Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Online
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3111
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger follows Felix. His curiosity has gotten the better of him.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:14 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10977
You start breaking through the forest, bringing along a couple of machetes to cut through the heavy undergrowth. It takes a good while to get there; and when you do, you find a simple campsite. There's no tents, just a couple of branches tied together for shelter; and what presumably was a simple campfire. However, something has clearly gone badly wrong here.

The fire has spread into the surrounding vegetation (hence the smoke you saw); there are scorch marks on the trees (some of which don't look like they could have come from the fire) and one robed, cloaked body lying face-down in the midst of a dried bloodstain. The flames are starting to lick at the sleeve of his cloak.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:26 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix and Theresa will take a quick look around to try and see if anyone is hiding nearby. Once they're satisfied they'll sneak forward as quietly as they can and start patting out the flames around the robed figure. As they're doing so he'll try to observe the figure to see if they're dead before moving in for a closer inspection.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:12 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Online
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3111
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger does his best to deal with the flames.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:30 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15365
Location: Yes.
Arkady grabs the sergeant, a shovel and a fire extinguisher then heads for the fire. "Anyone want to go see if the woods are going to burn?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10977
In a five-second glance around, neither Felix not Theresa spot anyone else; clearly, if there is someone about, then that someone (a) is deliberately hiding, and (b) wants the face-down guy to die.

Fortunately, Arkady's fire extinguisher is exactly what the doctor ordered; it allows the fire to be pushed back from the lying-down man. Roger and Felix get a little closer, and Felix pulls back the man's hood, allowing everyone to instantly recognised him... he's Zalasbra, the Styric scholar. And he's out cold. He still seems to be breathing, at least.

Away from Zalasbra, the for continues to rage - Arkady's extinguisher only pushed it back a little, and didn't put the heart of it out. It seems to be spreading mostly through the (dry) undergrowth, though some of the lower branches of the trees have also caught.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix is going to take a quick assessment of the fire. Once he figures out the best place to throw for maximum effect, he'll lob a cryo grenade to cut out the heart of the fire and make fighting it much easier.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:56 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15365
Location: Yes.
Having some medical experience (if not much formal training) and a first aid kit, Arkady examines Zalasbra.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:08 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10977
The fire is big, and, at the heart of it, extremely hot. It absorbs a single cryo grenade quite easily.

Fortunately, the fire is not spreading faster than you can walk, and though there's a fair amount of undergrowth right around here, it thins out a bit further away; you should be able to get out of here safely enough, at least.

Arkady: Science: +2 Roll: -1 Total: +1

Arkady's examination shows that:

- Zalasbra is alive
- Something whacked him pretty hard over the back of the head
- He's very badly burned all down the left si-

"Zalasbra!" cries out Piper, seeing him. She hurries over, and puts her hand on his... and then Arkady can see the burns *receding* as he watches, healing in a way that humans, left to the artifice of nature, don't.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Does it look like the fire will spread beyond the undergrowth?

Once Felix is done analyzing the fire he goes to help with Zalasbra. If he's still unconscious when Piper is done healing him Felix will try to carry him out away from the fire, assuming there isn't any notable neck or spine trauma that would preclude moving him.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15365
Location: Yes.
Arkady uses some non-burning local saplings or branches and whips up a stretcher or travois; hopefully he'll be done about the same time Piper is. If they tagged along, he'll tell the locals to keep an eye out for whoever attacked Zalasbra in the first place.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:24 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Online
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3111
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger is concerned when he realizes it's Zalasbra, but seeing he is well taken care of by Piper et. al he does what he can to move potential fuel out of the way of the fire and throwing dirt or whatever is handy to try to help in any way he can.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:17 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10977
Some of the lower branches on some of the giant trees have started catching alight. It is possible that this fire will spread beyond the local area.

.....slowly. And - with substantially less fuel, it will probably (paradoxically enough) be easier to handle once it gets out of the local area.

It's far enough away from the Ship that there's really no immediate danger; and unless it turns into a fire big enough to literally level the entire forest (which seems unlikely), it's probably not even going to get close to the Ship in the first place.

There's no telling how big it will get - that will depend rather on the weather conditions (and it might help if there was less of a breeze; as it is, the oxygen-displacement effect of Felix' cryobomb was countered by the simple fact that there is a breeze) - but there's certainly time to deal with this conflagration at leisure, or to wait and let it burn itself out.

To put it out immediately, you might well need better fire-fighting equipment than can be carried by hand. Facing a fire of this ferocity on Earth would have required firetrucks, long hoses connected to a large water source, or helicopters dropping water atop the fire; it blazes far hotter than the Damork had ever done.

Arkady: Engineering: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5

Arkady whips together a travois with incredible speed... but whatever Piper's doing, it's faster. By the time the travois is done, Zalasbra is sitting up, blinking at the group. He says something vaguely questioning in Styric... to which Piper replies "We saw the smoke."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:35 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15365
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at the two of them for a second, then says "Unless one of you can deal with that fire, we need to be going. Zalasbra, can you walk?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix and Theresa will switch to scanning the outer perimeter just in case there is trouble from outside.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: