Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:50 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot replies to Clarke: "It was not me. I have never been here before."

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:15 am 
"I know it wasn't you." says Clarke. "The specific AI responsible for... well, no need to go into all that... it was rather thoroughly destroyed, main copy and backups deleted. So, anyhow. Are there any supplies that your group will need? I'd personally recommend at least taking gas masks - I know that CyberSolutions has access to several varieties of knockout gas, and that they like using them because it's a method of deterring break-ins that gets them good public relations."

"I presume that you won't personally need one," Clarke says to Spot, "but I'm sure the rest of your group could use them."

"Could you let go of the zapper?" asks the scarred man, quietly. Sally, with a glare at Wilshire and Spot, lets go of the device. The scarred man puts it in his pocket.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:00 am 
After some time, Clarke takes them to the building that stores the backup. He insists on leaving a set of gasmasks with them, on the basis that CyberSolutions likes using a certain knockout gas in their automated defense systems.

"We should be finished dealing with the development copy within two hours." he says. "If you could take care of the backup by then, it would be really helpful."

--------------

From the outside, the building doesn't look too imposing. There's a fence; a gate (closed) and a small hut off to one side of the entrance, where the security guards probably are. The building itself is brick, 10 storeys tall (which seems a lot to house just one backup).

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Are there any visible windows on any of the structures? Any visible cameras?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 am 
It looks like an ordinary, not particularly well-maintained apartment block. There are dozens of windows visible, including several on the ground floor. There are balconies from the second floor upwards. There's no sign that it's occupied - no washing hanging from lines, no curtains in the windows. (There is a potplant on a fourth-floor balcony, but it doesn't look like it's been watered for a year or more; it's very brown and probably dead).

The paint is just starting to peel.

The only visible camera is mounted above the front door, where it will get a good view of anyone knocking at said front door.

The small hut for the security guards has a single, unglazed window on the side, through which the people in the hut can interact with anyone who walks through the gate. Unlike the apartment block, this little wooden hut appears to have had a new coat of paint a mere month or two ago.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
While still out of sight of the guards, Professor Barnes nods to the group. "Already, boys. I'm going to go distract the guards. You should capitalise upon the situation and wipe those servers."

He tips his hat to one side, ruffles his jacket a bit, slightly untucks his shirt, then wobbles slightly unsteadily on his walking stick over towards the guard shack, where he promptly raps on the window with the knob of his cane. "Pardon me, lads," he calls with a slight slur, "I seem to be a bit lost. Could you maybe direct me towards Shaunaugassy Park?"

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:58 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
"Alright, brethren, where are those servers?" Wil believes 'wipe' is synonymous with 'crush'.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:48 am 
There are three security guards sitting in the booth. They are busy with some sort of card game when Barnes attracts their attention.

"Shaunaugassy Park?" asks the first guard. "I don't know."

"Isn't that that place just west of Head Office?" asks the second.

"No, no, no." says the third. "That's West Park. Shaunaugassy Park is... you know, I'm not sure."

"We could direct you to the subway station, if that'll help." suggests the second guard.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot is confused, but if that's supposed to distract the guards...

Staying very low and fading to a color somewhat closer to that of the ground, Spot approaches the building.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:44 am 
Professor Barnes pats at his jacket and makes a show of checking his pockets. "Oh dear, I seem to be without change for the subway. I fear I must walk." He leans forward, trying to peer into the shack. "You don't have a map or something in there, do you? Perhaps we can have a look and I can get my bearings."

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am 
Spot: Stealth: 2
Staying below window level: +2
Bright Daylight: -2
Distraction: +1
Roll: 0
Total: +3

Guards: Alertness: 0 Roll: -1 Total: -1

Like a sand-coloured spidery ninja, Spot tiptoes under the window and makes it past the guard's hut without being noticed. On the far side of the guard's hut, he finds the door they use to get in and out - it is currently closed.

It might be best to wait for Thomas - or, at least, his singularity key - before sneaking any closer to that camera over the front door, though.

Prof. Barnes: Rapport: +3 Roll: +2 Total: +5

The guards glance from one to another. "We don't have a map on us." says one.

"Not to worry, Gramps." says another, encouragingly. Searching his pockets, he produces some small change, and hands it over. "Here you go, this should be enough for a ticket."

The inside of the shack is mostly taken up by a small table, on which a few small piles of small-denomination coins and several cards indicate how the guards spend most of their time. There's a telephone on the wall (currently quiet), three chairs, and three brown paper bags which one assumes contain three lunches.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:40 pm 
Professor Barnes's eyes light up. "Oh, do you boys play poker? It's been ages since I've gotten a chance to play. I don't suppose you'd deal me in a hand? And can one of you break a hundred?"

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 am 
The security guard's eyes light up. "You want to earn your subway fare?" asks the one who'd offered to pay for it. "Sure!"

"Come right in!" says the second, opening the door (Spot quickly hides behind the guard's hut, remaining unobserved).

The guards quickly rearrange the chairs, to give Barnes a place to sit - since there's only three chairs, one of the guards sits on the windowsill, with his back to the pathway outside. They introduce themselves (their names being Tom, John, and Clarence) and deal the Professor in.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Now having a better idea of how the guards are supposed to be distracted, Spot waits for the others before approaching the camera.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:51 pm 
David Murphy

Stealth: +2
Excellent Distraction: +2
Roll: +0
Total: +4

Thomas Faren

Stealth: +0
Roll: +1

King Wilshire

Stealth: +1
Roll: +0

With the help of Professor Barnes' distraction, the other three members of the Singularity Hunters sneak past the guard's booth without being spotted. For the moment, they seem almost flat, two-dimensional, as if they'd been replaced by cardboard cutouts... nah. It's just a trick of the light, surely.

...surely?

--------------

With the Singularity Key, breaking into the building is simplicity itself - the doors are generally not even locked, and there's one path (down the stairs, into the basement) that lacks the patina of dust that covers the other paths.

The entire inside of the building is covered by a multitude of security cameras, evidently added fairly recently; the data feeds from the cameras all converge, and head down into the basement along with the least-dusty path. Hundreds of wires emerge from that basement, hinting at vast numbers of cameras in the upper floors of the buildings - far more than would be required for any reasonable security system. There are gas canisters here and there, and there's a metal plate to the left of the front door and next to all the windows that's clearly designed to seal the exits when certain conditions are met (and wires from the shutter mechanisms, too, lead down to the basement, leaving no doubt as to where the central control for the security system is).

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG