Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:43 am 

Hiya folks,

We're still not finished overhauling everything, but since we *are* done with the forums, we figured we should open these up to you now. Unfortunately, we weren't able to save any of the following:

1. Message threads
2. Private Messages
3. Post Counts (ok, that one was intentional)
4. Custom Ranks

(We're working on having the forum archives available to you within a few days)

Other than that, we think we've retained everything, but if you notice any weirdness, please let us know in the Suggestions and Comments forum. I've placed a copy of this announcement there, so that you can reply to this.

The good news is, we finally rolled out the site design we'd placed on the back burner some time ago, and also got the forums configured exactly the way we wanted them. We're not finished with the Sluggy theme on the forums - over the next few days you'll see some images changing, maybe a color tweak here or there.

Before you post about a particular issue, please take the time to read this announcement. It just may answer your question/request before you ask it ;)

Last edited by Thyla on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:53 am 
AOL: Anaea+the+Blue
*Looks around* It's nice guys!

And you did this amazingly quickly, I was expecting disasters and such.

Does having the forum archives available mean there will be a copy of what the forums were just before the overhaul floating around, or that the threads and such will be appearing in this version?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:54 am 

A copy of what the forums were just before the overhaul. They'll be locked, but visible.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:14 am 
I thought Sluggites were the ladies?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:18 am 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
That's 'slugettes' you're thinking of.

And I like the new colour scheme.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:00 am 
Just a quick question -- on my screen, only about 1/2 of the screen is actually used by ... well, anything :) There's 1/4 blank space on the left, and 1/4 blank space on the right. That makes all the pages noticeably longer than they need to be. Is that a setting I can change on my end, or is it just "how it is" from this point on?

--Tom

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:21 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: CougRon
AOL: CougRon
Tom Ricket wrote:
Just a quick question -- on my screen, only about 1/2 of the screen is actually used by ... well, anything :) There's 1/4 blank space on the left, and 1/4 blank space on the right. That makes all the pages noticeably longer than they need to be. Is that a setting I can change on my end, or is it just "how it is" from this point on?

--Tom

I'd say it's the table taking up the whole page with a max width of 737 pixels causing that. Easy enough for the Sluggy.net guru's to remove, but it might cause unintended effects if they've been designing everything for a paltry 800 pixel width. Some things might not look good stretched out. Maybe splitting up the table would help that some. The board theme seems to be just a color and icon tweaked version of subsilver and IIRC that was designed to stretch out for larger monitors with little problem. Just the header and footer sections of the site may be a problem.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:27 am 

I'll be releasing a stretchy version of this theme in a few days :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:51 am 
Ronald Kinion wrote:
I'd say it's the table taking up the whole page with a max width of 737 pixels causing that. Easy enough for the Sluggy.net guru's to remove, but it might cause unintended effects if they've been designing everything for a paltry 800 pixel width. Some things might not look good stretched out. Maybe splitting up the table would help that some. The board theme seems to be just a color and icon tweaked version of subsilver and IIRC that was designed to stretch out for larger monitors with little problem. Just the header and footer sections of the site may be a problem.

I've find the text easier to read in the narrower tables; it's easier to drop down to the next line while reading quickly.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:31 am 
AOL: mechamancer9
Location: Mechamancer is safe to use around children and small animals
I don't like the ads. But I exspect that they are necessary.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:43 am 
AOL: captplati
Location: To have the right to do something is not the same as being right in doing it
Ok, I may be the only one...but I like the new structure and size of the collumns. Easier to display and read, if you ask me.

Thyla, you guys are the best! I also thought we would be sluggy-lost for a while. Great job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:51 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Ah, so that's why I'm no longer wearing women's underwear. And here I thought it was just my early Kwanzaa gift from Thyla. Well, it's about time. They were really starting to smell.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:55 am 
AOL: JakRhee
Thyla wrote:
3. Post Counts (ok, that one was intentional)

So you finally give me achance to catch up with everyone.. and you do it during Finals week? You're a tease Thyla!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:02 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: jeffreycham
AOL: aslomnackle
Location: Ruling over WGARSia with an Iron Fist. Okay, more of a squishy fist, but still...
I miss my title.

Sure, it was just 'Beta Tester of DOOM', but it spoke volumes. I said that I supported the comic. It said that I was active enough to test (even though I sometimes wasn't). It said that I was willing to pay money for a title...

I just got a great idea :kiki:

I've got just one question: will there be a smartdark theme again? I used it, and came to love it. This sandstone-ish color scheme, while pleasant, just doesn't have that 'Sluggy.net' connotation for me...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:49 pm 
Location: Obscurity. No, not Relative Obscurity, you've passed it a few miles back.
Thyla wrote:
I'll be releasing a stretchy version of this theme in a few days :)

Ah, good to know. The column-y aspect of the forums is starting to give me vertigo...

Great job on the forums, by the way! Let all Sluggites renounce and cheer and give vartinis and whatnot! Hey, I will...

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments