Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:14 am 
"Construction permits? You can construct pretty much whatever you want inside Fangorn..."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"A lot of what I want to propose won't just be inside Fangorn Forest," Felix says, showing Lenda the tablet and the maps.

"I want to requisition unusued land somewhere in the plains between Cimmura and Fangorn. With good space to stretch out in we can really flex some of our best agricultural machines, and will have no need to spend time clear cutting forest or draining swamp to do so."

Felix shows a brief overview of places he thinks might suit the colony.

"Secondly, I want to build several facilities here in Cimmura. The first is a radio communications tower so Cimmura can be contacted from the field just as easily as our ship can. The second is a medical clinic that our doctors can use to serve the local population. The third is water/plumbing facility for bringing fresh water in, with adjoining bath facility that could be marketed as a luxury service for the upper class that could put coun back in the city's coffers after they've been so thoroughly pilfered."

Felix moves on to the next bit of documentation.

"In the more long term I want to see to the construction of an airfield near by so Cimmura can receive rapid Terran reinforcements should the need arise, as well as the general improvement of the roads and eventual construction of railyard facilities that can begin the transportation of large numbers of goods around the alliance countries as needed..."

Felix might not stop for a while unless someone intervenes and saves the poor Earl. It's easy to tell by anyone looking that he's genuinely excited to try and get in on doing what it is he studied for (building things) as opposed to destroying things or fighting.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady adds: "But first, the new head of security wants to buy some Terran communication machines. One of them will need us to bury a thin line from the this castle to the Pandion chapter house." He grins and adds: "And if it is not completely forbidden for farmers to pay their taxes in kind, I have an idea that will make paying for those machines much easier on your treasury. I am told you are the expert on that."

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:19 am 
"My goodness. One thing at a time, please. One thing at a time. Shall we start by considering this thin line? What is it made of, how is it placed?"

--------------

After a complete explanation of what a fibreoptic line is, and its use in communication, Lenda has no trouble with the idea of it being laid underground... for most of the way. However, there are a few problematic points that need to be dealt with specifically.

1. The Castle walls. For obvious reasons, taking down a part of the wall in order to lay a cable is not going to be accepted.
2. The Castle moat. It's not a wonderfully wide moat (and apparently it was used by the city's inhabitants as a public swimming area before Raven took over) but it does exist and tunnelling under it will be something of a pain.
3. The City walls. Here, Lenda suggests simply having the cable go out via the gate.
4. The Pandion chapterhouse walls. Fortunately, the Chapterhouse doesn't have its own moat.

If the worst comes to the worst, it's always possible to lay the cable over the walls - but this has obvious communication-security implications (it's easily cut at those points).

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "We have machines that can dig a suitable trench through rock, so burying it under the city and castle gates is not a problem. Depending on the bottom of the moat, we can do the same there. Or we can drill a small hole through a narrow place in the castle wall, if it makes for a more secure path. Both will be noisy, but they will not take long."

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We have a special drill called an impact driver that was designed to go through constructions as much if not more solid than stone walls. Burying the line underneath the moat itself would also be more time consuming than difficult. We have more tools and special wearable clothes that people can use for underwater construction."

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:29 am 
"The noise will not be a problem," says Lenda. "...as long as it does not cause injury in and of itself. And it can be kept away from the hours of sleep. The real question here is whether or not it weakens the structure of the wall -"

"Oh, for crying out loud!" And suddenly Piper is there, and looking terribly annoyed. "This is booooring! Look, you want to put the line in, and you want them to put it in. It's pretty much a given that that line is going to go in, so why don't we just skip all the boring parts and go on with the fun parts of this adventure?"

"Young lady," says Lenda sternly, "these boring parts may be tedious, but I assure you that they are necessary -"

"No, they're not! ...there, the cable's in place, so nyah! Now can we please go on and do something more fun?"

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:28 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"...between here and the throne room, my life has had an entirely uninteresting amount of knocking holes into castles. Really, how often does one get the chance to say they did that?"

Felix sighs.

"I suppose I could get you in touch with David? He's the head admin and will best be able to coordinate resources. You did want to go see our ship at some point, yes?"

He turns to Piper.

"I believe Arkady wanted to go find that troll den. I think a journey of that distance would be nice to take a helicopter, if you have an interest in flying?"

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:46 am 
"Flying can be fun," grants Piper, contemplatively. "But nowhere near as fun as you messing around in Ghwerek's workroom!"

You have pretty near one of everything back in the Ship - including a heavy transport helicopter.

Now, for purposes of exploring a new planet, you have several small, one-man helicopters, intended to be used to get a good view of nearby terrain. You have exactly one heavy transport helicopter. It can be re-used, but, in short, if you come back without it, David is probably going to yell at you.

Fuel is another possible issue. Some calculation (and some information from Piper on how far it is to Ghwerek's home) tells you that you do have enough fuel to go there and back. Once. You do have a little over the minimum for that, but you should probably refrain from much in the way of side trips.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:56 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady watches this, shakes his head, then looks back at Lenda. "I am thinking that when the machines themselves get here, payment could be arranged by farmers near Fangorn Forest paying taxes in kind for a while. You save coin, we get the food we would have used it on anyway, the farmers save a few trips to market: everyone is happy. In principal, of course."

After Lenda responds, he looks at Piper. "Piper, why would it be so much fun for us to examine Ghwerek's workroom?"

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:23 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
The huge grin on his face and the sensible chuckle seem to indicate that Roger is firmly on Piper's side.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I reckon it's because he wouldn't want us there? Also, a being that knew magic and lived that long may have some... interesting toys."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG