Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:19 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Traverse City, Michigan. Not a small town, nor a big one. Just somewhere in the middle. There's Northwestern Michigan College, where all the hipsters go to college. There's Central High School, right next to the college. There's East Bay, the large bay connected to Lake Michigan. There's the Traverse City State Hospital, a shut-down asylum next to the Traverse City. Behind this asylum is a forest. Inside that forest was a tree house. Inside that tree house is... well, I'm getting ahead of myself.

In that very same forest, a cult gathers. After years of blood sacrifices, chanting and bon fires, they finally had the powers to take over the town, and possibly the world.

On the outskirts of town, a scientist is shot dead. Not by a man nor a woman, but by a machine. A machine with friends.

On another outskirts of town, possibly on another side of town, in another secret laboratory, animals escape cages. Animals that haven't lived on earth in 75 million years.

These three force are going to turn Traverse City into a living Hell. But hey.

IT HAPPENS.
A game by Stan T. Cold

This is what you're looking at. A game using the GURPS 4th edition system. A story that is complex and fairly simple at the same time. You'll be playing characters 15-21 years old. Your character point limit will be 125.

Character Creation

Basic Attributes: Attributes are define four basic abilities: Strength (ST), Dexterity (DX), Intelligence (IQ) and Health (HT). In each attribute, you start out with a level of 10.

ST: In Strength, it costs 10 points for each level above 10. Strength is your physical power, endurance and bulk. It is crucial in events such as hand-to-hand combat and lifting things.
DX: In Dexterity, it costs 20 points for each level above 10. Dexterity is your agility, coordination and fine motor skills. It is crucial in events such as shooting an arrow or picking a lock.
IQ: In Intelligence, it costs 20 points for each level above 10. Intelligence is your perception, creativity and willpower. It is crucial in events such as planning an escape route or solving a riddle.
HT: In Health, it costs 10 points for each level above 10. Health is your energy, vitality and resistance. It is crucial in events such as... well, surviving.

Note: You may also reduce scores and receive a full refund.

Secondary Characteristics: These attributes are more specific and are determined by your basic attributes.

HP: Hit Points are your ability to withstand injury. Right off, your HP are equal to your ST. It costs 2 points to increase your HP by 1.
Will: Will is your ability to withstand psychological stress. Right off, your Will is equal to your IQ. It costs 5 points to increase your Will by 1.
Per: Perception represents your general alertness. Right off, your Per is equal to your IQ. It costs 2 points to increase your Per by 1.

Build: This is your height and weight.

Appearance: Looks aren't everything, but they are something. There is a wide spectrum of appearances, each with their own pros and cons.

Horrific: People don't want to look at you, for fear of loosing their lunch. This subtracts 6 from reaction rolls, but gives you 24 points to spend.
Monstrous: You look like a monster. And not "serial lady killer" monster. Like "B-Movie alien swamp thing fro the Twilight Zone" monster. This subtracts 5 from reaction rolls, but gives you 20 points to spend.
Hideous: You are exceptionally ugly. Nuff said. This subtracts 4 from reaction rolls, but gives you 16 points to spend.
Ugly: Your just ugly. Nothing more, nothing less. This subtracts 2 from reaction rolls, but gives you 8 points to spend.
Unattractive: You're not ugly. But your a little less than average. This subtracts 1 from reaction rolls, but gives you 4 points to spend.
Average: You look pretty normal. Indistinct from the crowd. This gives no additions or subtractions.
Attractive: Not beautiful, but good looking. This adds 1 to reaction rolls, but costs 4 points.
Handsome (or Beautiful, for the ladies): You could turn some heads. This adds 4 to reaction rolls for those attracted to your gender, 2 to those who aren't, but costs 12 points.
Very Handsome or Beautiful: *Whistle Whistle*. This adds 6 to reaction rolls for those attracted to your gender, 2 to those who aren't, but costs 16 points.
Transcendent: A perfect specimen. This adds 8 to reaction rolls for those attracted to your gender, 2 to those who aren't, but costs 20 points.

Advantages, Disadvantages and Skills: These help smooth out your character. A list of Advantages, Disadvantages and Skills can be found here.

This game is fairly light hearted, though horrific at times (see Shaun of the Dead). Remember, have fun and if you need help, ask.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
This looks like fun, but I am crazy busy at work right now. I've only played GURPS online, so it's going to take me a bit to make a character. I think I have a character creation utility at home, so I'll use that.

Nice to see a new game starting!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:31 pm 
I have made a character, but how can I just post the character sheet? Or do I have to type out all my stats?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:02 am 
Skarian wrote:
I have made a character, but how can I just post the character sheet? Or do I have to type out all my stats?

Hmm... You'll probably have to type your stats out. Unless you can just copy and paste it.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:17 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
I will play in any game that Dom plays in, generally. However I'll be working 30 hours in the next two days, so I really won't be able to think about anything till Friday. If I remember reading this on Friday I'll do something with it, if I've forgotten, it isn't because you didn't have a good idea, just that I work two jobs and play a DII sport.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
If Skitz and Dom play, I'll play.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:01 pm 
Glad I'm getting some players this quickly. If I get five players, we'll start.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Skitz, Dom, and Freaky have all expressed interest. Quite an all star crowd. If they see something in it, I may as well throw my hat into the ring as well. The next two weeks are going to be rough for me seeing as it's the end of the quarter and finals are rapidly approaching, but I'll definitely make a concerted effort to join in if you'll have me.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm 
Yay! I'm glad Skitz and Freaky are in (I read the Fallout game. Man I wish I could have been in that!)
F.Y.I. I have never played a game with the GURPS system before so if I did something wrong please let me know. Also if someone else could go over the math for abilities a second time for me that would be great.

Name: Michael Weitseher
Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 230
Appearance: Tall, muscular man of obviously Germanic descent. Has dark brown hair that is cut short and piercing brown eyes.
St: 14
Dex: 10
IQ: 9
Ht: 10
HP: 13
Will: 10
Per: 10
Fp: 10

Image: Average I just left everything here blank.

TL: I'm not 100 percent sure what this means

Languages: Native speaking/writing-English/German

Wealth: Dead broke (-25)

Advantages(point cost) [levels] : Acute hearing [3] (6), Acute vision [4](8), Catfall (10), Combat reflexes (15), Danger sense (15), Enhanced block(5), Enhanced Dodge (15), Enhanced parry-all (10), Fearlessnes [4] (8), Flexibility (5), Hard to kill [5] (10), High pain threshold (10), Perfect balance (15)

Disadvanteges: Code of Honor-formal always (-15), Honesty (-10), Reluctant killer (-5), Cannot harm innocents (-10), Phobia-common [Large bodies of water] (-15), Sense of duty- small group/entire race/ every living being [order of priorities], Truthfulness (-5), Vow-great (-15)

Quriks: Constantly fingering small pendant (God help you if you mess with it), Speaks slowly and deliberately, Looks deeply into people's eyes

Skills: +2(12) Acrobatics, +4(12) Brawling, +3(12) Climbing, +2(12) Escape, +3(8) Jumping, +2(12) Karate, +3(12) Melee weapon-average [Staffs], +1 Melee weapon-hard [Swords], +2(8) Stealth, +2(8) Survival

Description: Michael has not lived a charmed life. Far from it, in fact. He was born to American parents but was raised in Germany where they worked for a pharmaceutical manufacturer. At age 6 he almost drowned when a freak accident on the North Sea sank the ship he was on, killing both of his parents. This left him with a deep fear of large bodies of water, from lakes to oceans. He then went to live at an orphanage which was perhaps the worst place he could have possibly gotten sent to. The owner was horribly corrupt and the other children were little better. In order to protect himself he started taking classes in self defense which ended up with him owning 4 black belts in Karate, Taekwondoe, Bājíquán, and Dragon Kung Fu, as well as being experienced in boxing and wrestling. He learned these arts all from one wize old man, Yan Jiwan who taught Michael to respect all life and that everything has a purpose. On Michael's twentieth birthday Michael learned from a friend of his father's that the accident that took his parents was no accident at all, but rather corporate sabotage of some kind. The man knew two things for sure: the killer used a fake name of Johnny Langer (Lain-grr) and that after the accident he went to Flint Michigan. Consulting with his master, Michael decided to go to Flint, vowing not to stop until he had discovered the truth of his parents deaths and brought their killer to justice. From Flint he tracked the man to Traverse City where he completely ran out of money. Luckily he is a resourceful lad who knows how to get by with little. But he definitely isn't prepared for what's waiting for him here.

Last edited by Skarian on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 pm 
You might want to put in a solid value for Sense of Duty. I'd recommend -15. Other than that, it looks pretty solid.

P.S. There IS a man I know who comes to Traverse City every so often. I call him the "Fat Man from Flint".

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Is GURPS the system we used in Dom's post apocalyptic game?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Nope. That was called Dom's magic system of made-upedness.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm 
Crap! Forgot to put values for those. Ok in the character creation thing I used those were seperate items and so they added up to -40. Is that ok? If not I can change it but it will kinda radically change my guy.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:08 am 
Thats fine. Just as long as the math works out.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm 
If there are still slots open and it doesn't matter that i wont be on much for the next ten days or so and so may be a little slow posting i'd like to join in. Not sure if i'd be up to par though.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG