Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
>OUT OF CHARACTERS<
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The Actors of the SluggyGRPG Studios.

You know them best as the characters you play or have played.

Day in and day out, they act out the absurd scripts they are given in any genre they are asked to do. Poorly written lines, ridiculous plots... they do it all without complaining.

Well, at least on stage.

But what is life like for these intrepid actors...

off stage?

---------------------------------------------

Welcome, my friends, to Out Of Characters! This is a high concept, high role playing, diceless improv game conceived out of a random conversation on skype between myself, SSJBunBun and SSJJared. The basic idea?

“What if old characters of ours were in a sitcom?”

And so it was born, a game for people that had characters in games that they wanted to explore further but unfortunately were unable to.

The setting is fairly basic; think 30 Rock but with characters from older games. The intention is to reimagine our old characters in ordinary life, thinking not just about what they were in their games, but also the reason they acted that way. Humor is the intended effect. This is not intended to take away from our main games; rather, it is a way to loosen up and stretch the writing skills of the participants for playing off of each other. Thus, the rules are as follows.

There is no cap for players.
There is no official GM.
There is no limit to the number of characters a player can have, though it is prefered if they only use one character per thread.
Obey the golden rules of Improv: “Yes, And” and “No, But”

All you need to play is to post a description of one or more characters you would like to revive for this experiment, and it can be done at any time for any reason. At the start of each thread, one of the participants will be selected to create the scenario for that thread, some ordinary life plot idea with which to inflict upon our behind the scenes characters, and we start from there.

I really can’t think of more to say, so here’s a description of one of the characters I intend to revive for this.

Name: Rojo Rockbell
Description: A wanna-be thespian with a tendency for melodrama. Rojo claims to be classically trained, and will take any opportunity he can get to ham up whatever role he plays. He takes umbrage with the fact that the series his first role in was cancelled prematurely, and has been unable to find stable work since. Off the stage he is never seen without tinted glasses and a scarf.

If there are any questions, suggestions on how to alter this formula, or just thoughts in general, please feel free to post them! This is a game that is open to everyone, and the only purpose is to have fun and unwind from our other games.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 am 
Oooh, I like this idea. I have a few old characters I can do something with... I'll do a proper writeup in the not too distant future.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 am 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
I am very much in - need to think of my first character...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Definitely in. Need to decide who to use, its an odd selection.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm 
Hmm, not sure I've had many characters that would fit the sitcom bill. Zach seems like the best fit, since Eto is too whiny and other characters, like Kael, Koh and Nephilim, were too distrusting and/or jerkish. Especially in the latter two cases.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:14 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Interesting idea, this. I shall contemplate my submission.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
I think Kensakai would be a good match for this one. After all, he's already been in two shows already, and would have had a part in a third if the lead actor hadn't gone on strike.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I have a string of characters from old games FB and Skitz ran that never quite got off the ground. If I wanted to play out of work actor I'm rather spoiled for choice.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm 
Geegaw Maplewood: A chipmouse (that is, half-chipmunk half-mouse, very rare) who once had a starring role in LadyBlanc's Illuminati University game. While he played a technical genius studying Mad Science, he is not in actual fact capable of putting together complex inventions. (He is capable of using them, however). He's still got a few of the technical props from his game, despite the fact that he was supposed to return them when he left (the production company will sue him if they can ever find him) and is a bit bitter that the game was cancelled before his plane was completed. Despite having no work, he seems to have a steady supply of cash. He does not like to stay in one place for long.

While, in his game, he played a paragon of law and order, in reality he may be linked to the notorious jewel thief known only as The Chipmouse.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Name: Nova

Description: Played the hero of the Triad games run on the board, a fighter with a big heart, a lot of love, and a cursed arm. In real life she's extremely sensitive to the outside world, needing constant medication, allergy pills, eye drops and rubber gloves. She's a real germaphobe. Rumor has it she refused to go on stage until the entire set was sprayed with disinfectant before each take, and she'd never eat any food that wasn't first sealed, cooked to a proper temperature, and served to her in a 'safe room'.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm 
AOL: Krail9
I have to say, that is a very different Nova than the one from the out of character April Fools day "episode" we had a couple years back.

Usual disclaimers. I never have time for anything, will probably only visit this post for 3 days in a row twice a year, blah blah, etc. etc.

Roma: In-game, Roma was the guide. Niece and assistant to the Oracle, she was well-known and played something of a diplomatic leadership role in the party. She was well-loved and trusted by everyone, which made it hurt badly when she betrayed the world.
She has some connection with the villainous Darkrova, and the mysterious beast, Ganon, and seems to be working to put the world under their rule. It has been revealed that she is also the orphan Roma's long lost older sister. She shows a bit of conflict between her familial ties and her alignment with the villains.

Out-of-Game: If this is 30-Rock, Roma is probably Liz Lemon. A classically trained actress and serious nerd, Roma was raised in the theater. She's acted hundreds of shows, and has been the theater manager for most of them. She made the sudden and ambitious jump from theater to TV all at once to manage, direct, and feature in her dream project, a Legend of Zelda TV series. It went great at first, but after years of dealing with divas, absentee actors, a constantly rearranging plot, and a writer/director who can't decide if he wants to keep working on the project, she has become very frazzled.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 am 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Man, we've let this fall by the wayside, and thats an utter shame. Let's start thinking on it again!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 am 
HimizujinEternia wrote:
At the start of each thread, one of the participants will be selected to create the scenario for that thread, some ordinary life plot idea with which to inflict upon our behind the scenes characters, and we start from there.

Ordinary life plot idea: The OOC characters play a game of poker, in a club near the studio.

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG