Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 191 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Yeah, when Harmony encountered the scarred guy, I mentally went 'well crap, this isn't going to end well'. Because I knew she should 'go back into the rat maze' as it were, but it would have been way out of character for her to do so.

So yeah.

This should be... interesting. Even if she does get sealed, I can still do some inner RP - there are things about this situation that are guaranteed to bring some old (and very bad) memories to the surface.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 pm 
Yeah, given that it looks like she'll wake up working with the Crystal Creature, and given that she's still got Alexis' death trigger, he didn't really have that much choice about trying to seal her.

He'll remove the seal once the Creature is down.

And on a completely different note, I recently discovered a nice Android app called Marker, which is a touch-screen sketching thing and quite good at what it does. I fiddled round with it a bit, and ended up with something sort-of vaguely close to what I was going for (which was a surprise, because I'm not much of an artist), so I took it to my computer and added some colours:

Alexis in flight

Just... flying along... not really doing anything in particular but stretching his wings, on a relaxed, quiet afternoon probably shortly before graduation...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:01 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
I really need to get a tablet or a scanner and start drawing my renditions of your characters and my own...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm 
Everyone did get my PM, a week or so ago, right?

The one with the details and password for an alternative chat in it?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm 
We did. It's honestly just a little rough grabbing a whole new program, least for me.

I have forgotten, however, why is it you don't like skype? I'll never force you over to it, but I have been using for the better part of a decade now and I've never had issues with it.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 pm 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Justifiable concerns over privacy, as I recall. Skype isn't exactly the most secure when it comes to chat logs. As in, the government can pretty easily go to Skype and say 'hand over these chat logs' and Skype will say 'alright'.

CCC - I did see the PM and tried to set up Pidgin, but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm 
Ah! Understandable.

Actually I have the same concerns over using a secondary chat program myself. Where as I've had no issues with Skype, I've never heard of Pidgin before so I'm wary.

I'm sure we can work something out that'll do well by us all. Having you in a chat would be a tremendous help.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
It comes down to "I don't trust Microsoft". I don't want to put anything that they produce on my computer. (I can put this in far stronger terms, and give a long list of reasons, but I'm already touching the edge of the rule that operating systems are a banned topic here, so perhaps I should leave it at that).

This does not, by itself, preclude my using other client software to connect to a Skype server. However, the legal situation prevents that; in short, Microsoft has made it clear that they consider themselves able to sue anyone else who makes a client that can talk to Skype servers (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_protocol#Legal_issues, or this article describing why Pidgin won't natively support Skype), which means that there are no other clients.

Ruan - what problems did you have? Maybe I can help figure it out.

Bunbun - Pidgin has a long history, having been around since 1998 (though it was called Gaim back then). You can download the full source code and look over it if you want to see exactly what it's doing (I haven't done so myself; but it comes in enough Linux distributions that I'm pretty sure someone would have noticed if it's doing anything sneaky - a lot of the guys who put the more widely-used distros together can get quite worked-up about that sort of thing). Alternatively, pick any chat client that supports the XMPP protocol - there's a lot of them, because it's a protocol that anyone's allowed to use.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm 
Honestly not sure - I -think- I have my XMPP account set up, but I can't seem to connect to the server.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm 
Huh. Well, the server's up-and-running. I've been connected for a couple of hours now.

I had to make an account on the server first, though. Pidgin has an option to do this automatically, when making an account (under the Basic tab, there's a checkbox at the bottom). The password for that account can be anything you want (the password I sent out earlier is for the chatroom). Under Advanced, change it from "Require encryption" to "Use encryption if available" (I don't think the Jabber server does encryption; since we're unlikely to be giving out banking details or similar, I don't think we really need it).

Let me know if that still doesn't work...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm 
Hrmm... What should I put at the domain name? I think that may be the problem.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 pm 
Domain? Oh. Right.

jabber.org is what I'm using.

Other domains are possible; you can use chat accounts from almost anywhere with pidgin. Though ThylordQ has found a client that I could use to join the existing Skype chat, I'm just waiting for some last details from him...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
Dinn's usually on later in the evening. PM him here, he'll get back to ya.

If we could get you in chat this way it would be awesome!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:14 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
We got him on. but now hes asleep. Well, we had good discussions and then Ben got him to play Innovation.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 am 
SSJJared wrote:
...and then Ben got him to play Innovation.

I did okay until he got databases in the Age of Enlightenment.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 191 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG