Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:55 pm 
Jackalope wrote:

This is a pretty nifty theory, but not because there's anything wrong with the DFA or because it gets left behind. They already allowed all the specs regarding the DFA to be uploaded and observed through the "animesh" (Is there an official name for it yet?) network. If those "cupidines" are as highly intelligent as they seem, they can duplicate the design. The most recent storylines with 4U City and Hereti-Corp have ended around similar threads.

Wow, true...Are all sparks in all dimensions doomed to end with rampant use of DFAs poking so many holes in their realities?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 am 
It's a strong possibility here, for sure. It certainly won't hurt their chances of getting home, but it's gonna pose some serious problems before they get to that point.

Jackalope makes another good observation, indirectly: this blue moon could be a Mohkadun pyramid of the gods staring us in the face the whole time. After all, I think one of the ideas behind that storyline was to suggest that the earthly gods normally don't go into hiding during a spark's duration, and the DoN's current spark is an exception. Granted, the DoP was the only example we've seen with a different enough ancient history that gods were completely different, but it tracks.

But if so, then the question remains: why haven't they intervened? Or...did they intervene to cause this fiasco after getting bored? Hmm. That would certainly be validation for Torg, that it took a literal act of god to bring down this civilization.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:43 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Well the looks like they now have plain anima. I am going to guess that what type of anima you have is determined by where you are in society.

The "basic" one means that you are at the bottom rung. The government, or whatever oversees the society now, will give you a fancier one as you move up the ladder. Your anima denotes your role or worth.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:20 am 
Maybe it's some sort of injury induced Hobbiton related (you've been into farmer Maggot's crops) dream. But Torg is on crutches, so maybe not.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:46 am 
Hey, their animad are all round - like the anima ghost moon!!!

It's a longshot.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm 
My guess:

1. The two god-like anima hoarders stopped them from leaving. (It would be the first time we didn't see them jump five thousand years into the future - a major surprise. It seems like just the kind of thing Pete would finish a story with.) The gang has instead been moved to the more peaceful part of the world. The floating city.

2. The anima-hoarding gods cut everyone's anima down to size, to prevent jealousy and the wish to restyle animas.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:41 am 
I'm leaning toward Silverwalker's #1, for no reason I can justify besides it raises too many questions if this is a low tech future society and they weren't bothered by Cupidine showing up (or they were but it somehow wasn't important enough to lead with). Plus the fact that two superbeings were headed toward them instead of just one made me curious to find out more about them, and it would be a shame if that mystery got left behind.

Either way, I'm glad we're finally going to find out more about Zoe's anima now. And I guess everything else, since the subchapter title gives away this is the conclusion :P

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:15 am 
My theory: "The Blue Moon" (yes, that Moon that was seen in the beginning of Anima arc) ate final hyper-psychic Anima cloud/sphere holder, and then seeded the place to start anew, waiting to eat again. Saying about ripe-unripe fruits is symbolism.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:09 pm 
VcSaJen wrote:
My theory: "The Blue Moon" (yes, that Moon that was seen in the beginning of Anima arc) ate final hyper-psychic Anima cloud/sphere holder, and then seeded the place to start anew, waiting to eat again. Saying about ripe-unripe fruits is symbolism.

Oh.
Ooooohhhhhhhhhh.

Like, it was the first superpsychic to win a superpsychic war, then it went dormant, waited for the survivors to rebuild, woke up to eat the winners of the superpsychic wars, went dormant again, for who knows how many cycles?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:15 pm 
I think it's significant those new animas look just like Zoe's. I'm speculating that everyone else had their animas replaced with normal ones, but Zoe was able to retain hers, which may indicate she still retains her ability to distinguish between bedeviled anima or normal anima. It might be that there is a much greater social stratification in this new era, and things like bedeviled anima are bequeathed to the "leaders" or "enforcers" so that they may pass unrecognized within this society.

Perhaps cupidine was DFA'd past the "event horizon reset event" in this dimension, and she has reshaped society to serve her, as she is now the most powerful being in their existence. Perhaps the DFA would send the crew a few decades after she was for any number of reasons (time jumps are multiples of time passed, more people so the jump was greater, etc.)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm 
Regarding how everyone's anima look like smileys now:
My first thought last week was evolutionary pressure. Boring anima were less enticing to the Cupidines, and this those with boring anima were more likely to survive. Yet that would not explain why Torg (and presumably the others') anima are just smileys too.

However, thinking about it, I think evolutionary pressure or something similar could work as a driver. I've been reading a fair amount about quantum physics, and it struck me that perhaps there is some field that generates the way anima are manifested, and perhaps that field was generated by the anima that existed in concert with their sentient being. When the evolutionary pressure for boring anima meant more boring anima, inducing the field to foster uniform anima.

To put it another way:
Original ecosystem:
Varied anima are cool!
Cool anima attract mates
--> more cool, varied anima
--> create field that allows variations

Post anima=power discovery:
Cool anima/varied anima attract predators
These anima are removed from the field
The field becomes more uniform
New anima entering this more uniform field conform to the field.
I'm not sure if I explained it well, but these are my thoughts!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:50 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
New anima entering this more uniform field conform to the field.
I'm not sure if I explained it well, but these are my thoughts!
I dunno about evolution part*, but I had the same thought. Torg, Riff, Zoё, Kiki and crew don't take Animas with them: every time they use DFA, old animas are dissolved, and new Animas are formed at the place of destination.

*I think it's less evolution, and more like a brain that's increases in complexity in time; some catastrophic event was taken place, so complexity is gone due to brain reverting to a newborn state. For some reason that "brain" fails to access Zoё properly, and only displays default basic version. Newborn brain didn't learn how to do deep-access thing yet, so everyone have default basic version.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:23 am 
It would be amusing if Zoe's anima is this giant elaborate creature in this time period, heh

The scavenging for old tech almost definitely places this in the future. Probably. It's hard to tell what's going on since I'm not sure what was going on in the first place.

Instead I'm gonna speculate about the return trip. They haven't spoken much of it, but presumably there's nothing stopping them from going back to any point in time after they left (a la OldManRiff). My first thought is they'd want to go to a future point equal to the relative time they've experienced, since laying low was the original goal. On the other hand, they might not want to do that, since after all these wildly unpredictable time jumps plunging them into situations they can't possibly prepare for, arriving any more than a month or two later probably won't be very appealing to anybody.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:57 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Instead I'm gonna speculate about the return trip. They haven't spoken much of it, but presumably there's nothing stopping them from going back to any point in time after they left (a la OldManRiff). My first thought is they'd want to go to a future point equal to the relative time they've experienced, since laying low was the original goal. On the other hand, they might not want to do that, since after all these wildly unpredictable time jumps plunging them into situations they can't possibly prepare for, arriving any more than a month or two later probably won't be very appealing to anybody.

I agree that they will return to 8 time closer to the time they left. Otherwise they might as well be in another world. Plus, Aylee is still there!! And Bun bun (though he's in space) and others

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am 
AOL: LilimKaoru
So some random spec about why the DFA isn't working correctly in sending them home.

The world is filled with this psychic field, which is why the anima are visible. But, they're not just mental expressions of the field, they convey emotion. So, someone's emotional state obviously has some kind of effect on the psychic field. The psychic field is some kind of energy field as well, as the people were able to utilize the field in order to power machines/electronics.

Putting one and one together, you get an energy field that has an effect on technology that is influenced by the emotions of the people around it. And, every time the protagonists have DFAed themselves, they've been in extreme danger, probably worried/scared or the like.

So my spec is that the emotional state of the targets of the DFA affect where the DFA sends you. If they had just DFAed themselves after a month at the very beginning when they were in a neutral mental state, they would have returned home. They keep being sent to the future because they're in this fight or flight mentality, which is messing up the DFA's calibration.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat