Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 275 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:19 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Floating in endless Ether lies a college. This college sits on spiraling orange and red clouds. These clouds float in a endless stream of blue Ether, far as the eye can see. In this college there lives the Arbiters, those who balance the Universe. It's an ordinary day for most, taking missions, leaving and entering the college at will, busily going about their day.

But for some today has meaning. For some, today is the start of the rest of their eternal lives.

It's Graduation Day.

It's been a long 7 year program, many students tried but only 7 lasted for the entire course. Only 7 made the cut. And now, those 7 have been summoned into their classroom one last time.

Inside enters what appears to be a giant bat.

A mist the slowly condenses into the form of a heavily scarred 1 armed woman.

A young lady with an old looking hat that covers her eyes.

A giant suit of armor whose footsteps sound oddly hollow.

A man with a kind smile and shut eyes.

A young woman with long blond hair and a floating ball of light at her shoulder.

A seemingly ordinary girl followed by an ethereal fox.

They enter to a classroom they've entered hundreds of times before... but today, it's different. There are no desks, no podiums, no screens... it's empty, completely empty down to bare white walls. In the center of the room stands their teacher, her brown hair tied up in it's normal bun -- but today she stands with a Rapier at her waist and her Shift, The Tome Of Wisdom, in her hands.

"Greetings my graduates!" She bows deeply towards you all. "Congratulations are to be given for you all coming this far. Today you will be taking your final exams to become fully licensed Arbiters. Before you go off, however, I have an extra little... test to give you." She smiles and adjusts her glasses.

"First off! Introductions! Yes, yes, I know you've all worked together before but we tore through a class of over 20, so some of you may have only spoken briefly at best. Please, introduce yourselves to each other... then we shall get started."

(OOC - Go and have some fun, describe your characters and introduce yourself. Establish now if any of you have any history together in class or may even be intolerant or dislike each other outright. Get that all set up now, and then... the fun begins!)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 am 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
Hollow footsteps echo as an armored form walks into the classroom. The figure is clad almost completely in full plate armor, every inch of skin covered by dull steel. Only its head is unarmored, but even it is completely covered. It wears a tattered, plain, dark grey cloak, hood up and around the back and sides of its head, billowing gently as it walks into the room. Even its face is hidden, in this case by a plain white ceramic mask, undecorated and with minimized facial features. It stands at attention until Athena finishes her request, then turns to the others.

"I am the Awakener."

The voice doesn't come from behind the mask - it isn't muffled. Nor, to those with acute enough hearing, does it appear to even come from the mask. Instead, the voice simply is. Neither high nor low in pitch, neither masculine nor feminine, without accent, without even identifiable pitch... a voice without any character, just a means to convey information. With that, the Awakener waits for the others' introductions, the empty eye sockets of its mask perhaps fixed on them or perhaps looking elsewhere entirely.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:03 am 
Alexis is shrouded in a sort of dark aura, part of which covers his eyes. The normal lighting of the room is too bright for these sensitive organs - Alexis prefers the dimness of twilight, or preferably even less light than that. As always, he appears uncomfortable on the ground, and his fellow students may recall how he'd spent the first month sitting nervously on his desk, for what little comfort the extra height gave. His wings he holds tight around his body, giving him a vague resemblance to a giant, walking cigar with a long tail. Said tail twitched with nervousness.

He glances around at his fellow graduates, mildly disappointed that the ball of light appears to be among them. He doesn't know any of them particularly well. "Hi, everyone." he says, his voice high-pitched and squeaky. "I'm... good with safety?" he says, as though uncertain of how to properly introduce himself. "Safe places and defense."

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
############

Tiiiiime... is on my side... oh yes it is!

[...please stop singing that.]

7 YEARS. 7 YEARS of being a floating. Humming. BALL. No form changing except in training, barely being able to speak to Harmony...

IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

[You're already crazy.]

This coming from the guy who once started singing about 'Daisy'.

[That was a bug. We fixed that, remember?]

And the cake...

[Bug.]

Companion Cube.

[Bug. All taken care of... hundreds of years ago.]

But tiiiiime... is on my side... oh yes it is.

[... I never should have let you watch that movie.]

############

Meanwhile...

Harmony, up to this point, generally comes off as being very shy, though very serious about becoming an Arbiter. In the rare cases there might have been any fights among classmates, Harmony was often there trying to mitigate the damage as much as possible, which may not have quite endeared her to the quarreling parties. While a rather beautiful young woman, the few Gods that have made any sort of advances had their flirting go completely go over her head, as she tends to be clueless about that sort of thing (to the point that pretty much anyone who has tried has more or less given up at this point). While she is fairly friendly to the women of the class, she's very shy around any of the men (which, for some strange reason, includes the Awakener but excludes Alexis), so any friends she's made are likely going to be of the female persuasion. Any male (especially Serpico, who she avoids assiduously) may get a few moments of friendly, but shy communication before she scurries off elsewhere.

At the same time, her classmates know very well that defensively speaking, she's probably top of the class, with very strong support abilities. If anything, the main problem that Athena had with training her was actually getting her to fight back.

---

The young woman listens to the two make their introductions, then softly says to Alexis, "Name. Your name." As if to show an example, Harmony stands and bows politely to Athena. "My name is Harmony." She sits back down in her chair.

###########

[Now be quiet, Harmony is introducing herself.]

... the one with the wings... You know who he reminds me of?

[I have a feeling I already know.]

BATMAN!

[... you have my permission to die.]

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:26 am 
Ruan wrote:
The young woman listens to the two make their introductions, then softly says to Alexis, "Name. Your name." As if to show an example, Harmony stands and bows politely to Athena. "My name is Harmony."

"Oh. Right. I'm Alexis."

I've never really understood why everyone here insists on that. Isn't a name basically just an echolocation profile of the person? And everyone can see my face, so... oh, well. It's a harmless eccentricity.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
A young woman with the appearance of a battle-maniac shrine maiden enters the room, a tiny little ethereal fox trotting along in her wake. A thin, sharp-pointed sword in a red scabbard with golden filigree is tucked through a sash of similar design on her waist. Her long black hair falls to the small of her back, otherwise undecorated except for a single tail braided with lace that falls to her chest. In the absence of a desk to sit on the edge of, she finds a comfortable looking section of wall not too far from the group and leans against it. As she does, the fox heads straight for the other people in the room to sniff earnestly at their shins (or lack thereof). It walks right past The Awakener, ignoring the armor altogether as an uninteresting smell. The fox takes a playful swat at Harmony's ball of light before deciding that it wants to know what Alexis will do if it tries to lick his ankle.

"Wow, I never thought I would miss this place when I was gone," Lumina sighs, taking in the atmosphere. "Now that it's sitting empty I'm not so sure anymore. My name is Lumina, by the way. It's what everyone else knew me as, so I see no reason to stop using it."

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 am 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
As the normal, unassuming looking man walks forward, he suddenly cracks his neck, head cocking to the side, without warning, the popping sound sharp and clear. His grin, ever present, would probably seem friendly and unassuming. At first glance.

Dressed cleanly in slacks and a grey polo shirt, he waves a hand casually. But if nothing else, what people notice is that his eyes never open. Slitted shut or not quite, they never move.

His voice is smooth, calm, and utterly captivating. "I'm sure some of you already know this, but I go by Serpico. Though it's quite alright if you forget. It won't bother me, really."

He sits back down, and takes a sketch pad from under his arm and begins to scribble in it.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 am 
AOL: NekoFlashblade
"Doyle... I've finally made it."

A girl, a simple "human" from a largely insignificant blue planet orbiting a fairly unnoteworthy star, stood outside the classroom staring at thick book, closed. A Tome of Sealing, the tool a Mystery Breaker uses to trap the souls of demons by writing their truths. She wears a blue duster jacket, a blue deer hunter cap, both with red lining, and carries a broadsword on her waist. Wrapped around her wrists, elbows, shoulders, waist, torso, knees, ankles, and forehead are gold bindings.

Putting the book away, she enters...

--------------------

"Asch Sheppard."

Her response is formal and straight laced. Much as she has been for the last seven years. That isn't to say she hadn't made friends, but her business-like attitude put her at odds with the likes of Serpico quite often. She was always trying to figure out the Awakener, too. Harmony was always fairly nice to her, so the two got along about as well could be expected. However, her tendency to figure out secrets people had always ended up making it hard for her to get close to others; she has a reputation of being an incorrigible know it all.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:25 am 
The slightly blurred form of the scarred woman looks around the room with disdain, raising her single arm to scratch the back of her thick, rough braid. "We know who you are tin can." She says to the Awakener. "You'd have to be thick as Bliss to miss a suit of armor walking around here, even if half the time we weren't in physical form." Chandi's arm drops to her side, the golden bangles clinking lightly as gravity takes its rightful place.

The dark skinned woman casts her gaze towards the others in the room, pausing for a moment on each one.
Bat boy. Had an interesting perspective on things, but not quick to adapt.
Wide Brim. Too strict, and single minded. Boring.
Tin can is one of those stupid brainless things. Robots? I guess that's what they called those things from other worlds.
Snake is interesting enough. He's hiding something, but that's what makes the game fun.
Dazzler has no aggression. Helps the rest of us well enough, but that won't do much good if we separate, now will it.
And finally the Vixen, acting like sentimentality will win her some friends or that she is just that much above us. If her little pet gets near me, I'm gonna have a new set of fur slippers.

Chandi lets out a sigh, and rolls her shoulders back stretching the muscles, causing the loose teal sleeve on her right side to flutter. "If you ask me," she says turning to Athena, "this is a waste of time. Right this second, I could care more about the atoms of dust in that textbook of yours than I do about these names. When you start this little test, I get the distinct feeling we're gonna be more focused on it than remembering our polite greetings, and how-do-you-dos." Chandi places her hand on her side, and narrows her eyes, as if trying to figure out what the teacher was thinking. None of this rude, confrontational behavior is new to the classroom situation. Chandi's behavior has always been on the angry side, though not always directed at those around her, and not always so blatant. Sometimes a smile from her was more threatening than her feet.

Chandi pulls her hand into a fist, and continues to stare at Athena. "I'm guessing you don't plan on starting this until we get the formalities finished, though, am I right?" A faint smile crosses her lips, and then Chandi bows to the group at large. A slight shift seems to have occurred in her voice, making it much more cheerful and perkier than her normally cold and slightly guttural voice. "I'm Chandi, but you probably already knew that. I hope that we'll do well together." She says to the group at large, a smile plastered across her face. It almost seems genuine, but there's the slightest hint of a crack in the smile, and a small breeze ruffles Chandi's clothing.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 am 
Alexis squeaks nervously as the fox approaches. He spreads his wings (his normal ones, not his Arbiter wings) - he's got a wingspan around three metres - and lays the end of his tail on the ground behind him. His wings are thin membranes of skin, stretched over a framework of bones that might have been a hand if evolution had taken a different path; like the rest of him, they're shrouded in shadow. When Sparklefox (after a brief pause to appreciate this new pose) continues to approach, Alexis pushes off from the ground with his tail at the same time as he pushes his wings down, leaping into the air.

He doesn't stay airborne for long - his body is built for gliding, not hovering, and there really isn't much space to fly in here. He flies over the fox, and over Asch's head, touching down behind her. It takes him but a moment to fold his wings, and then he peers cautiously out from behind Asch, keeping a careful eye on the fox (and keeping Asch between him and it).

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 am 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Serpico slaps Chandi on the back. It's not clear when he got behind her. "Oh, come off it now, we already got Sheppard over there for the uptight quota, don't you keep that up too. It'll be utterly boring." He leans back subtly, as if anticipating a reaction.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am 
AOL: NekoFlashblade
Asch gives Alexis a slight smile as he hides behind her. Serious though she may be, it seemed she always had a bit off a soft spot for the bat boy. She's less fond of the fox sniffing as it sniffs at her legs, though more because of its owner; she took the physicality of sword fighting less seriously than Lumina, and their sparring matches almost always ended before she could get in to her rhythm.

And then there was Chandi.

She could never beat Chandi in a stick-up-the-rear competition. She simply was the best there is.

She casts one quick glare at Serpico for taunting both her and Chandi with a single line, then quickly returns to attention.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:10 pm 
At the sudden touch of Serpico, Chandi spins, raising her leg at great speed, bringing her foot almost to Serpico's face, but pausing before contact is made. "I suppose you're right." She says with a little half-smile. "If we're going to be on the same team, I guess I'll just have to adapt." Chandi sets her foot on Serpico's shoulder, and leans towards him, putting her face uncomfortably close to his. "But until we become the bestest of best friends, I highly recommend not touching me. Unless you want to learn how to draw with stumps where those pretty hands used to be." She smiles in a manner not too dissimilar to Serpico's own smile, and drops her leg from his shoulder before backing up. "So," Chandi says, turning around to face Athena, "Now that we've got all of our introductions finished and out there, why don't you tell us why you've got your Shift and your weapon?" Chandi clenches her hand into a fist and releases a few times, as if warming up the muscles ever so slightly. "Plan on teaching us one last lesson? One that's a little more interactive than the theory?"

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:39 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
The little fox sneezes as a gust of air left in the wake of Alexis' sudden flight tickles it's whiskers. It then immediately runs toward Lumina to see if it can cadge a treat. Lumina obliges, pulling a small snack treat out of her pocket and giving it to her familiar. The little guy immediately snatches it up and runs to the corner farthest away from the group where it can eat the snack without fear of someone taking it.

"Sorry if the little guy bothers you Alexis," Lumina apologizes, scratching her head nervously. "He's just curious, I swear."

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:33 am 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Athena smiles widely as her students enter her classroom, bowing to each of them in turn as they enter. "Hello again, all of you."

She waits patiently as everybody re-introduces themselves, not moving to stop Chandi and Serpico because she knows that they know quite better. They may recall some... lessons on getting along and Athena's displeasure at in-fighting.

"Oh!" She fakes shock for Chandi, "My dastardly plan has been revealed! Alas!" She slowly draws her rapier, the ringing of the metal silencing the class better than any stern look she could ever give. "Yes, in fact. You all have one final lesson before I let you all into the field."

She begins to pace, a normal routine during her lectures. "You have all been trained in combat... or at least, how to fight in sparing matches. Few of you have had real battle experience, at least as Gods. But there is something else far more important than fighting I have to teach you all today." She pauses, "All of you have yet to die."

She lets her words sink in before continuing, "Maybe a few of you have died as Mortals... maybe even a few as Gods. But never on the field, never in the middle of battle... never as Arbiters. It is... disorientating to say the least. Some Gods cannot handle the first death, some need a while to recover. That's why we are here to day... some teachers do not like this method, but I beg to differ." She swings her blade, a thin sharp point made for thrusting stabs, not slashing. "If your first death is on the field, and you break down or freeze up... then your enemy may capture your unguarded soul. You need to learn how it feels, both to die and to come back, so you know what to expect."

"And I am here to guide you... gently... into this." She steps backward, "Here is your challenge. I am going to try and kill you all, all seven of you, at the same time. Your condition for loss is allowing me to have all 7 of you down at once... so make your priority picking your fallen allies back up. Remember, it only take around 5 units of Ethereal Power to revive an ally who is stunned. It takes a damned sight more, around 25, to bring somebody back from the dead... and yes, you can do so without any healing runes. It's a simple transfer of energy - crude, yes, but effective."

"Your winning condition?" She smiles, "You cannot hope to kill me. I am far older, and far more experienced. Therefore, I am not going to use my full power upon you, nor any but the most basic Perks I've trained. It will just be me, my three runes of Fire, Ice and Recovery, and my Shift... in only it's Sealed form. Your goal is to press me... push me far enough to NEED to open my Shift to survive. If you are able to do so, I shall reward you with something you would not normally get until after your first Mission. Should you fail and all 7 of you die at once, or die enough to become what is known as 'Deadlocked', then you will get that reward at the normal time."

She falls into basic defensive stance. "Here are your advantages against me. I am going to tell you what I am about to do, each time I am about to do it. Beyond that, I will also refine your battle techniques as we go. Remember, you all have training for 3 actions per trade - you cannot exceed that. I am going to use 5. You may use offensive actions, defensive actions, and support actions in battle. Play to your stats! Edge for physical power, Rune for Runic Power, Keen for Targeted Attacks! Mind your Defenses! Flux for Physical, Will for Runic, Beat for Traps! Use your Runes! Be imaginative! Be careful! And watch each others backs!"

Athena prepares her defenses

[Defensive x5 - Dodge]

"I am focusing completely on defense this turn. I will not counter, I will not attack. Now is your best opportunity to inflict unanswered damage upon me! Can you breech my defenses?" She salutes the class with her blade, "Come."

—————————————>
    [Athena – Level ???]
    Health – [75/75]
    Ether – [150/150]
    Speed – [12(8)]
    Regen – [2 HP/R]
    Recharge – [10 EP/C]
    Perception – [7]
    APT – [5]
    [Status]
    <Slip Edge> Use Beat for Physical Defense
    <Fencer’s Pride> Use Keen for Physical Attack
    <Walk The Wind> +4 Speed
    <—————————————
    [Race / Anima] – Wisdom Goddess; 1 Turn Res Wait, 10% EP Cost (Costs Double Per Death)
    [Stats]
    Edge – 4
    Flux – 3
    Keen – 7
    Beat – 8
    Rune – 7
    Will – 7
    Soul – 4
    Alignment – Balanced

[Shift] – Tomb Of Wisdom; Sealed Form – Able to read all stats/powers
    [Runes] – <Fire> <Ice> <Recover>

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 275 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG