Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 am 
Cecil slips his tablet into his automatic computing hardware test suite, and asks Sam (the AI installed in said test suite) to 'give it a once-over, please, I tried rebooting from the ROM and it didn't work for some reason'.

After all, what are the chances that this entirely independent test system gets damaged on the same day?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:57 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Pretty bad, it turns out.

Sam the LAI (that's Limited Artificial Intelligence for those playing the home game) considers the PCPD for a moment.

Code:
initialize ICE1... running
initialize ICE2... running
initialize ICE3...... running
initialize ICE4... running

mounting testPCPD......................... mounted

testBoot testPCPD........ testBoot failed
testHardware.................... autoInterrupt

run homesrv/media/sam/sfx/whistle.wav
"Ok, first things first, this I'm not seeing, like, half of the RAM this little thing is supposed to have. Did you drop it, perchance?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 am 
"Yes, there was a degree of physical trauma." admits Cecil. "Some chips may have been shaken loose. There was also mention of an autochef preparing to attempt to take over the world, but I was prevented from investigating properly. Are you able to repair the damage, or, failing that, to recover the contents of the memory for installation on new hardware?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:29 am 
Code:
run homesrv/media/sma/sfx/MythTheresProblem.wav
"Even odds that the RAM problem is a loose chip, which you will have to fix yourself, seeing as you never game me eyes, let alone hands.

"As for the autochef... this wouldn't be a proprietary system owned by any type of publically traded corporation? If you were dumb enough to try to do an illegal debug on the autochef at, say, a McDonalds you are going to get sued /so hard/."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 am 
"Okay, which chip's the loose one?" asks Cecil, retrieving his screwdrivers and preparing to take the back off the tablet at long last. "It was the autochef at McFadden's," he continues, off-handedly, "and I got thrown out of the kitchen before I could get a proper look at the system, which is a pity. Someday, I'll need to teach you the difference between 'illegal' and 'wrong'."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am 
Code:
"Chip 0x01. You're lucky you weren't prosecuted. According to WebJD they could make a case for pressing charges for trespassing, and corporate espionage. 'Wrong' may not be the same as 'illegal', but illegality trumps rightness or wrongness in the eyes of the law. Of course moralistic judgements are beyond the scope of my programming. I am only a /Limited/ Artificial Intelligence.

"Personally I think you were being paranoid. An autochef isn't smart enouh to have /motive/, much less opportunity to go rampant."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
"Hm." says Cecil, looking at the revealed innards of the tablet and putting on his antistatic gloves. Let's see, there's chip 0x00, so chip 0x01 will be... "The question then is, whether the opportunity to get a good look at an AI that wants to take over the world is worth facing the legal penalties or not." Cecil carefully reseats the chip. "And I'm not actually quite sure that it is, but if not then it's close. How's that?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 pm 
Code:
"Resetting..."

mounting testPCPD......................... mounted

testBoot testPCPD........ testBoot failed
testHardware.................... booting

"That's better. Everything is fine, aside from the fact that you probably dropped this thing.

"I think you're being paranoid. There is no way an autochef was trying to 'take over the world'. They don't have any external access except to whatever warehouse that the foodstuffs are fabbed from. Besides, didn't you accuse the dimmer switch in the bathroom of trying to take over the world as well?"
The PCPD in the test bay is fine, nonsense aside.

Back at McFaddens, the afternoon crowd is coming in before the Sunday games start. Parcy draws a crowd as a few fans of the nascent Juicer Football League recognise him.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:34 pm 
"That dimmer switch was evil!" insists Cecil, replacing the panel. "And honestly, security on those warehouse links is a joke. I could probably break through it if I tried, at least far enough to be able to send email. And an autochef AI could email itself. Get access to anything connected to the Net, that way, sooner or later"

He removes the gloves, slightly disappointed that there is really no reasonable way to conclude that the autochef had purposely damaged iis tablet, and asks his scheduling LAI when that astronomy LAI needs to be ready. He follows this by spending the rest of the evening (and a bit longer) working, and finally (if not interrupted) goes to bed at about one in the morning.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:30 pm 
At McFadden's things wing on, and unless anyone has anything particular they want to do things keep on keeping on.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:37 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Triss left a while ago, when the crowd came in. She had to get back to work, after all.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:10 am 
His appointment an apparent no show, Alex stops his typing around dinner time and, after gathering his things and paying his tab, heads home.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:25 am 
AOL: [email protected]
Wolfgang's attention snaps to reality. "Joe, ya ever feel like you retconned, then some other retcon happened to correct it, and then you just feel like an idiot?" He checks his watch. "Probably because it's getting late and I'm getting drunk. G'night." And Wolf goes to bed.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Now that things have stopped being interesting, Lita pays her bill, bids farewell, and runs straight to the nearest gaming center to re-download all of her games.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 am 
All the PCs having left, the NPC patrons and indeed the bar itself start fading into featureless darkness. Joe pauses in washing a glass and stares into the blackness.

"No Wolf, no I don't." He says in response to the long gone patron. "Im only an NPC, so I don't get to retcon."

And then he was gone himself.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG