Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:00 am 
"It's not complex, exactly," says Piper. "It's fairly trivial insofar as the magic goes - more effort went into hiding the spell and making it hard to see than went into the spell itself. But - in order to cast this spell, someone would have needed to understand exactly what they were blocking. I don't think that any Zemoch priest would have been able to think of it."

Sephrenia nods. "Whoever did this has almost certainly been exposed to Terran thought, in one way or another."

"Well, that should leave us with a short list of suspects," suggests Sparhawk.

"It leaves us with one," says Sephrenia. "This would seem to be proof that Mr. Blackwell has met with some Zemochs."

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:03 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"I wondered why Blackwell would make straight for the border. It seems he must have encountered a Zemoch agent who convinced him to one way or another. Either that or perhaps he is being enticed by Azash..." Roger muses out loud.

He adds,
"The device can easily be moved outside the area of the spell. I say we let the spell stand for now. No sense tipping our hand when we don't have to."

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix leaves it well enough unsaid that he thinks Zalasbra could also finagle such a spell, since last time he brought related matters up it was objected to quite strenuously.

"Well, unless we can achieve something by waiting any longer I daresay we should go talk to the Pandion Knights," Felix says. "I'll expect any number of potential hazards blocking the way, magic and mundane. The sooner we get this over with the better."

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:12 am 
You head on over to the drawbridge. The Pandions open the gate at once, and wave you in - without going through their normal identity check.

"Thank goodness you're here!" says the Knight(*) who opened the gate and came out to meet you. "We weren't sure our message had gotten through! Come in, quickly, there's no time to waste..."

(*) You've seen him around the Chapterhouse before, he's not a total stranger

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:40 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady chambers a round in the Sergeant. "Thank goodness we're here?"

He's definitely trying to get a read on the people standing around here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:57 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"Do tell." Roger says simply.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:06 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix is also mildly suspicious. He's seen this Knight before. Can he put a name to the face?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:23 pm 
"Yes, because that means you got the message -" The knight pauses. "Right?"

There's a certain amount of bustling visible through the gates. Arkady tries to get a read on on what's up...

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: +1 Total: +6

Arkady can detect no Deception being used by this Knight.

The bustle beyond the gates has a general flavour to it of "getting ready to go out to a battle" - knights are preparing their armour, checking their swords, and so forth. There's worried concern under the bustling, but it's not the sort of concern that slows them - there's also a slight urgency, enough to suggest that time is a factor (and that may be why the entry check-up was skipped this time; it's not like anyone else is likely to turn up here in a truck, after all).

If Arkady had to guess, there was probably an attempt to send a message via the radio; when there was no reply (because the spell blocked the radio) then there was some uncertainty over whether that message had been received or not. If you had the vaguest idea of what had been in that missing message, then you'd probably have the context that you lack.

Felix pretty sure that he has seen this fellow before, in the background at the chapterhouse, but he was never formally introduced and doesn't actually know the guy's name.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:39 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We didn't get any message at all," Felix says. "Where is Preceptor Vanire? Why is everyone rushing?"

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:42 pm 
"You didn't? But then -" The knight frowns, confused, but swiftly decides that the details aren't immediately vital. "Raven came back, and he still has political allies in the Elene Court. Worse, we think he might be trying to smash through the Diamond Throne and kill the Queen."

"That's impossible," says Sephrenia at once.

The Knight blinks, not having noticed her at first (she's a fairly small person). "Little mother!" There's a hasty bow. "Of course, we don't have anywhere near your knowledge on the subject. But there have been some rumours of a short man, in a brown robe, about whom no other details can be ascertained..."

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:39 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head and turns towards Sephrenia. "He is a powerful Zemoch priest who summons demons and creates succubi. His Lord has been telling him how to counter some of the Terran tricks from before Blackwell woke up. If breaking the crystal is merely being absurdly hard instead of actually impossible, he may be able to do it."

Then he turns back towards the knight. "So why am I not hearing your Preceptor bellowing orders? Where is Sir Vanire?"

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm 
Sephrenia frowns, and looks worried.

"Bellowing orders?" asks the Knight. "What, and let anyone with ears know our plans? Look here he comes now."

Looking where he points, you see Vanire leave a group of Knights and walk briskly towards you. (The knights he was speaking with split up and mill purposefully about the courtyard with the others).

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix waves at Vanire as he approaches.

"It seems we have little time, if Raven's pet sorcerer has something up their sleeve. What's the plan?"

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:27 am 
"Now that you're here, it's improved," says Vanire. "Come, park your trucks inside, and we'll discuss it." Where the soldiers on the city walls can't see us, he doesn't say out loud.

--------------

Once you're parked inside and the gate is closed, and once Vanire has been informed that you missed his message, he will tell you about recent events.

"As you may have guessed, Raven returned a day ago. Though he has lost his position in the Elene Church, he still retains some powerful political allies; he took control of the city guard, and had the Pandions evicted from the city. Nothing that he hasn't done before. Shortly after, some fellow in a brown robe was seen about the Palace, and rumours began to spread that he had a way to kill the Queen despite the diamond around her throne." He pauses to look at Sephrenia. "Could there be any substance behind these rumours, Little Mother?"

"I would have thought it impossible, dear," muses Sephrenia. "But - if that stranger is a high-ranking Zemoch Priest - breaking through the diamond is impossible, unless everyone who helped cast that spell is first killed. But perhaps it can be bypassed in some way? ...I wouldn't think so, but I have not given it as much consideration as the Zemochs certainly have."

Vanire nods. "That's something I'd prefer not to take risks with. Then, Little Mother, what do you need to cure the Queen?"

"All of the surviving Knights from when I cast the spell that created the Diamond," she says. "Sir Sparhawk, his rings, and the Rose. The long case that's in my luggage in the truck. All in the throne room, and... about ten minutes, I expect, should be a sufficient minimum. Though the Terrans have bought a number of experts and a fair amount of large equipment to deal with the case where that is merely almost sufficient."

Vanire nods. "The city is under guard by forces told to keep us out, and filled with innocent civilians who we don't want to risk. Fortunately, all the surviving Knights who were present at the casting of the spell are present - except for Sir Pellinore, who's currently -"

Sephrenia clears her throat. "He - died yesterday," she says. "I have his sword."

"...ah." Vanire looks a little discomforted by this news.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:27 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix lowers his head for a moment out of respect.

"So Raven is prepared. His guards are standing against us. He's in a strong defensive position. And there's a rather large number of innocent bystanders between the town gates and the castle walls that will do all sorts of innocent bystander stuff. Typically of the 'being taken hostage' and 'wandering into the crossfire' sorts."

Felix rubs his chin.

"Is stealth an option? We stocked up on all the fun stuff when we got back to the ship. If we can make it to the castle we won't need to break down the front door. I can just make a new one."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG