Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:07 pm 
So ends Dr. Irving Schlock... victim of his own paranoia, and as someone here said, lacking in self-awareness right 'til the end.

Well played, Pete. Well played.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: 11
Holy Sin, Schlock is dead. Though he did some really horrible stuff he was a great character to have around. Thanks for saving all existence from KZK, it was a trip.

When I first read panel 4 I thought he said "{I} did this to myself". One misread word totally changes the meaning so much.

Doc thought that Riff would be the death of him, but it was more Zoe. Ironic how the Stormbreaker killed the one who helped end KZK the first time.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:37 pm 
Kind of amazing... Schlock has been around for over 20 years. He first appeared in 1997, when he had his run-in with Bun-Bun. After a few minor cameos he re-appeared in "old Schlock" form in 1999.

He started out as a parody and a fall guy. He nearly took over the world, and became carelessly evil in the process. Sic transit gloria Schlock. Good riddance.

Last edited by garyfritz on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:48 pm 
wedge wrote:
Nicely done, Pete. Love the panel layout and the poetic look of the last two panels -- powerful stuff for a powerful moment.

Pete may not have the most complicated of art styles but he knows how to pack in the emotion.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:26 pm 
I'm honestly not sure what my reaction is. In the beginning Schlock was mostly pretty harmless and amusing. I came to find "DOMP" so entirely satisfying. I will miss that.

However, by the time Schlock killed Riff & Zoë (or so it looked) and showed no remorse, he had become sickeningly twisted. His 'it's everybody else's fault' mindset got very old very fast, and so I am not going to miss what he became. A redemption moment just would not have felt real. He had to go and this was a glorious Pete way to do it:
Lord Golbez wrote:
Quite appropriate that Shlock who very literally "did this to himself" is so utterly lacking in self-awareness to the bitter end.

And yes, not only glorious but very karmically satisfying. I just hope Riff understands that Schlock was selfish and stupid and that this was no sacrifice.

Finally, Pete has been threatening the "end game" for at least two years now. It never felt close to being true, so I could hide in denial. The destruction of Kusari's rebirth facility started to make it feel true, but today was the first day that I really, truly feel like we're in the "end game". That realization, more than anything, leaves me feeling conflicted.
pelrun wrote:
I'm totally okay with this, but Riff only just reminded us how 4U Schlock needed to use an EMP to kill himself, thanks to Dr Crabtree's nanites... ( http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2018-09-10 )

Oh god NO. Just no.
(Although, I have to say that Punzil504 did imagine a scenario for this possibility that would be incredibly satisfying)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm 
Yes. Yesyesyesyes. Yesssssss.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:38 pm 
Darzel wrote:
I'm practically forced to login every few years to react to a powerful strip. Panels 5-7 are some of the best climax panels I've ever seen from the entire history of the web comic. Massive amounts of Kudos to that one. Like said above, masterful bait and switch, and the absolute perfect ending to one of the best antagonists of the series.

Ditto. Hard to imagine Sluggy without Schlock. Goodbye you irredeemable bastard I held out hope for to the very end.

Post subject: But who shot?
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:01 pm 
I made an account on the previous comic to point out that the missiles came out of a portal next to a bloody-bun skull and crossbones, so I figured that it was bun-bun who shot, not the AI.

But my account wasn't activated before we saw Shlock's ship blown up.

I've been reading Sluggy since almost the beginning.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 pm 
Location: North-east of the Border City (between Reality and Niftyness (nifty side))
Darzel wrote:
I'm practically forced to login every few years to react to a powerful strip. Panels 5-7 are some of the best climax panels I've ever seen from the entire history of the web comic. Massive amounts of Kudos to that one. Like said above, masterful bait and switch, and the absolute perfect ending to one of the best antagonists of the series.

Same here. This was a very satisfying comic!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 pm 
Well.

While I've been reading this strip since The Great House War (I think?), I'm still taken by surprise by Pete's writing. I fully expected a single panel strip with Riff's demise, but instead we lose Schlock. Not saying he didn't deserve it, but it was very unexpected.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 pm 
Punzil504 wrote:
Hey Schlock... stop hitting yourself.

*snortle*

Dang, Pete. Way to deliver on the promise this week.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 pm 
>That logo at the top banner
Oh. Oh no. I though Hereti-Corp arc was over. Nope, now Hereti-Corp is lead by AI instead of Schlock.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 pm 
Count me as another one who hasn't posted much, but feels impelled to post a reaction here.

I see at least one or two others have used "masterful" to describe the twist, and that was the first word which sprang to my mind as well. This might be the best swerve since the end of 4U, IMO. After yesterday, I was fully expecting it to be curtains for Riff. Well done, Pete!

And if this is the end for Schlock, even with all he's done to deserve it, I'm still definitely going to miss him. If nothing else, he's been a great foil for our heroes.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:02 pm 
AOL: I+forgot+my+password...
I just wish we had gotten here when the posting schedule was speedier. I keep checking every day in case I miss one (because it’s a bit spoiler-ish to miss, and challenging to go into the archives and go just one comic back), which emphasizes the slow pace. Also, I can’t even remember half the storyline that got the group into space in the first place. The script may be tighter, but the overall storytelling pace is, er, sluggish. :bunbun:

I would have had a jaw-drop reaction once upon a time, but now my reaction is *shrug, ok, a thing finally happened. And I vaguely remember how we got to this thing.*

I’ve been reading for about 15 years, so I gotta see it through, but I’m dreading the idea of what used to be a month’s worth of strips taking another 6 months to view.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:00 am 
pelrun wrote:
I'm totally okay with this, but Riff only just reminded us how 4U Schlock needed to use an EMP to kill himself, thanks to Dr Crabtree's nanites... ( http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2018-09-10 )

More like thanks to 4U nanites that could rebuild a body almost from scratch. Those were at least 3 generations more advanced.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions