Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Krail9
(OOC: I'm kinda going back and forth over the thread and chapter names here)

The 6th day, Dawn, May 9th
Weather: Stormy

Chapter 8: A Shift in Perspective

Surprise Visitors

On a small plaza in front of the entrance to the Spirit Temple, there is a large stone dais, upon which is carved the image of the Triad. A shaft of blue light descends from some unseen origin in the sky, and one by one, our heroes, consumed and elevated by this mystical light, find themselves gently placed on the ground.
As the last of them is set down, the light fades away, and the frigid pre-dawn breeze catches them unaware.

The eastern sky is aglow. The sun should rise within the hour. After the long night everyone just spent, sleep is the first thing on your minds, and many are probably debating whether it is a better idea to camp here or to head back to the fort.

"Oh Gods... No..." Turafa mutters.

Fate is not so kind as to let your rest. Such thoughts are soon cut short when a sudden storm blows over. Sudden in that, mere moments before there was not a cloud to be seen. Thick, dark thunderheads seem to have rather suddenly coalesced directly overhead. There's a sudden flash of heat and an explosion, and the the stone entryway to the temple collapses. From the explosion spreads a circular wall of fire, maybe 200 feet in diameter. You get the distinct feeling, both from the obvious facts before you and from an odd sensation in the pit of your stomach, that you've just been put into a cage.

A huge, hulking shadow manifests right at the edge of the flames farthest from you. "I assure you, Farore's Wind will not work now." That voice... your can feel your blood chill. It seems silent, and yet you can feel it vibrating in your chest. "What tricks have you left? Shall someone else pull a spell or a cursed artifact from your pocket, lay down your life to slow me? I'll wait."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:36 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
The thin nearly unseen hairs on Nova's necks stand on end, a growl forms in her throat and even Sophy in her drunken stupor is snapped out of it and hides in Nova's hair. Nova draws her blade, glowing in the light, "Ganon." She raises the blade for him, showing the beast that it's growing stronger.

"What's this? Roma sent her little pet Piggy after us already?" She's in no mood to deal with this. "You want a spell?" She raises her bandaged arm, "I got one for you. Or do you want another taste of the Ascendant's Sword?! I won't be caught off guard again and you will be the one to die here!!"

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Kisaimooglet
"Oh..." Kite looks up at the hulking shadow under lit by the fiery circle. He may never have met Ganon, but it isn't hard to guess who that is. "!" he mutters in an indefinable tongue. His whole body had gone on high alert, muscles ready to fire. His headache is being swept away in a wash of new adrenaline. He glances sideways at Nova as she speaks up. Is she crazy? We didn't stand a chance against Roma! How are we supposed to beat that monster? There was clearly no place to run, but they might be able to hide until an opportunity presented itself, but how to hide in a cage of fire?

Kite breathed out sharply with a hissing noise. A cloud of mist, pulsing and shimmering with every color of the rainbow exploded outward from under his feet and spread, quickly filling the cage of fire in dazzling mist and illusionary lights. He even managed to fabricate a few ghost sounds to further mask their positions in the shroud.

Moving quickly, he darted forward and grabbed Nova's free hand. "Move!" He said firmly, tugging her along a few feet toward a bit of rubble he had seen earlier. They might not be able to hide for long, but if Ganon attacked where they had been standing then it would be best if they weren't there.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:34 am 
Website: http://www.side7.com/cgi-bin/S7SDB/Display.pl?act=gallery&aid=17451
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: lil_washu05
AOL: OoEleruinoO
Location: Where the towels are oh so fluffeh and the air smells like warm root beer
Elruto is lowered gently to the ground by the ray of light. He feels oddly serene, considering he just spent a night fighting for his life rather than sleeping. As his feet touch the cool stone and the light dissipates from him, his bandages, loosened by so much running and jumping and climbing and falling, flutter wistfully down around his feet, revealing soft, pink, scaleless skin on his leg and arm. He is no longer bleeding and hardly scabbed, and he no longer feels particularly in pain, though his newly exposed skin is very sensitive. The cold pre-dawn air is a shock, but after a moment is intensely refreshing. He feels awake again, if still a little off-balance.

But the pleasant coolness of the early morning is abruptly shattered, as first heat, then flame, then the speech of a ominous figure encompass the prince's whole being. The beast's words strike a chord in him as deep as Jokarne's song, and he can register nothing but fear and dread. He barely hears Nova's shouting, has just enough faculty to be briefly amazed that Kite would still have the energy to conjure such an illusion. He sees Kite duck into the glistening fog, then suddenly comes to himself again. He looks at Zarala, nudges her gently and motions for her to follow, then ducks into the fog himself, careful to carry his halberd low so as not to reveal his location. Unable to think of a better direction, he starts heading toward the oasis.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:43 am 
"That sword is no stronger than when we last met," the beast responds to Nova.

"Oh... oh... That monster... What's going on?" Tanari says. "Oh my head... I've never felt anything so... soo.... evil..."

There's a bit of confusion when the illusory mist and confusing sounds spring up, and Jokarne shouts for everyone to spread out.

Elruto (and Zarala?) don't get far, running across the sand until they almost run head first into the wall of flames. At the edge of the mist cloud, they can see the oasis a few feet beyond the fire.

As Kite tries to drag Nova with him, Aiden follows (or runs ahead if Nova fights back). There is still some rubble within the wall of flames, if they want to try to hide in it.

With the fog in the way, no one can see the hulking shadow raise a hand over its head, and though you hear it, no one can see the lighting-like crackling lines of energy get drawn into its palm. There is a grunt followed by the hum of intense magical energy, and everyone sees a light passing through the fog.

The bolt, hurled directly at Nova's feet, explodes on impact, and everyone nearby is thrown to the ground (3 hearts for Nova, Kite, Aiden). Even those who weren't that far away get hit by the backlash (1.5 hearts for... A lot of people?) For those who were hit the hardest, after a moment of numbness, there's a brief and intense pins and needles feeling as the remaining energy courses through their limbs.

"Unexpected trick, yes, but it will do you no good." Ganon's thunderous footsteps can be heard moving closer, quickly.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:06 am 
Zarala follows Elruto in a bit of a daze. She can hardly comprehend what is going on - she was enveloped in this wonderful, energizing, serene sensation upon coming out of the temple, but all of a sudden there is heat and flame and evil and fear all around her. Crouched down within the bank of fog she feels horribly exposed - she cannot see beyond her fins but she suspects that no illusionary trick will stop Ganon locating her, or indeed any of them.

As the backlash from Ganon's blast hits her she flinches, doesn't stop to think what the implications of such a viscious attack might have been if everyone wasn't now blessed with a heart-shield, but stays crouched down, fear keeping her rooted to the spot but anger just beginning to well up within her gut like fire.

"...Elruto?" she asks in a croaky whisper, horrified at what she is about to say. "That... that magical shield... Didn't Jokarne say something about it reflecting magic, not just light? Do you think... do you think it would work against Ganon?". She stares at the ground while she speaks, not wanting to meet his gaze. What she has just said... she's effectively sending Elruto right into the core of the battle. But he will not be without support - she may not be able to fight much but she will go as well - do whatever she can to protect both him and Nova.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 am 
Location: Where the towels are oh so fluffeh and the air smells like warm root beer
The edge of the blast hits Elruto like a ton of bricks; with a panicked mid-air jerk of his body, he manages to narrowly avoid being thrown head-first into the fire. The last thing he needs is more burns.

He sits up in the sand, newly winded, and begins frantically brushing dirt off of his un-scaled skin; it stings terribly. Then Zarala whispers to him, "That... that magical shield... Didn't Jokarne say something about it reflecting magic, not just light?"

The prince stops picking at his former wounds immediately. His shoulders sag and his brow furrows. "Do you think... do you think it would work against Ganon?" His skin pales and his eyes go blank. Face that thing? Alone? As tired and drained as I am? I've no energy left of any sort...

Slowly, hesitantly, he unslings the shield form its place across his back. "... Do you really think I should?" His voice is hoarse, barely a whisper.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm 
Kite hits the sand and rolls a bit further, sliding to a stop a foot or two from Nova and Aiden. He groans as the the intense tingling courses through his whole body. It seemed the colorful mist was a dazzling failure. "Nova..." he whispers "I'm gonna try something else. Try to roll with it." He staggers unsteadily to his feet. These heart shields are amazing. He thinks vaguely That blast might nearly have killed me if I didn't have it. I love this thing.

He hums that same dissonant, yet upbeat tune and breathes deeply. He grips Novas hand briefly, using her arm a little like a focus. With the speed of practiced hands he yanks a strand of hair from his ponytail and ties it around her wrist. There are suddenly five...six...no, eight people surrounding them in the mist. With a quick cutting gesture of his hand, Kite dispels the mist. It doesn't so much as blow away as melt into nothing. Standing around Aiden, Nova, and Kite are eight illusions of Nova. Each one looks very convincing, sporting their own illusionary ascendant's swords, Triad pieces, and matching looks of rage all directed at Ganon.

"They...will follow...your mental commands." Kite says in a voice made choppy by concentration and mental strain. In tying the strand of hair to her wrist he has split the weight of making the illusions in two. His job is to now sustain them and make them as convincing as possible. Nova is now responsible for commanding their actions. He didn't expect this to work, but, like before, he prayed that this might open up some kind of opportunity.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm 
Eleison wrote:
"Do you think... do you think it would work against Ganon? ... Do you really think I should?" His voice is hoarse, barely a whisper.

"I don't know. I... I think so. I mean, it's a ledgendary item - just like the Ascendants Sword and the Hammer that we never found. Surely if anything is going to work against Ganon - and at the moment Nova's sword isn't going to - then it's going to be this shield" Zarala starts off stuttering, gaze still fixed determinedly at the ground. In the heat of the flames her cheeks are reddened, her scales dry. She's running out of energy and trying desperately to hold herself together, for the sake of her friends as much as herself. She lifts her face and looks directly at Elruto, her eyes now steely and determined. Placing one hand on his armfin she continues; "But don't worry - I will help with whatever reserves I have left. It may not be enough to destroy Ganon - I don't think we're capable of that right now - but it may be enough to hold him back just long enough. We have to try... we can't just hide here and do nothing while he attacks the one person who actually stands a chance at destroying this evil!"

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 pm 
Elruto nods, assured slightly by Zarala's encouragement. But the mist dissipates from around him with unnerving rapidness, and he suddenly finds himself with the Mirror Shield halfway over his head and completely exposed. He freezes for a moment like a rabbit in oncoming traffic, then quickly lowers the shield, fits it over his arm, and tries to look as small and unnoticeable as possible. It is as if he is both trying to hide behind the shield and trying to hide it behind him.

He is also, in a secondary sort of way, surprised to see nine Novas standing near the center of the ring. Having seen Kite duplicate himself many times over the course of the day, and seeing him standing beside one of the Novas looking strained, it is not a completely unexpected circumstance. He just hopes they will be enough to distract Ganon from him.

"Not yet," he whispers.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:59 am 
AOL: Maxusspooky
Brittok and Tiran's light mood quickly disappears when they are facing Ganon after the winning battle. Tiran looks at Brittok and shakes his head as if he was groaning at the fact that they have to enter battle so soon. Brittok decides to wait a bit, allowing the others to do their plans first, and tells Tiran in a low tone in a monster language: "Considering the fact we haven't done very much in the last battle, I think we should wait and let the kids do what they can do, then we try to drive off Ganon with a few full powered moves. Hes expecting everyone to have low reserves of magic and I think I can surprise Ganon. You up for it?

Tiran looks at Brittok and gives a slight nod. They pause and watches to see what happens with the Novas... Brittok begins drawing energy from the ground beneath him without being obvious. Tiran moves around as if he was trying to run away and begins to eye for an opportunistic opening after the Novas' sequence. He will throw his axe with his might, hopefully enough to knock back Ganon a lil bit for Brittok to throw a supercharged Great Sword, and the path of the Great Sword would swell up a wave of sand, using the energy from the ground into the Great Sword. As a result of this, the energy in the sword will pull (attract) the sands into a small but strong tsunami style wave toward Ganon. This should create damage to Ganon unexpectedly.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:22 pm 
(OOC: I'm trying to settle on a final design for how this incarnation of Ganon looks. He's a bit different from that old picture I posted originally.)

Just before the mist clears everyone hears a loud whoosh immediately followed by a couple of screams. As the mist clears, everyone can see two Gerudo soldiers lying in the sand, and everyone can see Ganon, trudging closer, small bursts of sand erupting with each massive hooffall.

For those new to the party, he is a disturbing sight. His face is like that of a horrific boar, but with some odd, disturbingly human features. A shock of red hair starts at the back of his head and runs down his back, and he has giant, ram-like horns with sharp points. His figure is massive and grotesque, with forearm muscles the size of Tiran. And they are, literally, the size of Tiran. If he were to stand up straight he might be over 20 feet tall. He wears a golden chestplate and a crimson cape, and there's a human skull on a chain around his neck.
It's odd... if one could somehow get past the horrific visage and the fierce aura of fear and evil, he would actually seem a bit silly looking...

He walks straight towards the crowd of Novas, all the time staring directly at the real Nova. They can see clearly now, lines of energy that look like lightning gathering in his left palm. Then he suddenly raises his right arm, and as he swings his arm blue flames spread from the hand to reveal - or manifest- his trident.
In that split second, Aiden, without even thinking, runs to stand in front of Nova, but it's a useless gesture. The trident lands with a thunderous crash, and Nova, Aiden, and anyone else foolish enough to get in the way, are in pain. Heart shields thankfully prevent what would have been literally a crushing blow, but they are exhausted now, and anyone who got hit is probably thankful for the numbness from head trauma.

Tiran's axe hits Ganon in the arm, and the force of the attack actually seems to affect him slightly, but there is clearly no wound. The axe goes spinning off at an odd angle and lands in the sand. Brittok's attack has similar consequences, and the sand wave does not appear to affect him at all. Through the sand, he fires off the energy held in his left hand. Brittok may try to dodge the bolt itself, but he nor Tiran can escape the blast in time, and they are both knocked to the ground. (May edit this for interesting fireworks if Elruto decides to jump in front of the bolt or something)
Spiraling out from the blast is a flock of bright red bats, and a column of fire springs up from the ground wherever they fly. They spread out... there's one for everyone.

Still looking down at Nova, his voice dripping with smug contempt, he says "Any last words?"

(OOC: Heavy drums, brass section blaring Ganon's theme.
In case it wasn't clear, when I said "but they are exhausted now", the they is the heart shields, as that attack did more damage than your maximum.)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:45 am 
"Nova! Aiden!" Kite cries as the trident come crashing down onto them, knocking to the ground once more. The earth shakes under his feet from the impact and it doesn't look like they're getting back up. Even the doctor, who would normally be the one to fix that kind of injury, is down and Kite can only think of one way to help.

The Nova clones are gone in a collective whoosh of purple fire. They had just been another waste of magic, just like the stupid mist. He dashes over with startling swiftness to his two fallen friends. Falling quickly to his knees beside them he sets to work. He grabs Nova's wrist he has tied his hair to closer to himself and tugs a new hair to tie to Aiden's wrist. He then brings his own wrist up to his mouth and bites down hard. Crimson blood flows freely from the wound, dripping onto the sand. He brings his fingers to the cut, soaking them with blood then bringing them down onto Nova and tracing the swirling runes he had used to fix her ribs like a frantic child with grizzly finger paints. He paints the marks on her head, down her neck and, with a muttered apology, under her shirt. The runes crisscross across her chest and stomach, on her shoulders and ribs. Then he turns to Aiden and repeats the process, tracing more bloody runes onto his body.

After this is complete he grabs hold of both of their wrists and clenches his eyes shut. He mumbles some sort of chanting and they will both feel energy, raw and unfocused pour into them from his grasp. As it flows it hits the runes and becomes focused into healing their bodies of the injuries Ganon inflicted. Cuts, bruises, burns, concussions all fade as the energy transfer recharges their batteries. As their heads clear it becomes apparent that Kite isn't chanting, but singing the lyrics to the song he hums while spell casting. His voice resonates strangely, causing a greater depth of sound variety. The whole process is over quickly. Aiden, being educated in such things, would identify what had just happened as ancient, primitive magic.

Kite releases their wrists once he has given all he can give. He keeps himself upright in his sitting position by propping himself on shaking arms. His breathing is ragged and uneven, but aside from the wrist wound and being exhausted he seems fine. The life magic from the heart shield had helped. He would certainly not have been able to heal two people at once without draining it first.

"S-sorry." Is all he can say between gasps. He indicates the blood all over them, but does not get up from his sitting position.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:56 am 
(OOC: Kite's shield is drained, and he's exhausted. Nova's and Aiden's heads are cleared, and the pain is significantly reduced, though there's still a lot of aches and bruising here and there. Their heart shields are up to 1/4 each, which essentially means you can take another clearly fatal blow without dying)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
OOC - You get caught up in job hunting and look what happens... If this can't be done, I'll edit it, but I'm not expecting it to work in either case, so talk to me if you need things changed Krail. Otherwise decide the outcome and how well it works or fails when you post.

Nova is blasted off her feet by the electric attack and her head rings, leaving her useless against the following trident attack. It's only Kite's healing prowess that gets her out of her stupor and allows her to assess the situation.

Her friends are down...

There is no way of escaping...

Ganon saw right through her bluff of the sword, it only regained the power it lost...

Kite's illusions we're useless...

Nova stands and glares up at Ganon. It's strange... she's not scared at all. In fact she's strangely calm... probably due to the warm glow of the Triad spreading it's courage through her body. There is one thing she knows, one thing she will not allow Ganon to do - Nobody else is going to die for her.

She plucks a paralyzed and trembling Sophy from her hair and places the fairy on Kite's shoulder. "...take care of her." She shoots Kite one last smile and begins walking towards Ganon, the faces of all her friends who would die to see her live playing through her mind. Well no more. They would survive this... if she couldn't downright kill Ganon then maybe she could hurt him badly enough to dispel the fire barrier and let them run.

At it's current level her Ascendant's Sword isn't strong enough...

Her Rose Storm isn't even strong enough, it didn't even work right last time...

But together?

She looks up at Ganon again, "Just two."

She grips her sword in her right hand, having no idea if what she's about to try will work. She wants to count on the swords ability to channel her energy into cutting waves. She rips the makeshift wrapping on her right arm off and the vines are already piercing her skin, causing blood to flow down her arm and onto the blade. If this works... just maybe she can take Ganon down with her. If not? It'll probably kill her and maybe even then the energy can still take him down, or at least injure him enough for everyone else to get away.

As the rose petals start to fall she rushes Ganon, trying to dodge that massive trident as best as she can. Trying to evade the flaming bat headed for her. She dives for between his legs, trying to confuse him and avoid getting stepped on; the vines of her curse wrapping about the hilt of her blade to keep it from being torn away. Her triad glows; her curse begins to peak... no matter what damage she takes, no matter how hard Ganon hits her, Nova will unleash her energy she prays will be channeled through her blade without destroying it or her arm... least until it's fired.

She ignores the pain.

She ignores the injuries.

Her target is Ganon.

Her goal the survival of her friends.

The cost is her life.

She swings her blade in an arch and lets her energy fly.

The petals flowing around her make her picture a wilting and dying rose, it's final act one of sheer beauty.

"WITHERING THORN!!"

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG