Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:47 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Better than Raven for Arch-Prelate. This is a guy we're gonna have to fight at some joint.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady is about to have a thought, but it's not going to happen until after Ortzel say something. By then what Piper has said will have filtered in.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
And now I sit in suspense waiting for this thought.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:10 am 
Surprisingly, even the evil army at the gates has to wait for the dramatically appropriate moment. The attack on the walls will wait until the social combat with Ortzel is over, one way or the other.

Alstrom is a bit lost with all this talk of magic and the Seeker floating about. But as soon as he's assured that the plan is the best way to get Ortzel to Chyrellos, he'll throw his full support behind it, on the basis that you lot seem to know what you're talking about.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
What Zalasbra made was basically a knock out gas right?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
It killed the bees quite readily. Depending on the dosage, though, a larger target like the Seeker might only be paralyzed. Also I should be getting +4 to rapport from Theresa.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I hope Piper doesn't get angry at me. It's not my fault Ortzel is stubborn about his head being in the sand.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:46 am 
Kajin wrote:
Also I should be getting +4 to rapport from Theresa.

Whooops. Fixed.

Dodger77 wrote:
What Zalasbra made was basically a knock out gas right?

For humans, it causes at worst severe nausea. For insects, it's lethal (though the Seeker will require a stronger dose than the bees did to actually kill it).

Kajin wrote:
I hope Piper doesn't get angry at me. It's not my fault Ortzel is stubborn about his head being in the sand.

Oddly enough, telling him that he's right does little to persuade him that he might be wrong.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:13 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If I can keep Ortzel from banning magic altogether I've won. Just can't call it magic.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am 
Thing is, as long as he thinks there's no such thing as magic, he'll think it's safe to ban the use of magic. Because what gets lost if he does so?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Then he must be lying to me about his beliefs. So long as it isn't called magic we should be safe. If he does try to ban magic we'll have to lean on him even harder. I don't think now is the time to try to convince him otherwise, dramatically appropriate army movements or not. It doesn't make sense for us to stand around and gab when there's work to do. We can talk to him later if we must.

If leaning on him fails we form the Knights Terra and invite Knights from around the world to come join our church and chapter house. We have freedom of religion, so they can still worship the Elene god. And since they're not part of the Elene church the Arch-Prelate's laws won't affect them.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
And we risk precipitating a religious war because he is also a strict monotheist in more or less the way that Arkady is supposed to openly be. Arkady is perfectly happy to say 'god' and think 'demon, angel, or who knows, possibly actually what it pleases God to be called locally, something I can sort out later when the colony is up and running'. Ortzel is a hard liner who's colony is already up and running, and may well look to ban Terran technology as well as local magic because BOTH are a threat and a fraud. He needs to be convinced that there's more in the world than currently admitted of in his philosophy.

Recall that this is the fellow who refuses to admit that Piper is floating in front of him. Telling him that Terrans know how to do some of the same things as magic without magic is one thing; feeding into his lie that there is nothing magical around here is quite another. Felix is tying technology to magic while strengthening his resolve to ban magic.

And one final thought; Felix gets a free plus four to this combat. Arkady has to burn fate points he may need later for the exorcism to do this particularly well. Abandoning the task to Arkady is counterproductive.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
This is also a conversation that Felix doesn't really want to have right now, as he's more concerned about the army outside. He doesn't feel he has time to cater to a senile old fool and, thanks to his Pride Before the Fall aspect, will probably just end up making things even worse. I've had to have Felix bite his tongue back on several occasions already. This is definitely a conversation we should have during a stopover in Cimmura where the Pandion Knights can use magic alongside Piper to try and convince Ortzel.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 pm 
It's hard to call Ortzel 'senile', since he looks to be only in his late thirties or early forties at most.

Set in his ways, yes, in much the same way as well-dried concrete. But he's a little too young for 'senile' to really fit.

Kajin wrote:
Then he must be lying to me about his beliefs. So long as it isn't called magic we should be safe.

Ortzel is telling the truth as he sees it. But some things that he believes are false.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Once this scene is over there will likely never be another situation where he can't simply walk away from any attempt to engage him in social combat. Where else is he going to be stuck where he has absolutely no practical authority over anyone present? Where no fawning underlings looking to curry favor will ride to his rescue? Even if we do stop in a knightly chapter house, he can just order them to provide a room and retire.

Besides, if he does ban magic, he's a threat to the Terrans. They can hardly be harboring a mage and using spells to cure the Queen against the direct prohibition of the Elene Church, much less getting the help of a knightly order to do that; and a great deal of their potential status and alliances depends on that happening.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG