Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:36 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Assuming he's not getting vibes of the queen about to lose her cool, and wondering just how much farther this is going to go before someone balks, Arkady says: Then please forgive one final thought: if pardoned, would you lead a completely blameless life going forward under kingdom law?"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:13 am 
"Naturally, the pardon would only apply to deeds in the past," says the Queen firmly. She's maintaining, at least, the appearance of her cool. "I can't have you going around and corrupting the morals of sheep in the future, can I?"

"Of course not," nods Platime. "So we are agreed, then?"

"Agreed," nods the Queen.

Platime spits in his hand, and steps forward, holding it out as if for a handshake. The Queen gives Sparhawk a quizzical look -

"It's a method of sealing an agreement among... non-noble classes," explains Sparhawk. "Both participants spit in their hands, and then shake hands while reciting the terms of the agreement. It's generally considered to signify a binding agreement."

"...ah," says Queen Cehlana. She delicately spits into her hand, and then clasps Platime's hand. "A Royal Pardon for you, for all crimes short of treason, carnal knowledge of sheep, and barratry, done prior to today, in exchange for your help in securing myself and my throne against all mortal plots, until such time as I'm satisfied that I would be safe without you?"

"Agreed," says Platime, shaking her hand firmly.

And then Talen bursts abruptly into laughter.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
With a sense that he's about to hear the other shoe drop, Arkady just waits and keeps watch. Though out of curiousity, he's going to look at this scene on the magical level (in the fond hope he's not about to become an incubus).

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:28 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger turns to look at Talen, to see if he is going to elaborate.

That's not a good sign... he thinks.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:11 am 
Arkady looks over the scene... and Piper, once again, just happens to be standing behind him (he'd swear she wasn't standing behind him a second ago? No-one else seems to have noticed the sudden change in position...)

The Blue Rose inside the ammo box is completely hidden - he can see no hint of it. That was the purpose of the box, and it is working. As for the room itself, there is a Presence, filling the room... and that Presence has a hint of childish whimsy and laughter that is familiar, that is Piper.

There's something like a bad smell about the unconscious Baron Harparin. It doesn't feel active, so to speak; it's just as if he's been hanging around near (or possibly rolling around in) something that smells bad and has picked up some of the smell as a result.

And there's something of a defensive/protective feel from the Knights. It seems... boosted? Enhanced? somewhat by the sense of childish whimsy that pervades the room.

--------------

The Knights are even more alert now, waiting, as Roger is, for the other shoe to drop. But all that happens is that Talen laughs so hard he falls over.

Platime and the Queen both look rather surprised at this. They exchange glances, then look over at Talen. Eventually, Platime speaks. "What's the joke, lad?"

It takes a minute for Talen to stop laughing enough to speak. "You, you, you - you still don't realise, do you?"

Platime frowns. "I don't realise what?" he asks.

Still chuckling, Talen elaborates. "You, you just agreed to work for her for the rest of your life!"

"No," says Platime, "I just agreed to work for her until she agrees that she would be - oh. Oh dear."

Queen Cehlana gives him a very nice smile. "I'm not sure if I'll ever feel safe without my new head of security," she says, quite pleasantly. She's holding the hand she shook with off to the side, clearly wanting to clean the spit off it as soon as reasonably possible.

"...you couldn't have said anything earlier, lad?" asks Platime, plaintively.

Talen continues to chuckle. "I didn't think you'd actually agree to a clause like that!"

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:56 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "I am not thinking a 'head of security' would have much difficulty being heard by their employer if they need to be. And a blanket royal pardon, for unspecified crimes, can't come too easily; that would cheapen them."

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:16 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"There are worse things in the world than steady employment for life, my Lord." Roger says with a smile.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:53 am 
"...I suppose I'll just have to live with it," says Platime.

The Queen nods, then turns to look at Arkady, "I can't help but notice that you're wearing my champion's ring," she says. "And my father's ring, which was thought lost."

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:18 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances down at them. "Someone had to be holding the Rose during the spell, and I was the one who thought it needed to be cast. So Sir Sparhawk loaned me his ring, and your father told us where he had hidden the other when he gave it to us."

He half shrugs: "This time they weren't needed. When I picked up the Rose, the Troll Gods demanded that I justify myself. When I told them that we were going to help heal you because I choose to serve my God and my people, and to stand against Azash, their exact words were: 'Azash? Ha, healing this insignificant mortal would spit in the eye of that filth? Then why not?' And so they did."

He grins. "It is starting to sound like Azash makes friends where ever he goes. Perhaps it will be helpful later that he does, if the troll gods are...less opposed than normal to intervening, so long as it spites him."

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Better safe than sorry, I imagine," Felix says. "If the troll gods decided they just didn't want to be held I imagine you'd be vaporized on the spot. Your wife would be quite ill-mannered with us if we let that happen."

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:04 am 
"I'm not sure they would even have stopped long enough to hear you out if you weren't wearing the rings," says Sephrenia, drily.

"So what is this Rose, and what do our rings have to do with it?" asks Queen Cehlana.

"The Blue Rose is a magical artifact which is dangerously powerful, your majesty," explains Sephrenia. "Yours and Sparhawk's rings allow it to be used without disintegrating the wielder on the spot. In this case, to heal you."

The Queen drums her fingers on the arm of the throne. "Someone is going to have to explain to me at some point how our rings gained that ability. In the meantime, though, I believe that one of those rings is part of my crown jewels, and the other is the symbol of office of my Champion. Is there any reason not to return those two rings to their proper place?"

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:10 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Knowledge of the Rose and rings is somewhat more mainstream than it apparently was just a few months ago," Felix says. "Whoever wears the rings can wield the Rose, and many would seek the Rose's power. The owners of the rings will likely be more frequent targets of assassination attempts. Especially now that Azash knows allied powers possess the Rose."

Felix coughs.

"I'm fine turning them back over. Barring ensuring their security by the simple measure of wearing them, I would suggest a deep vault."

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:23 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods towards the box with the Rose: "The rings and the Rose were carved from the same gem by the troll Ghwerek as a set: the rings to compel the Rose." He takes the rings off and holds them up: "I don't think there is any reason for these not to be returned to the crown. We killed Ghwerek, so you would have the strongest remaining claim. As for the Rose? The strongest claims seem to be the Terrans and the Church Knights, and it's also probably best that it not be kept with the rings. So I suggest it be given to the Pandions for safe keeping; they're probably best suited to protecting it from the Zemoch. And if it ever needs to be used, they're not far from here."

He glances over at Sephrenia: "You know, I am not thinking they would have killed me unless I tried to give them an order. They just don't care enough about humans to be bothered."

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:00 am 
"If it's going to lead to increased assassination attempts," says Platime, "then, as the new head of security, I have an objection to her wearing it."

"But - it's so pretty -" says the Queen.

"The thief is right, Milady," says Sparhawk. "We need to give any potential assassins less reason to go after you, not more reason."

"Please," says Platime, rolling his eyes. "You can't go around just outright calling me a thief. I mean, yes, it's accurate, but I'm occasionally going to need people who don't know me to listen to me, you know."

"...point taken," nods Sparhawk.

weremensh wrote:
He glances over at Sephrenia: "You know, I am not thinking they would have killed me unless I tried to give them an order. They just don't care enough about humans to be bothered."

"That's quite possible," nods Sephrenia. "The Troll-gods are not exactly stable, and not the most predictable beings, either. It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend risking it."

The Queen, realising that frowning isn't working, just rolls her eyes instead. "So you need both rings to use this Rose without a chance of being obliterated. Aside from healing people, what exactly does this Rose do?"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:38 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks at her: "It has a lot of power, and can do almost anything. It wants to do nothing; and from what I am hearing will not hesitate to destroy anyone who tries to keep it from doing nothing. Even if you are wearing the rings and make no mistakes: if what you tell it to do can be interpreted in a way you don't want, it will make a point of doing that just to spite you."

He shrugs. "Someone used to wear the Rose as a jewel, centuries ago. I am thinking he got away with it because the rings were lost and Azash was imprisoned. Then the Rose was lost and this court had the rings; again, you need all three. But now everyone knows all three have been found, especially Azash. Keeping any of them here and visible will probably make the Zemoch beat a path to your door, your highness."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG