Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post subject: Help for the scixelsyd
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:53 am 
AOL: Anaea+the+Blue
This was mentioned in S&C on the old boards a couple times, and I figure, "Hey, they're overworked and doing a fantastic job already, one more little thing can't hurt," so I'm going to beg the powers that be for a spell checker, if that's humanly, or even perhaps divinely possible. Some of us would like to avoid embarrassing mistakes that could offend the appropriately sensitive grammar Nazis on the boards, and find copy text over to where they can check it about three times as complicated as it would be if the boards would do this for them. And by some of us, I mean me, and perhaps those who've gone so far as to be titled based on their mistakes.

To summarize-Anaea no can spell, Anaea beg for spell checker please.

I might be willing to slip some vodka towards my savior if that would help.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:25 am 

Hm, it's tempting, but right now phpBB doesn't come with spell checker (it's included in their upcoming release) and once you add custom modifications to phpBB, upgrades become a pain in the butt. Any other software, I'd say to heck with it, we'll forego small feature upgrades for a bit, but phpBB has been releasing critical security upgrades only for a while, so they're kinda required...

So, the bad news is, no spell check right away, but the good news is, when phpbb 2.2 comes out, you'll have it :)

-Thyla
Who Has Been Waiting For 2.2 For Two Years

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:49 am 
Moist Happy of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: crossroads_inc42
AOL: Eric+Fischer
Just do what I started a few months ago! Write your whole post out in a Word Program like MS or Mac. Then spellcheck, and copy and paste it into a post. Of course your not guaranteed catching all mistakes, only ones thast are spelt 'wrong' ((Stupid 'Moist' not being caught by stupid Spell-check))

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:11 pm 
Thyla wrote:
but the good news is, when phpbb 2.2 comes out, you'll have it :)

*Dances*

I've tend to put my longer, serious type posts through a spell checker elsewhere, but for short posts, it rarely seems worth it. If anybody pays attention, it's always most obvious that I can't spell in the Intros forums.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:42 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: valkyrie_sammich
AOL: Sexy+Idolatry
Bleh. I so don't want spell checker. Typos are hilarious.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:43 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Besides, you can always do what I do with really insanely long posts that require a spellchecker.

Write it all in Word (or word processing program with spellchecker of choice), then copy/paste.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:58 pm 
AOL: alkthash
Just interjecting some logic, deslxics usually mix up words beyond recognition correct? Spellcheckers usually use three things to check a word, it's first letter, it's last letter, and the number of letter's total. So if they mess it up by misarranging the words a common spellchecker won't work. Okay joke lagic aside I really don't like spell checkers, why you ask? Because I don't like seeing words that aren't part of it's language program underlined. I also think that spell checkers are unneeded because we have the edit feature, which allows us to correct mistakes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:18 am 
If, and only if, we catch the mistakes. Generally by the time I catch them, it's too late, damage is done. And I would think that you would have the option of turning off the spell checker. Plus, even if the spell checker can't tell me how to spell the word correctly, it can alert me to the fact that it is misspelled and give me a chance to keep guessing until I get it right. Gaim in Linux has a built in spell checker and I love it. In fact, it's improved my spelling since it pointed out mistakes I 'd been making for years, but which word had been autocorrecting for me and never letting me know I was making them. (Belief, and original being two major examples.)

Besides, isn't it worth it just to ruin Kullervo's fun?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:33 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Just do what I started a few months ago! Write your whole post out in a Word Program like MS or Mac. Then spellcheck, and copy and paste it into a post. Of course your not guaranteed catching all mistakes, only ones thast are spelt 'wrong' ((Stupid 'Moist' not being caught by stupid Spell-check))

Thast a good idea. :torg:

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments