Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm 
Hi--I am Tim--I've been reading Sluggy since the beginning (or at least close to--pretty sure I started around 1998). I took a bit of a break for a few years from about 2015 until last year so I had to get caught up. I guess if I have to try to prove my knowledge for Sluggy in this, I'll just say that I'm looking forward to Bun Bun exhibiting more godlike powers....

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Welcome to the forum thancock!

I have to tell you that, yes, this is a right way to do it. Though to be honest, it doesn't really need to be this way anymore. After the revamp of the entire site about a year and a half ago, we have a much stronger spammer defense. At one time we would literally get hundreds of spam posts per day. And no, I am not exaggerating. But now we will go months before getting a solitary spam post.

It would be nice to see Bun-Bun go "God-Mode" once again in the future...

Anyway [member's name here], now I will tell you about the strange tradition aimed at newcomers.

At one time there were Pesterers who pestered you for poetry, but that tends to be very rare nowadays. Even though you may not be pestered, if you do go and post an original poem --usually haiku but any (clean) type is accepted-- written by you, you will most likely receive a gift in return. The "gift" will most likely be useless or maim you. Whichever it may be, it should be interesting and surprising. Lastly, this strange tradition applies to the pestering not the poetry. You are not required to do anything more to be a member here...unless you want to possibly get a [name of harmlessly fatal item here] or some other type of gift.

Now go forth and do (almost) whatever you want, just don't speculate in Reactions.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:31 am 
Zillatain wrote:
It would be nice to see Bun-Bun go "God-Mode" once again in the future...

I only remember nap-mode.

Also, I just came for the username. Your username cannot be in the poetry.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Spirantz wrote:
Also, I just came for the username. Your username cannot be in the poetry.
Getting a little cocky demanding/forbidding things of new members are we?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Getting a little cocky demanding/forbidding things of new members are we?

By making new members operate with limited tools, I expect them to erect a straight-forward work of art. Constructive constraints help us focus so we don't end up beating around the bush.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am 
Okay, second try--I deleted the first because apparently I was living in an alternate dimension for a bit with different haiku rules (embarrassing but true).

You can't blame a guy for having the last name "Hancock" and then using it. I have been on forums that will restrict my name, even when I am filling things out for a form and they ask for my last name and then say, "That last name is unauthorized" or something.

I speak some Japanese so I will attempt a haiku in Japanese--Google Translate does not do this beautiful haiku justice.

スラギすき
ウサギとナイフ
気を付けて!

I like Sluggy
Rabbit with knife
Watch out!

Thank you

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:48 pm 
thancock wrote:
I speak some Japanese so I will attempt a haiku in Japanese--Google Translate does not do this beautiful haiku justice.

スラギすき
ウサギとナイフ
気を付けて!

I like Sluggy
Rabbit with knife
Watch out!

Thank you

That is fantastic. As a purely-unofficial greeter, I gift you with a lifetime supply of black market alfalfa hay. If Bun-bun ever hits you up for some, just tell him it's in Tijuana with his... other shipments. :bunbun:

Welcome, Tim!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 pm 
thancock wrote:
You can't blame a guy for having the last name "Hancock" and then using it. I have been on forums that will restrict my name, even when I am filling things out for a form and they ask for my last name and then say, "That last name is unauthorized" or something.

スラギすき
ウサギとナイフ
気を付けて!

I like Sluggy
Rabbit with knife
Watch out!

Thank you

It's my job as official teaser to point out all phallic related names. Actually, this is the first time it ever came up!

....I'm done now. Probably.

Well, I didn't see the alternate dimensional rules, but oooh! Old school haiku with Morae! Very good! Google may butcher the poetic form, but it is not lost on me. My Kanji isn't good enough to confirm the last line, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

As a gift, I grant you the power to use your name with impunity. It is a wonderful name. Wear it with pride! And welcome!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:21 pm 
The first version was exactly backwards--7 syllables, 5 syllables, 7 syllables and as I was reading it after posting it I realized my mistake.

The last line is ki o tsukete--it actually translates well with google translate :kiki:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:51 pm 
thancock wrote:
The first version was exactly backwards--7 syllables, 5 syllables, 7 syllables and as I was reading it after posting it I realized my mistake.

The last line is ki o tsukete--it actually translates well with google translate :kiki:

Best haiku I've seen in a while :)

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions