Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Here we are, the first Thursday, and first strip of this year.

I have a good feeling that Thi'akmal the Destroyer to awake from its eight thousand year slumber and "recreate" the planet this year. I'm very hopeful.

-----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote everyday!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:18 am 
Is Oasis self-immolating so she can be reborn in another body? Also, guess she's keeping the XT-34 out of military hands after all.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:20 am 
AOL: rapunzil504
Open fire indeed. :oasis:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 am 
Wholly smoke!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:34 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I figured that self immolating would be the easiest -though not the most painless- way for her to "escape". Started to think that she truly had another way to escape, but that was just her convincing the gang that she did. Torg would not have been all that supportive of this method.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 am 
Have we seen evidence that she can burn something to nothing but ash? Seems like a desirable feature for an assassin-bot, but actually having a super ray like that is "a whole nuther thing".

Any non-ash remains, and they have DNA. Ordinary fire temps and the helmet preserves enough facial structure for a good likeness reconstruction...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:45 am 
Wouldn't it have just been better for her to go with the DFA? She'd probably "die" from that too, but it'd be a lot less painful and there wouldn't be any useful evidence. Then again, she wouldn't be able to destroy the ship that way, but they probably could have included that too.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 am 
Sotanaht wrote:
Wouldn't it have just been better for her to go with the DFA? She'd probably "die" from that too, but it'd be a lot less painful and there wouldn't be any useful evidence. Then again, she wouldn't be able to destroy the ship that way, but they probably could have included that too.

Oasis isn't coming back. She said that she wished she could be more like Torg, after destroying a ship full of people, and being a monster is about as not like Torg as one can be. The only thing she knows how to do is kill people, and the only way she knows how to deal with emotional distress is to kill people. She knows that she'll kill again, and Torg will think ill of her, and probably blame himself (not knowing that Torg was accepting of another monster who had a habit of killing people). She would rather have him remember her as he remembers her now, than what he'll think of her in the future. He'll never know what happened to her.
That's why she didn't go with the others.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:09 am 
Ophidiophile wrote:
Sotanaht wrote:

Oasis isn't coming back. She said that she wished she could be more like Torg, after destroying a ship full of people, and being a monster is about as not like Torg as one can be. The only thing she knows how to do is kill people, and the only way she knows how to deal with emotional distress is to kill people. She knows that she'll kill again, and Torg will think ill of her, and probably blame himself (not knowing that Torg was accepting of another monster who had a habit of killing people). She would rather have him remember her as he remembers her now, than what he'll think of her in the future. He'll never know what happened to her.

But can she just opt out of re-creation?
"Well, this is it!" was the start of her last conversation with Torg and the "good-bye" in the end now sounds very final.
But for being finally killed, she still needs her satellite destroyed.

The other thing I'm wondering about is this: Why did Oasis need this tinted helmet to cover her face? She could have just burned the ship with her inside before coming out and exposing anything...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 am 
Wow. That's a great way to avoid getting caught. And she is the only one in the world who can do it.

Sotanaht wrote:

Well, who knows what the effects would be on her satellite connection. But also, they would have a dead Oasis body with them in the other dimension. She does have her pride. She wouldn't want her lifeless body to be seen, and be there for them to dispose of.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:47 am 
Wow.
Ophidiophile wrote:

This was my first thought too... I hope everyone else is right. I don't want Oasis to be gone just as she is becoming who she is...
If she does come back, will she remember things? Will she be able to continue her self-discovery? I hope so. It's a lot of development to have gone through to just destroy herself.
But that "good bye"...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:07 am 
something i just thought of - and should have thought of a while ago - don't fires need oxygen to burn? fire can't exist in the vacuum of space. so how does her fire cannon work?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 am 
tube_rat wrote:
something i just thought of - and should have thought of a while ago - don't fires need oxygen to burn? fire can't exist in the vacuum of space. so how does her fire cannon work?

Oasis has only burnt the insides of spaceships. So oxygen present.
But yes, the fire cannon seems magical, because a powerful laser/microwave gun would not ignite the target like that, and a literal fire ray (burning gas) would not reach far through vacuum.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:43 am 
Ophidiophile wrote:
Sotanaht wrote:

Let me remind you that Torg only just recently buried the HC HQ, killing everyone. I think Oasis might have been dead when that happened, but the two of them spent enough time together since, and the destruction of the HQ was well discussed within the party, that it stretches disbelief that she wouldn't have known about that. "Be more like Torg" isn't really about "not killing people".

No, I'm pretty sure the finality here is more to the nature of "they didn't exchange any kind of contact information". Torg doesn't know how to find Oasis, Oasis doesn't know how to find Torg, and Oasis at least intends to keep it that way.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:11 pm 
I remember Oasis telling someone that she cant die -- and has tried many times during her depression.
Perma-Death isn't an option for her.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions