Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:14 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
I'm in if you'll have me!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:17 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
This seems to introduce the concept of dream-gaming. A different level of time passing, a cutoff from the real world and senses expect for sharp stimuli -- IE: Inception's "Kick".

So a few quick questions:

1 - Does long term use mess with your real world senses? IE -- how disorientating is it to return to real time?

2 - Does pain work in game? It's supposed to be an MMO correct? What happens if your character is hit, or worse, dies in game? Is there a physical response, or a psychological one?

3 - And last, since its neurologically linked to your character, is it possible for said person's brain to be hacked and become an "Uber-Cyber-Zombie-Attack-Squad!" <--slipped into character for a second ^^

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Your character scares me.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 pm 
Is it possible to access Divein without using an external Neurodive? Specifically through the use of an old school surgically implanted neuralweave cybernetics?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
To rabbit.

1: Not really physically, but it can b e really disorienting. The longer you spend in game, the more time passes, naturally, which can kinda mess with your memories and daily schedule.

2. Pain is extremely blunted, it doesnt pass a threshhold, but it does exist. It was found that it enhanced player performance to have even a slight punishment factor.

3: No, and Anima Software asks you to stop spamming the forums with that question.

Balthazar: No such tech was made, or at least in commercial use. Exterior functioning tech worked better, so no need for pervasive tech was ever established, except perhaps in extreme circumstances. If you have an idea that needs that, i'll need it well justified.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Does the software include jiggle physics? If no, has anyone tried to create a mod that adds jiggle physics?

Actual Questions with Actual Seriousness:
Is hacking going to be a function in the game? Also, how meta is this game going to get? Like, say, how often will our character's outside lives and concerns function into the game? Will there be sections where we go "offline" and interact with each other in the real world?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:37 pm 
For intents and purposes, hacking will either be non existent, or heavily plot controlled. i dont recommend being a hacker for that purpose (honestly, theres a level of game control i need to hang on to)

Meta-ness is a plot point. As i said, this is more than just a game (itd be an odd choice.) The game is going to start with MORE online presence. the first session or two might only have offline as a summary at the end of a sequence. I want the players acclimated to in game before they do off game stuff. ill work with the players to develop their life situations as we go, and you can use the early time to develop their internal personality from how you have them play. Once some of the plot elements kick in, there will be more variation. more changes in what matters, and what is focused on.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 am 
SSJJared wrote:
DiveIn is BRAND new. A year, at most. Right now, the biggest risk with acceleration is that it kinda causes some psychological disconnect to overuse. IT only works in a complete encoded environment, too. You cant "accelerate" in real life. Since you can't "move" faster, you would just sit there, looking at everything in slow motion.

Quite. But if you're typing up reports... writing software... preparing presentations... then you can do that accelerated in a virtual room with a virtual chair, a virtual desk, and a virtual PC. As long as you're producing data, and not personally working on the assembly line.

Of course, considering its newness, it may be a while before that idea really catches on. (I can think of some follow-ons, but those almost certainly won't be around yet). But it seems probable that the company that produces DiveIn uses it for the programmers working on the Dream game...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 am 
OK, CCC, this line has been pursued enough, thank you.

Domain of Dreams is an online expansion of an earlier single player rpg, Dreamer's World. It told the tale of the Age of Dreams, and what came of it. A fantasy world, the Age of Dreams told of humanity's downfall as the dominant r ace. During the previous age, the Age of Collapse, their great empires came to an end, t heir people scattered and their cities lost. They exist now as a lesser people, numerous, but ousted in power by the eight races who have taken their place, dividing up the great land of Odjnmir among themselves. The races vie for control, and humans find themselves often in the middle, as victims, or as tools. The original game was the story of a single figure's search for a home to protect his family, and swept up into a great tale of the past of humans.

Domain of Dreams takes place after that game. Nothing much has changed, a single human settlement exists outside the space of the races, but otherwise, they still live as a race without a base of power, without a nation. So they do what they can with the other races to survive.

The 8 races, who have taken time to cultivate their worlds to their preferences are

The elves of the forests. One of the most civil races. The elves prefer living in spread out communities. They are the most willing to allow other species to live permanently in their cities. They are agile and nimble, and good with the subtle arts. They appreciate magic of water and wind.

Sprites of the Trees. Closely connected with the elves, the sprites live in heavier forested zones, and make no effort to clear them. They live among the treetops, as the only race with the ability to fly. They are shy when alone, and dont like people near their cities without need. Few are as good as pure magics as them, particulary in wind and light.

Dwarves of the Mountains: The dwarves dig deep into the stone, and build both above and below ground. Masters of craft, and great of strength. They are weaponsmiths over all, and what magic they know tends towards the earth and fire types.

Geckas of the Water: Lizards who live comfortably in both land and water. Their lake studded zone has settlements both above and b elow the surface. They are distrustful of strangers, though they are loyal if won over. They distrust elves over all else. They craft little, and their magic is mostly of water, and occasionally that of light.

Trakerin of the Desert. Humanoid in appearance, but with antennae, and segmented eyes. On occasion some of them form more bug like appendages. They are nomads, with few settlements. They attack trespassers without mercy, one must kow how to negotiate passage through their land, or risk being enslaved. They trade heavily, and their mages work with Fire and Light.

Jotun of the tundra. Massive figures who live in the remote northern reaches. They respect naught but strength. Have none, and y oull be thrown out or crushed. Win agaist them, and make a close and loyal friend. They trade and war with no species. Their magic is Water and Darkness.

Goblins of the plains. Despite their ugly and mean look, they are a fairly mild sort. Aggressive only because they believe that the other races will attack them. They live in calm a nd scattered villages. Though if their anger is roused, they swarm in terrifying numbers. They know the magics of Earth and Darkness.

Demons of the city. Despite their harsh name, the demons are by far the most human of the races.....in psychology. They live in large stone cities, and are masters of organization and what industrialization the times allow for. Creatures of many shapes and sizes, they exist, apaprently, to give the art departments of the company a lot of work in making random models. Their best magics are the ones of Light and Darkness.

It is also known that the class system is a s imple one. The game will have 9 basic classes, though they are groupings rather than specific paths. The paths will be unique to each player, based on how they answer their questionarre in character creation.

The classes are:
The warrior of great power, the Knight. (close ranged battle, focus on power)
The nimble and sharp fighter, the Master.(close ranged, focus on speed and skill)
The mighty arm, the Javelin.(long ranged warrior, focused on thrown and heaved weapons)
The eagle eye, the Hunter. (Master of bows and other ranged weapons)
The forger of power, the Smither.(weaponsmith, second highest possible strength)
The elemental warrior, the Slayer. (close ranged magical power, elemental strikes)
The crafter of magics, the Caster. (Mage)
The protector of life, the Confessor. (healing, support, specialty power)
The silent shadow, the Assassin (Spy and silent death)

AS well, elemental affinity will be decided from the same test, which will also modify the powers in question. Though combinations can do some specific things, the basic elements are, as noted, Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Dark, and Light.

Ok, thats the basics of the game, i think. Add it to the stack o things you can ask about, I suppose.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:58 am 
Okay, done with that line.

You say that our roles in the game get assigned through a quiz. Presumably my character can lie in the quiz to get the character he wants? I'm thinking of making a student who, mildly obsessed with some work of fiction, bases his in-game character on a character from that work of fiction; prizing a closer match to this ideal over character power. (For the ideal in question, I'm considering Oasis; he'd probably take on a Trakerin, answer the questions in the way that he thinks would improve his elemental affinity to fire, and try for a Master type character or possibly an Assassin. He'll probably reroll characters until he gets red hair, too, if possible).

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Is it possible to play as a human?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am 
My character would prefer to land the Knight or the Smither, and would try and word the quiz answers to attempt to do so. What's the policy on re-rolling till we get what we want?

Also, do we get to chose our in game race? Or is that part of the quiz as well. My character would prefer to be a big bruiser, and Jotun fits the bill perfectly.

(Basically asking for a good in-game reason to keep players from re-rolling or else anyone would do so, and for just how much control our characters will have over their character's creation. A character within a character within a character. Toonception joke made).

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 pm 
ok, i thought i made it clear. all players get Human characters.

And while you can certainly lie on the quiz, i encourage you to use it at least in part as a character development, rather than trying to guess and manipulate it.

For the beta, rerolling is not allowed. The information packet says that they want a random experience to increase the odds of a large number of different types of playing styles, rather than directed choices.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:15 pm 
SSJJared wrote:
ok, i thought i made it clear. all players get Human characters.

Oooooh. Right.

SSJJared wrote:
And while you can certainly lie on the quiz, i encourage you to use it at least in part as a character development, rather than trying to guess and manipulate it.

That's not a problem. I'll simply provide both the false answer that my character would give to try to manipulate the result, and the true answer which my character will keep quiet about.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 pm 
CCC wrote:
That's not a problem. I'll simply provide both the false answer that my character would give to try to manipulate the result, and the true answer which my character will keep quiet about.

That... is actually a rather good idea.

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG