out that there's a fairy in the camp and attacks Sparrow with a magical fire-stick. When Anthony comes out, the leader attacks the elf, but the box protects Anthony from the fire. Sparrow casts an illusion to make Anthony look like the leader. Anthony kills the leader, and the two manage to escape the camp.

Berry warns Anthony that the fire-stick and box are dangerous, and must have been earned as part of a deal with someone powerful.

Arriving in Enche, Anthony is shown pictures of several persons wanted for questioning, including the cleric he punched in Doche. They meet up with Ruan, a druid hired by Jave Suya to assist them. They buy a horse for Anthony to ride and another to pull Ruan in a fly, and then they spend the night in a nearby luxury inn.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG