Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:35 am 
"Stealth is definitely an option," says Talen. "The thieves' guild has around a dozen ways into this city that no-one official knows about."

"How many other people can you bring with you via these routes?" asks Vanire.

"...the fewer the better," admits Talen. "And there's no way that all that medical equipment can come with us."

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"It might be smarter to move swift and small until we can detain Raven and secure the throne room," Felix says."Then we can start moving in all the doctors and medical equipment under armed guard while Lady Sephrenia prepares the ritual to save the Queen."

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:02 am 
Vanire nods. "We need the throne room secured, and the Queen safe. As long as those conditions are maintained, we can take our time getting everything else ready."

He continues. "The throne room group will need to face, at worst, I'd expect a small number of soldiers backing a powerful Zemoch mage. Ideally, I'd send a group of Pandions accompanied by Lady Sephrenia; but any group of armed protectors should do."

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:52 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers. "We need to bring 11 knights anyway, to break the spell and try to cure the Queen. That may already be hard to sneak in. But what I am wondering is what we will be doing with the Rose while all of this is happening.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:35 am 
"Eight," says Vanire. "Eight Knights. The other four have died in the interval."

"We will need the Rose and the rings in the throne room when we free the Queen from her stasis," says Sephrenia. "I fear she may have only minutes to live once that spell goes down. As long as the Rose and the rings are in place at that time, it doesn't really matter what they do in the interval; protecting them from theft should be sufficient."

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I think we can handle that," Felix says.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:23 pm 
Vanire nods, and describes his plan.

--------------

In Vanire's plan, the Terrans will stay safely in the Pandion stronghold. Talen will lead nine knights into the city via his hidden routes (Sparhawk, on the basis that he is officially the Queen's Protector, and the eight needed to undo the spell; these eight include Vanire himself). Also accompanying them will be Sephrenia and the Rose. They will sneak into the throne room, undo the spell, and use the Rose to cure the Queen.

While they are doing this, a second squad of knights (led by a fellow of Vanire's size in Vanire's armour (actually one of the junior knights, but it's not like the guys on the wall will know that)) will march up to the front gates, where they will yell and argue a lot and generally draw attention.

Once the Queen has been freed and cured, she (and her protective guard of nine Knights, who one hopes all remain) will take control of the Palace and the City Guard, thus allowing the Terran trucks and medical experts slightly belated access to the Queen.

-------------

The first objection raised to this plan is Talen's - he's not sure that he can take as many as nine Knights through his routes. Part of this is because those routes are smuggler's routes, and the Knights are seen as strongly affiliated with The Law.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"You have more than one smuggler's route through the city," Felix says. "I hope the loss of one of them could be more than offset by being owed a favor by the Queen. Or are you worried about potential spies along the route?"

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "Disguise the knights." Then he turns to Sephrenia. "If you can answer this, does the spell protecting the queen weaken the men powering it? The two I know were involved seemed to have some handicap fighting a demon. And thinking of demons: does the spell block other dimensions or just this one? Would it stop something from being summoned inside the gem?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:03 am 
"That's not -" Talen waves his hands about for a minute, looking for the right words. "It doesn't matter about the loss of the routes. A favour from the Queen is more than worth it, yeah. But every one of these routes needs the cooperation of someone inside the city. Like - remember that one time I got us out after the gates closed, through that inn that had a window in the outer wall? We'd have to get the innkeeper to open the window. I turn up out there with a half-dozen Knights, the innkeeper's gonna think I've been compromised and not open the window. Same if I turn up with Vanire here, whose face is gonna be known to everyone in town. One or two Knights, not including the Preceptor here, out of armour? No problem. Nine, or any group including this tireless defender of law? Problem."

"Now, it's not an insoluble problem," adds Talen. "If I go through first, spend a couple of hours talking to people, then yeah, I can get all nine Knights through. But the feel I get is that 'a couple of hours' might be significant. So I think that first we gotta send through a smaller team, to watch the throne room and make sure nothin' nasty goes down quick, so that I got those couple of hours to get everyone else in through the walls."

"The spell does add... some strain," says Sephrenia. "Akin to carrying a heavy weight at all times. It does not weaken directly, but fighting while carrying the spell - may well be harder than not. The spell will block all dimensions known to the Younger Gods, and it should prevent any other spells from having an effect inside the gem - not merely summoning."

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Hmm... if us Terrans go ahead with just a couple knights for backup we could see about running a scouting and delaying action while the main body of Pandions muster."

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:41 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers a second. "One more thought, then. The diamond blocks summoning inside it. Good, but we've seen a demon appear when the right conditions were met. Can something be summoned, and then told to appear at the throne as soon as the diamond goes away? That would not seem to need a detectable magical trigger on this plane."

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:49 am 
Kajin wrote:
"Hmm... if us Terrans go ahead with just a couple knights for backup we could see about running a scouting and delaying action while the main body of Pandions muster."

Vanire nods. "That... may on consideration be a good idea."

weremensh wrote:
Arkady considers a second. "One more thought, then. The diamond blocks summoning inside it. Good, but we've seen a demon appear when the right conditions were met. Can something be summoned, and then told to appear at the throne as soon as the diamond goes away? That would not seem to need a detectable magical trigger on this plane."

Sephrenia thinks for a moment. "Possible -" she muses. "Of course, then I and a force of Pandion knights will all be right on the spot and ready to act at once; it is unlikely to be successful, and now that you have mentioned it I can take further measures to prevent it from happening before I remove the Diamond."

"Talen will get you through the city walls," continues Vanire. "But then you're going to want to get inside the palace. For this, I'd recommend getting hold of the Earl of Lenda once you're inside the city -"

Sparhawk clears his throat. "Um - I have a document signed by the Queen, ordering me to return to her side at the first opportunity," he says. "An official Royal command legally overrides anything that the former Primate may have ordered -"

Vanire stares at him for a moment. "Have you been carrying that note ever since you were exiled?" he asks.

Sparhawk nods. "It's a bit hard to read because of the tear stains, but it is valid."

"Okay," says Vanire. "If the guards at the gate are willing to accept Sparhawk's document, then that should get you into the Palace. If they're not, then legally they are defying the Queen's command and you are permitted to force your way past. You'll need to bring Sparhawk with you, and someone familiar with Styric magic - that'll be Sephrenia, I expect."

"Or Piper," points out Sephrenia, indicating the small child. "She's had more direct dealings with the Terrans than I have, and should be able o shut down anything that the brown-robed man can do at least as well as I can."

--------------

So. The Delaying Action team will need to consist of:

- The Terrans
- Talen, who will get you in through the walls and then head off on his own to "talk to people" so he can get the other Knights through the walls a couple of hours later
- Sir Sparhawk (and his letter)
- Either Piper or Lady Sephrenia - which would you prefer?
- Would you like to add anyone else to your delaying force?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:52 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger would feel better with Sir Ulath, as well, and both Piper and Sephrenia but if he had to choose between the latter, then Sephrenia.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:01 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The Blue Rose will be in play, so Felix suggests Sephrenia over Piper as well. He isn't against Sir Ulath joining.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG