Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:17 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger gives up on the fire for now. He stands ready to help Zalasbra to his feet or whatever the situation calls for.

"Could this be the handy work of your..."friend" Felix?"

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Ixnay on the riend'vay," Felix mutters. Then, somewhat louder, "We'll know more about what happened when our compatriot here tells us what happened. I'm assuming surprise attack by bandit. We've encountered them before, have we not?"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:39 am 
"Oh. Um..." Piper looks up at the fire, then down at the forest. She begins to play a tune on her pipes, and dark clouds start to gather over the fire.

Zalasbra sighs, as he stands up. "I... made a misjudgement," he admits. "After - many requests - I considered the possibility of inducting one of the Terrans into the secrets of magic. I sought the future, that I might see which choice of student might lead to the best result, and - when I sought the future for choosing almost any one of the Terrans, the future showed many Styrics killed, all throughout the Elene lands. The reason was... obscure, hidden from me. For one, and only one, Terran, I saw not that deadly future, so I thought to take him as a student... I began to teach him the basics of magic. But then..." Zalasbra sighs again. "Among those basics, I showed him enough that... others... would be able to contact him. I fear that perhaps some others might have done so, wooed him with promises, talked him into betrayal. For it was as I was beginning to prepare a simple evening meal that I was struck over the head, and I knew no more until you awoke me. I fear that my student may have been turned aside by dark temptations."

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix and Theresa think he's lying and are gonna roll Empathy to see if he's telling the truth.

Felix pulls up a photo of Blackwell on his tablet.

"Was this the man your vision showed you?"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Without putting Piper in his line of sight, Arkady is going to open himself up and examine the process of raising this rain. He's got thaumaturgy on his mind right now, and is a bit disquieted by it.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 am 
Roger: Empathy: +3 Theresa: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +7

"It's nothing so precise as a vision," argues Zalasbra. "But yes, that is the man that I tutored."

...that wasn't exactly the answer to your question, was it? Nonetheless, neither Felix nor Theresa can see any sign that he's lying.

Meanwhile, Arkady opens up his Sight...

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +3

...the clouds seem... not exactly natural. They carry connotations - connotations of children's laughter, running through the wet, splashing in puddles. Rushing about in wet clothing, laughing at soaking-wet hugs given to bigger people who had stayed out of the rain, playing tag in the storm.

...the water that leaves the clouds just seems like ordinary water. But the clouds themselves, feel... different.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
While watching the cloud keep the fire from spreading, Arkady asks "You sought the future, Zalasbra?"

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Is there any possible chance that your future scrying could have been tampered with by external forces?" Felix asks. "Of any Terran likely to bring about death and destruction, I think you picked one of the most likely to do so. I don't even know how he's still alive, much less here."

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:49 am 
"I did, yes. I sought the consequences of my choice, and selected the future where the consequences were not a massacre of my people." To Felix, "You ask whether it could have been tampered with? The information from the future was true, albeit partial; but yes, that does not prevent it from being tampered with."

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:44 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix sighs.

"I believe it's quite plausible that the future you saw was the truth," he says. "But I think it was obscured by one of the higher powers in order to lead you into waking up the Terran that would cause such a future. I'm not afraid to admit we've had our share of devastating wars in the past, but by and large everyone picked to be on the ship should have been someone interested in starting a new life in a new world. Blackwell being on the ship causes me great worry... and him being up and about after learning the basics of magic causes me yet more worry. We'll need to find him as soon as possible."

Felix looks at Roger.

"When we get back to the ship, would you be willing to hack into the computers and search for tampering? There was no way Blackwell could have made it aboard without falsified credentials. Maybe you could find evidence of further falsification? If one person was on board under false pretenses there may be more. They cannot be allowed to thaw out and join the work force until they can be vetted."

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances over at Zalasbra (assuming Piper isn't in the way). "How did you seek the future? Ask a god?"

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 am 
"The exact specifics of how," says Zalasbra, "are one of the deeper secrets of Styricum. We have seen here what happens when a Terran is given access to even the most introductory of the Secrets; I am sure that you understand why I am reluctant to say anything further on the matter."

Roger can certainly check through the computers when he gets back.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"'When a Terran', Zalasbra? Arkady shakes his head. "Yes, someone from my world did attack you; but I would have thought a Styric scholar, of all people, would understand the problem with generalizing like that."

Arkady is trying to get a read on Zalasbra, to see if there's more to this than being upset about being attacked and having his favorite robe burned. At need, he's tagging If You Want Something Done, Do It Yourself, and Many Faces of God (since what's being discussed is basically thaumaturgy).

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"Sure thing Felix."

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"While you were with Blackwell, is there anything about his behavior that stood out to you?" Felix asks. "Did he reference anything or mention something that might not have made sense or seemed like a destination?"

Roll Rapport to try and distract Zalasbra's line of thinking away from Arkady's probing Empathy roll, making him more vulnerable to accidentally revealing something.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG