Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11183
There's a rocky bit between where you stop the trucks and Sir Sparhawk's group. Nothing that can't be walked over, it just means that you have to stop the trucks a good hundred metres away.

"Got me on the back of the head with a rock," growls Sparhawk, indicating a rock about the size of a man's head. ...Sparhawk's helmet is actually visibly dented.

He stands up, glaring into the woods. "Grabbed the Blue Rose, and scurried off into the woods. Didn't get my ring." Sparhawk holds up one hand, the ring not immediately visible due to the chainmail glove that covers it.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8906
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix frowns, moving to help Sir Sparhawk stand if he allows it.

"The troll took the Blue Rose, but didn't stay to try and take the rings? Odd."

Felix eyes the path indicated to see if the trucks can follow, or if a more nimble pursuit is warranted.

"Roger, what does the drone see?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:24 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3241
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger pilots the drone toward the forest to see what it can see.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:07 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15555
Location: Yes.
Arkady unslings his companion the Sergeant. "He probably doesn't know we have them." Then he glances over at Sparhawk. "How did you survive getting hit in the head with a 10 kilo thrown rock? A glancing blow?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:05 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3241
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger makes a point to put on a helmet.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:42 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11183
weremensh wrote:
"How did you survive getting hit in the head with a 10 kilo thrown rock? A glancing blow?"


"Good helmet," says Sparhawk, with a shrug. "And I've always been resilient."

Arkady: Empathy: 5 Roll: +2 Total: +7
Translation: Sparhawk doesn't know how he survived either, but he's survived something similar before and thinks he's either just lucky or tough enough to make it. Either way, he's disinclined to experiment with things that should kill him.


Dodger77 wrote:
Roger pilots the drone toward the forest to see what it can see.


The troll's trail is easier to find than a highway during rush hour. The undergrowth is flattened, bushes ripped aside and crushed.

There's no way you're following him by truck; clear trail or not, this is still forest, and the troll has absolutely no reason to stick to the paths... ah, and here he's gone down one side of a small gully and up the other.

"Even a crippled troll can outrun a man on foot," opines Sparhawk. "We'd need to follow him on horseback."

Piper tugs on Felix' shirt. "I think..." She gives a little yawn. "I think I can guess where he's going."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8906
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Where would he be going? Is his lair nearby?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11183
"Thalasia," says Piper. "His lair is in the mountains there."

"Thalasia's not close," points out Sir Ulath (who, as you may recall, is from Thalasia himself). "He's going to need to cross roads."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:37 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15555
Location: Yes.
Arkady nods. "I suppose we should start travelling, then. Let's hope he does not carry too many rocks, and no one gives him any hints about the rest of what he's lost. Then he snorts. "If we do have to kill him, trying to find the rest of his 'treasure' will probably become fashionable.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3241
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger brings the drone back and sets it to charge. He is ready for the road trip to Thalasia.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:46 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11183
After some discussion between Piper and Sir Ulath (and reference to a map) you find the perfect location for an ambush; a long, straight road a few hours' drive away. Nowhere near the Thalasian border (that's a day or so away, even with the trucks).

Since the road is dead straight, it doesn't much matter where Ghwerek tries to cross it; you will see him. (However, Felix picks out the spot on the road where he would cross if he were a troll, and there's general agreement that that's a very good place to set up the ambush).

--------------

Some hours and fairly boring driving later

--------------

On arrival, the ambush point is pretty much as indicated by the map; a long, wide, and very straight road; a major thoroughfare. There is a fair amount of passing traffic; a farmer driving a herd of cows, the occasional person on horseback, and so on. None of the traffic seems particularly inclined to get in your way; just about everyone seems pretty intimidated by the fact of your trucks, and most people will pass you warily on whichever side of the road you are not using. (The rare exception will, on seeing you, abruptly change their minds about going your way at all and will promptly turn around to find an alternative route).

You're fairly sure that you've got a couple of hours before the Troll catches up to where you are.

Are you planning on standing about and waiting for the Troll, or will you make any preparations and/or set up any traps?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:38 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3241
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Piper, how big is a troll again?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:24 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8906
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Sir Ulath and Sir Sparhawk might be better able to answer if Piper is still sleepy, so Felix would like to include them in the line of questioning.

Couldn't hurt to be too careful, though. Felix sets about rigging up some disabling tripwire explosives based on feedback of troll anatomy. Flashbangs and heavier as required.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:07 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11183
"About nine feet," says Sir Ulath.

"Ghwerek's a hunchbacked dwarf among trolls," points out Piper, who seems to have largely recovered by this point. "He's a touch under seven feet tall. Also, compared to humans, trolls have longer arms then their height would suggest."

Feedback given to Felix suggests that Ghwerek as one foot that usually drags on the ground due to an old injury - he's not going to trip a tripwire if he knows it's there, but he's almost certain to trip one if he doesn't know it's there. Also, trolls are a good deal tougher than humans; they might shrug off what would disable a human. While Ghwerek may be short for a Troll, his toughness is unaffected by that.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:06 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8906
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix does some guestimating about what it might take to disable/down a troll based on descriptions and adjust the ordnance accordingly. If Talen would be willing to help hide the tripwires as they go along he can probably cover a good amount of area quickly enough.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron