Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post subject: Re: Board Upgrade
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:17 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: kirby1024
rit wrote:
What exactly is a dice roller supposed to do? If you give me a spec, I'll look at putting one together. I have to learn the APIs anyway for defender integration.

Basic specifications of a good, simple die roller:

1) Generates random numbers. User specifies number range
2) Provides option to "roll" multiple times in one action.
3) Provides option to either add rolls together or keep separate
4) Should post results.

Actually, it occurs to me that a die roller integrated into forums should be UBB code, really. Something like:

[roll="XdY+Z"]

where:

X = number of dice being rolled
Y = upper limit of each individual dice
Z = offset of dice roll (either plus or minus number to final result)

It would look something like the following when displayed:

8d6+4 rolled: 4, 3, 2, 5, 4, 6, 3, 4: 31+4 = 35

I can't think of anything else it desperately needs, honestly. That kind of display would allow people who want results separated and results added together both happy, and I don't see how including both forms would detract too badly from people's experiences...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
Can the mods have a tazer function to keep the pondlife masses in line? I mean, to keep the boards running smoothly.
:oasis:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:19 am 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
Sunbird,

We're working on a new plush bun bun stuffed with C4, and a remote detonator.

A new control panel option will allow, on the vote of at least 3 mods, a forum user to be detonated.

I'm waiting on proper approval from the FCC and the ATF for the wireless receiver and C4 respectively, but we should have this ready soon.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:42 am 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
I don't want to say "AARGH! It's so ugly!" I don't mean that.

I do miss having the user information on the left. I don't know why, it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it's harder on the eye. Maybe because having the information on the right tends to slew the information farther from the center of the screen...?

And I feel this way about it compared to other boards that have stuff on the left. Come to think of it, all the boards I am familiar with put user information on the left. There's probably plenty of others that have it on the right; does anyone know of any?

As for the blue/blue thing, I can see the difference, but something about the combination of the font, the layout, and the color scheme does make things look a little too monochromatic. I'm not asking for some kind of gigantic color clash, but could we go back to blue/white or something?

Part of the problem is that I can barely remember what the old style looks like without a reference.

Again, if you go to your user control panel > Preferences and choose subsilver as you board style, everything will look pretty much the same as before but you'll still have the neat new features like seeing who's online and a "report post" button. -WE

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Why do some users have "Most Active Forum" and "Most Active Topic" info listed in their profiles (most users) and others do not (myself and FreakyBoy among them)?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:46 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
A quick check confirms that there's a cut-off at 5000 posts; those with more don't have stats broken out, those with less do. It's probably an effort to save server resources; searching through all of our posts to get those stats would use too much processor time.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:53 am 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
I got very confused and thought I was on a different board, one that's identical to this one(now).

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 am 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
So it looks like BBCode is not working for everyone and I can see smilies but apparently others can't use them. This might be a permissions thing, there's lots of places to change permissions so before I go mucking things up I'll ask rit to look at it first.

RIT! Could you look into BBCode and smilies for everyone? Thank you. :zoe:

Okay, rit says I have to dig around. *pout*
I really think it's a permissions thing, but I'm not sure if it's by forum or user. I don't want to randomly push buttons so let me know if it is working or not in some forums or working for some users (works for me) and not others. So I have an idea which permissions are the problem.

EDIT: Okay, it seems like some of the forums that had some restrictions (like Reactions where you can't start topics) had the BBCode and Smilies turned off. I had to manually check each forums permissions for registered users and I think I got everything set now. I went into some of the existing posts in reactions where the Quote tag wasn't working and unchecked the disable bbcode/disable smilies boxes. Please let me know if something still isn't working.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
Smilies and bbcode are no fun if EVERYONE gets to use them...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:55 am 
Earlier, I could not use BBCode in this topic.

Now I can.

And smilies :kiki:

So I'd like to say thanks!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Just wanted to heap praise upon the mods for updating phpBB. Yay, security!

And the new skin doesn't really bother me. I've been using it for a while now on my family web server, and it grows on you.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:50 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
Request: I need someone not currently a member of the POOP usergroup to see if they can request to join the group. I fixed the link but I want to see if everything else is working the same. You don't have to post there if you don't want.

Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:31 pm 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
I've noticed a problem.

When I try to type quotation marks (not BBCode quotes, but actual quotation marks), it's using them as a sign that I want to produce a letter with some kind of accent. Thus, [single quote]c becomes ç, and [double quote]A becomes Ä.

I am an English speaker who hardly ever needs to use accented letters, and I miss my quotation marks. Is there anything I can do to tell the system that I want to type in the English-style Latin alphabet, which contains no umlauts or accent marks on any of the letters?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
Wile E wrote:
I love the new features, there's a lot of great stuff available now and all most of you have done is gripe about the colors and avatar location.

That's because we were taken completely unaware by it, and the default skin is radically different from the old skin, causing a double jar of "big change" and "unexpected change". You just can't do that to people and expect them to be nice and polite about it at first. It's not how humanity is wired.

Interesting... Because usually I'm just like that. Change -- nooooooo! But I actually like this look. Am I really that weird? I suppose if pressed I'd prefer to see the info & avatars back on the left instead of the right, but that's pretty minor. Overall *I* like it.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:03 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
Wile E wrote:
...there's a lot of great stuff available now and all most of you have done is gripe about the colors and avatar location.

To be fair, the most significant improvements from PhpBB2 to 3 are in the Mod/Admin tools (which rock hard), so most people won't see them.

On the avatar placement, when Soton Gamesoc migrated to PhpBB3 a few months ago, we all grumbled about having avatars and such over on the right. It seemed all horrible and back-to-front and not right at all. For about a month. Then we got used to it, and realised that it didn't actually make much difference.

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments