AOL: marauderpilot
SubSilver puts it right again.

Post subject: Re: Board Upgrade
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 pm 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
Krail wrote:
Will we be able to change the skins in our profiles?
Personally I don't this this new look is as readable as the old look. Posts sorta blend into each other and into the background. A simple change of colors might help.

Yes, the "classic" skin is in there somewhere.

However, if the posts are blending, most likely the contrast on your monitor is off. The backgrounds rotate b/w two pretty distinct colors.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:28 pm 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
Surgoshan wrote:
Marauder_Pilot wrote:
I'm the 5th highest poster.

>.>

I need a life. But not as much as Skitz, Were, Freaky and Kea.

As the 6th highest poster I call you a pansy and hope you drop out because I covet the number one spot. mwa ha ha and all that. ;)

How about you all ignore the post #s until we disable them, lest I be forced to wield my almight ban stick.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 pm 
AOL: SimonJester1v1
Location: Look at me still talking when there's Science to do!
I'm going to agree that the new look leaves a bit to be desired. Didn't we used to have posts in alternating colors that were easy to tell apart? Now it looks like we've got two identical shades of blue... Yeah, not perfectly distinguishable, but would it be possible to go for a lighter light blue or a white to contrast more with the darker blue?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:33 pm 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
vampirebunbun wrote:
I'd like to see the avatars and poster info back on the left. A dice roller would also be cool.

Everyone thank vampirebunbun. From now on Avatars, etc will always be on the right.

And the dice roller will only have 1 and a half sides.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:36 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Wile E wrote:
We may still have to tweak some settings so if there's something you can't do just post it here. Unless you can't post at all then I guess you'll have to email us.

Looks to me like this is the only forum thread with BBCodes turned off. I checked in SRC, and all the codes were turned on. Odd, though, that other people have been able to post normal quotes. Maybe the board doesn't like me. :-( *snif*

BTW, I used the "quote" button on Wile E's post to reply to it this time, something I never do. Normally, I hand build all the quotes I use. Something went wrong the first time I tried the quote button (double posted, I think), and I've never used it since.

--tll

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 pm 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
Simon_Jester wrote:
I'm going to agree that the new look leaves a bit to be desired. Didn't we used to have posts in alternating colors that were easy to tell apart? Now it looks like we've got two identical shades of blue... Yeah, not perfectly distinguishable, but would it be possible to go for a lighter light blue or a white to contrast more with the darker blue?

Not that I remember but the new style does have two alternating colors and the quotes are in yet another color.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I have seen other boards with this "upgrade" and I have to say that I still hate it.

The posts tend to blend together. There should be more colors to contrast between the separate posts, not the 3 billion shades of one color...

...primarily having the avatars on the right makes the blending happen...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:24 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
rit wrote:
Surgoshan wrote:
Marauder_Pilot wrote:
I'm the 5th highest poster.

>.>

I need a life. But not as much as Skitz, Were, Freaky and Kea.

As the 6th highest poster I call you a pansy and hope you drop out because I covet the number one spot. mwa ha ha and all that. ;)

How about you all ignore the post #s until we disable them, lest I be forced to wield my almight ban stick.

I now post the exact opposite of caring about post count. Should I post a picture of a kitten?

Sorry. Show me a post count and I can't help but be a jerk about it. It won't happen again.

It'd help if you managed to hack the boards to no longer display post counts, though.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:35 am 
Ooo, snazzeh. 'specially the category select thing, where it highlights what your mouse is over. And how it tells you who is online. That's really cool. I dig it.

But the alternating grey-blue to blue-grey thing isn't enough. The post colors should be more distinct. They also need to not clash hideously with the quoted-text color. (that is the ugliest excuse for yellow I've ever seen by the way. I mean, my GOD man)

And, I know it's the new "thing" with the PHPBB 3.0 or whatever upgrade to default Screen Name identification to the right, but I'm really not a fan of that. To me, it's more important to first see who's talking, *then* read what's being said. It's a community thing. If you guys are really, really into not having the screen names be on the left, then put them on top of the post, like the joblo movie forums do. But no to the right. We'll never see 'em.

[EDIT]..also, I find it kinda frightening that there's a 'delete post' button sitting *right next* to the edit button.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:47 am 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
The new board hasn't even been in effect for 24 hours, it may take some time to change some things and work out the kinks. If you don't like something could you try phrasing it nicer than "god, that's ugly!", "this blows monkey chunks!". How about trying a "May we please change this?" instead? We were long overdue for a board upgrade and there is no going back. I love the new features, there's a lot of great stuff available now and all most of you have done is gripe about the colors and avatar location.

There was a lot of work put into this change and it will create a lot more work in the days to come for the admins and moderators while we work out all the kinks, so please if there is something you'd like changed, post about it nicely with your nice reasons or I will have to nicely kick your butts.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:15 am 
AOL: x86EliGottlieb
Please make it default to the "subsilver" board style. Metallic blue doesn't really go well on things that aren't Transformers toys.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Wile E wrote:
I love the new features, there's a lot of great stuff available now and all most of you have done is gripe about the colors and avatar location.

That's because we were taken completely unaware by it, and the default skin is radically different from the old skin, causing a double jar of "big change" and "unexpected change". You just can't do that to people and expect them to be nice and polite about it at first. It's not how humanity is wired.

In a few days things will die down and we'll be able to be at the stage of "it'd be nice if you ...", but for now you've got to expect some shock and dismay. That's what happens when you stage a revolution.

I'm going to go edit my first post to add a note about changing skins; that might help with some of the confusion and repeat comments.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:32 am 
WLM: [email protected]
On second view I'm liking it less now. It was bearable for the quick bit I was on when I made my earlier post. Being on long enough to read the rest of this thread made my eyes hurt and gave me a headache.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:58 am 
Nice. Really, really nice.

I'm neutral on most of the changes. Post counts can be ignored. But I like my avatar being back. And I like a lot of things about phpBB 3 (incidentally, I've seen some of the version 3 admin tools on another forum, and I don't think there's any reasonable chance that any of the moderators or admins are even going to think about reverting to the previous version).

There's only one minor point where I think a change is really necessary... the banner at the top should link to the main comic site again. But I can live with typing in the address until its fixed.

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments