Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:20 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Hrmm... does the protection of the ring extend to the wearer, or just the object it's attached to?" Felix asks. "If it'll protect the wearer from the Rose and the Troll gods Sir Sparhawk and I could duel Gwerek and try to prise the Rose from him in a conflict that his gods will not protect him from. Between his blade and my trickery we might be able to win."

Felix eyes the sky and ponders aloud.

"Or I could launch a mortar at him from afar using the drone for positional data and we can take the Rose off his corpse."

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "I'm not thinking the troll gods would think a mortar bomb is fair. Or that they couldn't throw it back."
He looks back at Piper. "The rings may protect the wearer from the direct power of the Rose, but it won't protect against the Rose making Ghwerek more dangerous. Would the troll gods regard the rings as a threat when they see them, or think it's keeping things fair?"

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:44 am 
"The wearer is touching the ring," points out Piper. "So yes, the protection does extend to the wearer. It won't protect you from Ghwerek's fists, though."

"Two humans at melee range against a Troll?" asks Sir Ulath. He shakes his head. "You'll have no chance. A half dozen Knights in full armour might have about even odds."

"And I can't read the minds of the Troll-gods," points out Piper, "nor see their future when they're inside the Blue Rose. But - they will see the fight as being between you and Ghwerek. The rings protect you from the Rose, not from the troll - I do not believe they would be considered a threat by the Troll-gods, unless you threaten to damage the Rose directly."

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix nods at Arkady.

"That begs the question of whether or not they think to keep an eye out for everything around Gwerek suddenly and violently disassembling."

Felix looks at Piper.

"Seems worth trying, at least? If a mortar won't work our traps won't work either."

Felix eyes Sir Ulath.

"What about everyone here against a crippled Troll?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:32 am 
"They're not exactly great thinkers," admits Piper. "You'd only get one shot, though."

"Against Ghwerek specifically?" asks Sir Ulath, contemplating the group. "With neither our weapons nor the Troll-gods playing any role... we'd get in each other's way a lot, we'd almost certainly take a few severe injuries and possibly some fatalities. It's not... impossible that we could win... but the odds are still firmly on the Troll's side. He can still throw us off and outrun us."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady asks: "If his gods want to, can they heal him?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:55 pm 
"Yes," says Piper. "The Blue Rose is very good at healing. Though I don't think the Troll-gods would want to - they get to be a lot more smug about the toughness of their Trolls if it can be avoided."

Felix' tablet shows that Ghwerek, having apparently burned his offering into suitable charcoal, is putting his fire out - by whacking it with a large, leafy branch.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:24 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "I'm thinking that's in a fair fight. Felix, if he lives long enough to scream, he will probably be healed. And we don't have a heavy mortar, so you will be needing a direct hit to make sure he dies quickly enough. He waves towards Ghwerek and adds "And he is in the woods. If the bomb hits a branch, it will go off too soon. So we will be needing a guided bomb, and to wait until he is out in the open, if we are going to try to kill him with only one shot from a mortar."

A thought crosses his mind and he looks at Piper. "Would it be possible to make one of us as tough as a troll, at least for a little while?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:03 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"He looks like he's about ready to start moving again," Felix says. "Whatever we do we need to decide soon."

Felix continues to keep an eye on Ghwerek and will signal to the group when he has begun moving. If need be he'll pull the drone back out of sight and let infrared confirm visuals.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:24 pm 
"He wouldn't even need to scream," admits Piper. "The Troll-gods aren't smart, but they can react very fast if they want to."

Ghwerek's large, leafy branch catches alight. He waves it about in a sudden panic, then thumps it against the ground until it goes out.

"After the Seeker..." says Piper. "I used a lot of energy there. I might be able to make someone a little bit tougher for a little while - but it won't be for long."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix remains on standby, watching Ghwerek.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:39 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"I suppose stealing the Blue Rose while he's asleep is out?"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:19 am 
"He's a very light sleeper," says Piper. "And the Troll-gods won't sleep at all. But if you can get it while he sleeps despite that, then I see no reason not to."

On the screen Ghwerek seems happy that his fire is sufficiently out. (It's still smouldering, which suggests that Ghwerek doesn't know fire all that well). He picks up the Blue Rose and heads off, not towards you... but to a small stream, which he lies in with a happy little grunt.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks from Piper to Lady Sephrenia. "Can either of you be making someone harder to notice? Invisible, unsmellable, that sort of thing?"

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:23 am 
Lady Sephrenia shakes her head. "Not to the extent that you're looking for."

"I know how to make humans ignore someone," says Piper. "Trolls... aren't that different, but they don't grow up in cities..."

"Also," adds Sephrenia drily, "Ghwerek's seen her best tricks already."

Piper nods. "We've... met before. He knows what to look out for. I'm not sure I can fool him, and I certainly can't fool the Troll-gods. I don't have enough power for that."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG