Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:02 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
ThyLordQ - I'm going to have you upgrade Brand's Gauntlets and then give them a Power upgrade, OK?

JJ - for your records, I bought 2 Power, gained 2 and 1 from the Bear, and I'll use a total of 3 Power and 1 Magic, which should leave me with 1 Power.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Im really sorry for the delays, guys. Ive been thinking to myself, bcause i feel that as it is, the game is still too clunky.

My first question is this. I've been told that as important as fights are, im making them too long and frequent, that i should probably shorten the sequences for non boss fights, and i sorta get that. I also know that many of the players REALLY want to have their first chance to work in the RL section of the world, which, i will promise you, begins after you defeat this dungeon, for a specific reason. So i want to ask, while i work oin adjusting everything to try once again to get this going at a reasonable speed. What thoughts do you have, so far? Other than my delays, what works and doesnt work so far in this game? Maybe im a bit too close to it, and you might see something I haven't.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am 
Hmmm. I think... I think shortening non-boss fights covers most of it.

I think that a fair bit of the clunkiness (and maybe some of the delays) may come from the amount of stuff being kept track of. The sort of thing that's easy for a real MMORPG, but a lot harder for one guy doing it all by hand. There's what I think may be a little too much focus on the mechanics, which takes away from the focus on inter-character interactions and/or plot.

I think you've got the right sort of balance for a boss fight - that fight against the wood-bear-glitch, for example. But I imagine that not every fight is intended to be a boss fight. That, at some point, we'll meet the hapless mooks who get taken out by the dozens, like blades of grass in front of a lawnmower - like some of those rat-men from the intro, perhaps - and they should probably be treated as inconsequentially. If there's no serious danger presented by a given foe, then perhaps the battle should be backgrounded a lot more; the metaphorical dice should only roll when there's something that happens if we succeed, and something that happens if we fail.

...that's what I think.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:19 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Sorry Guys. You don't deserve this result, but it turns out that its what were getting. Most of you have heard this already anyways, so I'm making it official.

I can't continue Domain of Dreams. There were so many factors in this, from me unwisely prioriitizing making a system to the point of complexity, to not thinking out the story hooks in a proper order, to eventually just my own frustration every time i thought of the game. I am shuttering this game. And going on to work on a new one. I hope those who see the new one will give it a chance as well.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:07 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
I'm sad that it ended up this way, but knowing what you have in mind I'm glad I'll be able to port Karie to another game.

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG