Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 658 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3176
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"OK. We have Felix or Teresa headshot the horse. Then, We let Sir Ulath try to get it incapacitated. Sound good everybody? Arkady and I will keep a look out." He says as quietly as he can.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8814
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"So for the idea to work copies or extensions of your voice won't work, got it," Felix says. "This is so obviously a trap it hurts, but if we want the Rose we're gonna have to confront the Seeker. Theresa and I in the truck to engage and spring the trap. Piper, I'd want you in the truck with us but it might be safer if you stayed behind until we saw what's going to happen. Sir Ulath, where do you want to be? I'd like it if you were in the bed of the truck ready to spring into action or standing guard over Piper for now. Your call on what to do."

Felix nods at Roger. He's ready to go whenever.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11051
"The sooner I get close, the better," says Piper, stepping into the bed of the truck.

"Makes it easy to choose," opines Sir Ulath, also entering the truck bed.

And then Theresa hits the accelerator and the truck is away!

--------------

Felix fires the first shots, hanging out of the passenger window while Theresa brings them close...

Felix: Guns: +2 Targeting visor: +4 Theresa's aid: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +12
Seeker: Defensive skill: ??? Roll: +1 - insufficient


The horse's head - well, let's just say it's no longer there. The horse collapses, leaving the Seeker sitting in mid-air where it was - but the bullets that would have hit the Seeker rather stop in mid-air before they do.

In response to the attack, the Seeker gestures at the ground...

Seeker: Magic: ??? Roll: -1 Total: ???
Felix: Drive: +0 Companion: +4 Roll: -2 FATE reroll: +1 Total: +5


The ground beneath the truck turns into sticky, cloying mud, gripping onto and entangling the wheels. Fortunately, there are rocks close underground, making the mud less of an obstacle than it could have been. The truck is not exactly stuck fast - hitting the accelerator for a few seconds will probably break it out of the mud - but it's definitely somewhat slowed for a few seconds.

On the bright side, this does mean that Sir Ulath can hop out safely.

"SO, APHRAEL," booms the Seeker, "AGAIN, YOU BRING YOUR PETS TO VEX ME. TOO LATE, IDIOT CHILD. YOU CAN'T STOP ME. YOU CAN DO NO MORE THAN WITNESS MY TRIUMPH!"

"So this is what senility looks like in a god?" asks Piper, stepping out of the truck herself. "Senility and impotence are a bad combination."

"THE BLUE ROSE WILL BE MINE, I HAVE FORESEEN IT!"

"Senility," nods Piper. "If your injuries had not muddied your brains, you would know that no-one can foresee who will find the Rose - only when it will be found."

"FOOL, I NEED NO MORE THAN THAT! I SOUGHT WHEN THE ROSE WOULD BE FOUND IF I WERE TO SEEK HERE, IF I WERE TO SEEK THERE, I FOUND THE PLACE UPON THE SHORE OF THE LAKE WHERE THE ROSE WOULD BE FOUND SOONEST IF I WERE TO SEND MY THRALLS SEARCHING - AND IT WILL BE MINE WITHIN MERE MINUTES! WITNESS MY TRIUMPH!"

The Seeker raises his hands, and casts a large illusion in the air - clearly a remote view of a section of lake shore. Several of the Seeker-bitten peasants are visible in the image, heading out into the Lake, presumably to search for the Rose...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8814
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix and Theresa work to get the truck unstuck while Piper is goading the cranky old deity.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:24 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15432
Location: Yes.
Arkady brings a map of the lake up and figures out where the bitten minions are looking, and what the shortest route to that spot will be. Then he double checks that his friend the sergeant is ready, because he suspects that a troll is about to enter the picture and will need to be chased. He's also idly wondering how much closer she has to be before the Seeker itself can hear Piper.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:56 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3176
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
...heads on swivels people. This would be a globbing terrible time to be surrounded...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11051
Felix: Drive: +0 Companion: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +3

Theresa slams on the accelerator, and the truck breaks free of the mud with a ROAR. The seeker glances round towards the truck - Felix looks up at the Seeker's illusion and hopes, prays that something can keep the Blue Rose out of its claws...

...and then one of the controlled Drones in the illusion suddenly has a crossbow bolt through his head.

The Seeker's attention snaps back towards the illusion. "What -"

And a familiar figure steps into the field of view.

Sir Sparhawk, the black-armoured Pandion Knight with the other Ring. Sir Sparhawk, who was supposed to meet you on the shore of the lake and help seek our the Rose.

Sir Sparhawk, whose party was apparently at exactly the right place, at exactly the right time.

And it is in this moment of stupefecation, this moment when Azash's pride leaves him staring stupefied at the illusion for an instant - it is in this moment that Piper's tune begins.

It's a complex tune, a tone that bends and swells and that tune is something that cannot be produced on those simple pipes. Maybe the first few notes, but then you start hearing violin, piano, and trumpet notes in the song...

Piper: Mysteries: ??? Roll: -1 Free tag on Azash's Stupefied aspect: +2 Tagging All Things Must Grow: +2 Total: +???
Azash: Mysteries: +??? Roll: +1 Total: Not Enough


Azash screams in frustration as the Seeker curls up on itself, changes happening deep in its body... the Seeker reaches out and flicks a claw, and a dozen of the Controlled peasants in the illusion drop out of it, becoming real as they hit the ground. These unfortunates turn to face Piper, and then start to charge at her...

(In the illusion, Sir Sparhawk seems a little surprised to see some of his foes vanishing, but he just keeps his eyes on the others).

--------------

Arkady can see an area of lakeshore in the illusion, but... it's just an area of lakeshore. There's not really much in the way of identifying marks; and Azash isn't helpfully presenting the view all the way yo the horizon, but rather the view only a few feet along the shore.

Arkady: Investigation: +2 Roll: -2 Total: +0

It's somewhere around the lake. The best way to find out where would probably be to contact Sir Sparhawk and ask him where he is.

Roger keeps an eye out for any ambush, which means he's ready when the peasants drop out of the illusion and charge at Piper:

Roger: Guns: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2

He fires a burst of bullets at them, and takes several down - a broken leg won't stop them, but it will slow them to the point where Sir Ulath can very easily stop them the rest of the way.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8814
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Theresa guns the truck forward and puts it between the victims of the Seeker's bite and Piper. As she does so, Felix aims his rifle and volleys several stun grenades at the approaching mob. They might be able to keep going through injury and enervation, but even the unnatural fortitude of a mind controlled human is no match for a complete shock to the system. High intensity light and sound slamming into the nerve bundles leading to the brain will knock anything out for the count.

"We need to get to the Seeker before it completes it's metamorphosis! If we don't get a sample of it's venom, we'll never be able to return these people to their own free will!"

Once the victims are knocked out, Felix is going to try and approach the Seeker.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:08 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3176
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger gives the drone controller to Arkday to do with as he pleases.

He is laser focused on the zombies and will keep firing at any that are still moving.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:35 am
Posts: 106
Sam is gonna scoop Piper up princess style as to not interrupt the music and keeps watch for any nere'do'wells that try and get at the godchild; It's been a while since the last time she did this with a lamb and some wolves, but its like riding a bike...she hopes.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15432
Location: Yes.
Since going for a drive would interfere with Roger's shooting, for now Arkady stays put; though he's using the drone with it's nifty thermal imaging capacity to make sure they don't get surprised by the one last player who can come in and interfere with what Piper's doing. Tagging 'If You Want Something Done', he's looking for the troll. If he spots him, and it looks like said troll is in a position to interfere? Then it may be time to go for a quick drive...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:21 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 11051
Felix: Guns: +2 Sidekick: +4 Visor: +4 Roll: Does it really matter?
ahem Roll: -1 Total: +9
Seeker's victims: Athletics: +0 Roll: -3 Total: -3


The former farmers haven't got the slightest chance, they collapse to the ground, while the bulk of the truck, standing between the explosions and Piper, prevents said explosions from being too distracting.

Felix hops out of the truck and approaches the Seeker... the Seeker, with its come-to-me green glow and doubtless still-venomous fangs...

Roger prepares to fire on any of the zombies that are still moving. After Felix's little demonstration of firepower, however, none of them are still moving. Roger is still prepared to fire on anything that suddenly bursts out at them, like, say, a rogue troll.

Arkady uses the thermal drone to keep an eye out, watching for the Troll - the Troll which does not appear to be right here, right now.

Sam steps forwards and joins Sir Ulath in keeping Piper safe. There... doesn't appear to be anything else to keep her safe from, though. Even as you watch, Azash's illusory image of elsewhere-on-the-lakeshore collapses into nothingness, and the Seeker...

...then the Seeker's body literally tips itself in two, with something smaller, only about half the size, crawling out of the smashed outer shell. This is presumably the adult Seeker. Its eyes have a vague greenish glow, and most of it just looks like a scaled-down version of the juvenile form, with a few exceptions.

It has no mouth. It has a full six short, stubby legs. It has a tail (somewhat stubby, but a tail nonetheless).

And it has dragonfly wings.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8814
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix continues warily stepping forward, eyes on the Seeker and waiting to see what it does.

Once it looks like it's safe for him to move forward, he'll go up to the husk that used to be the Seeker and examine the mouth parts to try and recover the venom sack.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:41 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15432
Location: Yes.
Arkady is not really near enough to intervene in that particular scene, so he stays on watch.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:35 am
Posts: 106
"Is- is it over? Was that really it?" Sam shifted Piper onto her hip as she took on the insect. "I mean. It's pretty adorable, I was just expecting...I dunno. Something else. Eldritch Horrors these days, they just don't make em like they used to."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 658 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: