Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:17 am 
"Hey!" snaps Sally. "Get off there!"

She makes a vigorous attempt to chase Spot away from the electronics with a rolled-up electronics magazine. However, thus does not prevent Spot from getting a good idea of what it is for.

A lot of the equipment appears designed for surveillance - cameras, parabolic microphones, and that sort of thing. These are neatly placed in a corner, out of the way. Another set of. equipment is anti-surveillance - bug sweepers, white noise generators, etc. These show signs of regular use.

But by far the bulk of the equipment is designed for the purpose of remote controlling a series of robots - seeing through their camera eyes, hearing through their microphone ears, and controlling their motion from afar. Most of the robots controlled by this equipment are in a large crate at one end of the truck - the sole exception (a robot designed to look like an innocent cleaning droid) is, apparently, sitting in the airport, moving slowly towards the exit.

All of the equipment is well maintained and in good repair. There is also a good supply of tools and spare parts.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am 
CCC wrote:
Sally snorts. "Who's the one who messes with my cameras?" she asks.

"That would be me. It can be a bit annoying since it can't be turned off, but I find it's nicer not having to worry about prying eyes," Thomas replies, climbing into the truck. "I'm Thomas, by the way."

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:15 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Wilshire puts his fist to his heart and gives a slight bow to Sally.
"Greetings. Shall you be bringing the ale?"

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:18 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Professor Barnes thumps Wilshire with his walking stick.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:18 am 
Thomas: Empathy +1 Roll: +0 Total: +1

Sally gives Thomas a mildly irritated look. "Well." she says, placated slightly by his friendly smile.

Stan Cold wrote:
Wilshire puts his fist to his heart and gives a slight bow to Sally.
"Greetings. Shall you be bringing the ale?"

Sally draws herself up to her full height (about a head shorter than Wilshire) and takes a deep, angry breath. The scarred man reacts quickly, forestalling her anger by placing a hand over her mouth. "He's from a different planet." says the scarred man, speaking swiftly. "Different culture, alright? I'm sure he didn't mean it like that. Listen, they're going to deal with the backup server while we move on the working copy."

Sally relaxes slightly, the edge taken from her anger. She gives Wilshire a distinctly unfriendly look, but any actual angry rant may have been temporarily averted.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot stays off the equipment for the nonce, just watching the people and the monitors.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
After a few beats, something occurs to Spot. Addressing the locals, it says "Do you have extra tools?"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 am 
"Yeah, I have a few spare tools." says Sally, cautiously. "Why do you ask?" She narrows her eyes. "And whose remote are you, anyway?"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:29 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"I think we need tools. They" it indicates the people it's traveling with "need tools. This was not planned."

After a beat it adds "I am...local. 'The Man' knows this."

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:25 pm 
"We have time to get any tools or equipment you feel necessary." says Clarke. "What do you need?"

"What do you mean, 'local'?" asks Sally, suspicious. "You grew up here on Rigel?"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot shifts a bit so it's central node is level with Sally's head. "I am right in front of you. This is all of me. Please do not broadcast that." It extends a bunch of tendrils in an arm/hand configuration at about the right height for shaking hands, then continues "My name is Spot. How do you do?"

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:06 pm 
Sally falls off her chair backwards in surprise. "You're an AI?" she asks, fumbling at her belt and drawing forth some vaguely rectangular device. The scarred man quickly intervenes again, taking her hand that holds the device and holding it closed and out of the way.

"Look," says the scarred man, in a reasonable tone of voice, "it doesn't mean he's self-improving. He's probably Johnston-0.9 or something."

"Anything with a hard drive that thinks is self-improving in the long run!" insists Sally. "It's just a matter of time!"

If Spot had to guess, that handheld device probably delivers an electric charge enough to scramble conventional electronics. Unless it's incredibly overpowered (to the point of melting what metal it is applied to), such a device would be entirely unable to damage Spot's systems but lethal to a more ordinary robot.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:13 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Wilshire steps between Sally and Spot. "No witch threatens my ally! Even if he himself is a product of witchcraft."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot considers the scene, then says "I have no 'hard drive'. I am not electronic. With your technology, I can not reproduce. I am...sterile." After a beat it adds "I think it is part of the reason I was invited by 'The Man' instead of being attacked."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:07 am 
Sally sneers at the big man towering over her. "So the bigot defends the abomination." Her head only comes halfway up Wilshire's chest; in a physical confrontation, Wilshire could probably hold her off with one hand.

"Look, Sally, could you calm down a minute?" asks the scarred man, still holding her hand with the device in it so she can't use it. "These nice people are willing to help us out by taking care of the backup of a potential Singularity. Can you try not to alienate them? Please?"

"I'm so sorry about this." apologises Clarke, taking hold of Sally's other arm. "Sally here had... a bad experience with an AI once."

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG