Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:34 am 
AOL: GeminiGodAlias
Just a simple one. The Avatars? Since the issue is that people are abusing the upload system, why not just disable the uploads and allow people to link their avatars from a seperate site? I have a dump server that I keep a bunch of photos that I link into forums from time to time, so why can't I link to my avatar from here to there? No uploads, no harm done.

Just...you know...wondering.

Also, I didn't read throught all 5 Bajillion threads, so if somebody covered this in the one thread I didn't read...DON'T HURT ME. Except...you know...if it's all...sensual and stuff.

Ew.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:07 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: CougRon
AOL: CougRon
Are you kidding? If anything that's much worse. There'd be no end to the possibilities for maliciousness. You'd still have the potential problem of people linking to offensive imagery, but then you'd have additional complications such as no size restrictions (how about a 1000x1000px avatar 10mb in size?)

I think a better idea would be to turn on the Avatar Gallery feature and have the moderators put in place their own sluggy related avatars. Maybe there could be a contest where people could make avatars to be included. the only drawback would be that more then one person would have the same avatar, but I'm willing to live with it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 am 
Yahoo Messenger: jeffreycham
AOL: aslomnackle
Location: Ruling over WGARSia with an Iron Fist. Okay, more of a squishy fist, but still...
Actually, the only feasible way I can think of for avatars to work would be if a moderator had to approve each and every one before it could be used.

The above idea *might* work, but it wouldn't be as popular.

Of course, my idea would mean all the mods would have to do a lot more work, and they're overburdened as it is.

I think not having avs stinks, but it's worth it. It simplifies things, and keeps short posts taking up the minimum amount of space.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:22 am 
AOL: sugarraygross
To solve Bobs problem would simply be to have a special avatar mod whos sole job is to approve avatars. Also, would it be so hard? It's either yes or no...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:06 pm 
Location: Ruling over WGARSia with an Iron Fist. Okay, more of a squishy fist, but still...
*Looks at the current number of members*

7,000 'yes or nos'. With each 'no' wanting to resubmit another, and wondering why they got a 'no'.

Plus, you've seen how often some people change(d) avs. It would be a full-time job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm 
First off, we only have a few hundred active at a time. Also, it would be tough at first with all the backlogg, but after you slog through it then it will be lighter. Also, its their SOLE JOB. If they spend two hours a day, for a week or two, they are caught up. After that it should be smooth sailing.

You could also get someone who is off for the summer and has no other obligations like a job to deal with the backlog now...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:59 pm 
Why not simply turn off the ability to upload avatars for offending posters?

So if you upload an offensive avatar and you get spotted, the moderator deletes the avatar and sends you a warning.

For repeat offenders the ability to upload avatars is switched of.

Anyone else is unaffected.

Should be no more complicated to do then what is done with offending texts.

I just don't know if a poster dependent avatar upload privilege is supported by the software.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:43 pm 
The trouble is, the person would then create a new account and upload another similar image. These aren't people who want to enjoy the community, they're people looking for free storage for their illegal/offensive material.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:19 pm 
I have a funny feeling that Wile E can block an IP and therefore all multi account. No?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:23 pm 
That's what I was going to say. Why not just block that single person, instead of punishing everyone? Honestly, I can't even remember ever seeing a bad avatar, and I'm on the forums quite a bit. Maybe one or two that were a tad risque (like that walking fox one), but nothing serious.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:41 pm 
AOL: AxelFendersson
kaclickpoing wrote:
I have a funny feeling that Wile E can block an IP and therefore all multi account. No?

Only if the person in question has a static IP address. Dynamic IP addresses (where a person gets a new IP every time they connect to the 'net) are fairly common these days.

I may well be completely wrong, but I get the impression that what happened was some dodgy material got uploaded to the fan-art section. Then when Sluggy's ISP got wind of it they flipped out and demanded that steps be taken to ensure that absolutely no unsuitable material should ever be uploaded to Sluggy.net, be it avatar, fan-art, or whatever.

Suddenly the old system (on the very rare occasion that someone's avatar was inappropriate, a mod would soon spot it and ask them to remove it) isn't quite watertight enough.

Personally, I must admit that I can't see any way to completely guarantee that no inappropriate content can ever be accessible that isn't hopelessly impractical. I just don't see any way of completely guaranteeing that every upload is appropriate without having someone personally inspect them all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
AOL: marauderpilot
What about just killing the FA section and telling everybody to stick it on DeviantArt or something?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:59 pm 
That's probably the most realistic thing I see happening. It'd be a shame, though. There is/was(?) some neat stuff in FA.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:54 am 
AOL: GeminiGodAlias
Okay, clearly my idea was misunderstood. It is, if I recall correctly, not impossible to have the avatars only ALLOW links to files at a maximum resolution, i.e., 100x100px. This avoids the file size issue entirely, allowing individuals the ability to have incredibly intricate animations if they would like, at maximum dimensions of 100x100px.

People that attempt to link inappropriate images would have their avatar privs revoked.

I had understood that the entire ISSUE here was that people were using the Sluggy server to upload and store malicious and/or inappropriate images and other various files. This works around that completely. Of course people would still be able to post images directly to their avatars that are "bad", but they can already link such files into posts if they want to, so this would merely be an extension of that same principle. Of course, linking a "bad" image would already get you in trouble, the same would be true with avatars. The mods troll the various threads on a regular basis, no reason that they can't quickly scroll through the recent threads to browse for "bad" avatars, and revoke avatar privs for those with bad.

The majority of us here, I would imagine, do NOT want to cause harm to or otherwise upset the forums in any way, and it is a small percentage that is taking advantage of Sluggy.net for their own personal gain.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:41 pm 
Are you saying that I have to click a link everytime I want to see someones avatar? If so that defeats half of their purpose.

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments