Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post subject: SLUGGY RPG PLAYTEST
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:58 am 
How's it goin', people? Or, as my Newfoundland friends would say, What are ya at?

(I don't actually know anyone in Newfoundland. I just heard a song by a Newfoundland-based group the other day and decided that made me cultured.)

Okay, here we go. I have on my portable hard drive a .pdf containing the complete Official Sluggy Freelance Roleplaying Game (or, at least, as complete as it's getting before playtesting ensues). And, as I said, I want some of you Sluggy Forumites to help me test it. So, I'm going to be accepting entries until next Saturday, August 26th. Sometime after midnight U.S. Eastern time on the 26th, I'm going to literally write the names down, stick them in a hat, and pull out two to see who gets to playtest the game.

If you win, you'll have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, which will basically say you won't post details about the game on the forums or hand the .pdf out to tons of people or anything, and mail that to me. Once I get that, I'll send you a CD with the .pdf. I'm thinking you'll get it sometime in mid-September, depending on where you are and how fast the good old postal service is working at the time.

So, if you can get a group of Sluggite gamers together for a few sessions of excitement and madness (and not to mention good old-fashioned Stupidity, a core element of the system, I assure you), send me a private message with your e-mail address and some witty reason why it should be you who playtests the game (actual wittiness won't affect your chances of winning... but it will be appreciated, anyway), and you'll be in the drawing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:44 pm 
Do they have to be Sluggite gamers? I've got a group that might be interested (if I told them about it), but none of them actually read Sluggy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Me and my brother tried to get on this last time, sent in the NDA and everythoing, and we never heard back.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:45 pm 
Vampire: Go right ahead! I'm totally not looking to discriminate here! (Pete actually made me rewrite the first chapter, 'cause the first draft pretty much assumed anyone reading it would be a hard-core Sluggite, and he wanted it to be accessible to anyone who happened to pick it up. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone but hard-core Sluggites would want to play the game, but I thought the notion was pretty cool...) But you should see if you can get your friends to read Sluggy, anyway... Because Sluggy rocks!

Jared: Sorry about that. Yeah, that whole project kind of fell through... I kept meaning to post something about it, but I think I let depression get the better of me. It was partly my fault, partly other people's faults, and partly no one's fault, but I'll take the blame, 'cause I'm pretty sure I could have pushed it through, anyway. Anyway, if you and your brother are still interested (y'know, if we haven't pissed you off too much), please drop your name in the bucket. I would love to have your input!

Last edited by Kahn on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:15 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Unfortunatly, hes in Iowa now (college transfer) and without him, well, i dont have a "real life" gaming group im part of. Only board rpgs. So I don't believe i can be considerd, since i dont know HOW id test it. Very unfortunate, that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:16 pm 
Okay, I'll see what I can do. I'll ask them tomorrow.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:55 pm 
Okay, I talked to my friend, and he's going to talk to the rest of the group. How much info do you need? Like, number of players? Anything else?

Oh, and sorry for the double post, but I wanted it to mark it new.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:39 am 
Jared: ...Again, I'm sorry. We got at least three NDA's in, and a lot of people had their hopes up about it, and I let you down. And I worry that I've ruined the game for a lot of people who might really enjoy it. I feel bad as hell about that entire deal. So, yeah. I suck. Feel free to smack me in the head if you ever meet me in person.
(I had a big public apology on the Dragon*Con thread, but no one was saying anything about it, and it seemed to be taking up a lot of space, so I took it down. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do.)

Vampire: Nope. The only real piece of data I need from you is your e-mail address, so if I draw your name, I can contact you. You don't need my approval for this part, but I'd appreciate it if you'd make sure you've got enough people that you feel like you can do a good game (and really, that can be two people, if you're both into the one-on-one gaming thing), and that they're up for doing at least three or four sessions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:56 pm 
Location: Doing a sobriety check on the thin line between genius and madness.
Sounds interesting, have group and I am ready to start playing whenever.

(starts crossing every body part possible)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:19 pm 
(takes a moment to contemplate the disparity between parts that are possible to cross, and parts that are comfortable to cross...)

(it's a pretty big disparity...)

(seriously, try crossing your adnoids sometime; it really doesn't feel good...)

So, yeah. PM me with your e-mail address, and a reason why I should pick *you* as opposed to all the other people who are entering, and you'll be in the drawing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:52 am 
Ladies and gents... Now's the time; the time has come...

(Actually, "the time" was around 5:30 this morning when I sleepily scribbled names onto a piece of scrap paper and pulled them out of my cool black and white Cat-in-the-Hat hat, but I'm just now getting around to posting the results, so now's the time. Or whatever.)

But anyway, moving on... I ended up drawing three names, because so many people seemed interested, and I figured more input could be a good thing. (Or, maybe two names stuck together and I didn't feel like dropping them back in and drawing again. You'll never know.)

But ANYWAY... The winners are:

Zindaar, Occupant, and Skitzophrenik. YAY!!!

So, thanks to everyone who entered... And to those people who expressed interest, but ended up not entering... Zindaar, Occupant and Skitz all say thanks.

And for all those who didn't win... Don't worry; we're going to push to get the game to you as soon as we possibly can! Now, next item on the agenda... Find a printer...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:09 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
NDA printed, signed, scanned, and emailed. I'll be meeting with my play group for the first tiem this semester this week or next, and I'll inform them then.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:12 pm 
Well, congrats. Too bad I didn't win. Oh well. I hope I see this somewhere, but with no gaming places nearby, I doubt it. Unless you're going to release it for sale on the internet, in which case I might get around to buying it sometime. Have fun guys (whoever you are, the only name I recognize is Skitz).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:07 pm 
*blink*
My dear vampirebunbun, do you think we could possibly create this game and not market it on Sluggy.com?

I assure you, you will hear more about this game, and not just on the boards; Shirt Guy Tom will be moving the book from the Sluggy Store, and probably grumbling about how the only reference to him in the book is criticizing the puffin dingoes for not being able to kill him when they should have.

And when it hits the market, I promise to personally PM you to invite you to buy it. Unless I forget, which is rather likely. But I will try to remember.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:05 pm 
'Kay, thanks!

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG