Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am 
Not speculation, just put two-and-two together. If somebody's already pointed this out, sorry!

In the linked story, Oasis tells Sasha about the "know thyself" mantra. Later in the story, Kusari mocks Oasis with the line, "'Know thyself' indeed."

At the time, we assume Kusari knew the mantra because of her "family" relationship. But it's waaay more likely that this was the first time Kusari/Sasha heard about the link. Kusari's use of the phrase is a clue to the Kusari/Sasha connection.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 am 
YES!!!

gregnier wrote:

Hell Yeah!

Oasis is free and armed with Chaz. Let the butt-kicking commence!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:08 pm 
Silverwalker wrote:
Which for some reason makes me wonder, which of them was Riff's girlfriend and which were away being Kusashi? Or ... considering they all seem affectionate toward Riff ... was it all of them taking turns being with him? I am sure Riff would like to hear that. Please Pete, tell us - I mean tell Riff.

You assume they're distinct individuals. But if Kusari is, indeed, a satellite similar to Oasis, then they aren't distinct at all, they're...think of the bodies as hands. You have two hands. They're different hands. They can work separately or in concert. Your dominant hand might even specialize a little bit, but they're not especially individual.

So it doesn't matter "which" Sasha was Riff's girlfriend, they all were because they're all the same girl. (Also chances are, that's the one that Oasis killed).

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm 
Hmm, who is this "Never Again" that Oasis promises to obey? :pun:

Pied Typer wrote:
Remember Kusari, at least now she's physically capable of showing you mercy.

I think it more accurate to say "If you ask very nicely Kusari, Oasis might just be willing to show you mercy". In other words, Only Absolute Submission Is Sufficient.

The rightmost Kusari/Sasha seems more focused on Oasis than Torg at the moment. That's good news for Torg given where his head and neck are positioned.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm 
Wait, why isn't Oasis using her knives? I would think hC would have let her bring them onboard, considering she was still hC-controlled when they boarded.

Yodimus_Prime wrote:
If Schlock's quantum entanglement theory is right, then this ladies and gentlemen, would be the moment of decoherence. Let this be a lesson: don't make measurements on entangled systems if you want them to not collapse!

As far as I can tell, the link is still there; she just isn't compelled to follow orders anymore, because she knows herself.

This is just further evidence against the quantum entanglement theory: if either side of the entangled system ever interacts with an outside system, the entanglement is broken.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm 
People, the tech here has inflatable hoverbikes and inflatable spacecraft and interdimensional travel and time travel and magic and shapeshifting aliens that don't conserve mass and all kinds of problematic things from a real science perspective. It's all ok.

Let's let Pete take the standard scifi liberties with Quantum Entanglement and cloaking and all the usual tropes, ok?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm 
Welp, that has to be the most exciting week in a very long time! Thanks very much Pete.

Oasis has found her emancipation! Although Schlock still has a man on the satellite....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:49 pm 
migB wrote:
Wow - from my brief experience with swordfighting (katana training), I would say Oasis perfectly lined up a killing blow to the one Kusari, removing any ability she had to block the blow, and also retaining her own ability to defend against Kusaris blows.

If she deals a killing blow with the weapon in her hand, good money says it won't just be to the "one Kusari."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm 
GO OASIS!! She's free!! FINALLY! And look at Schlock's face in that last panel! Haha, he's lost her!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
^^ Two cuts. Remember, Chaz needs to be activated first

Not necessarily. We know that the Sashas have innocent blood. So one cut regardless of how small can activate him. We also know that only the first cut is a 'gimme', and a Kusari/Sasha has already been cut. So it is entirely possible that the next cut will simultaneously activate Chaz and be the kill cut. But if all it takes is one cut...... ...Can Chaz kill a satellite?

2. @ gregnier (& @Pete): HELL YEAH! :kiki:

RamenChef wrote:
Wait, why isn't Oasis using her knives? I would think hC would have let her bring them onboard, considering she was still hC-controlled when they boarded.

Schlock isn't stupid. And he's paranoid. I'm surprised that he allowed Torg to come along and/or live - but I think Schlock underestimates Torg.

MerlinOfChaos wrote:
Let's let Pete take the standard scifi liberties with Quantum Entanglement and cloaking and all the usual tropes, ok?

Aww. Now where is the fun in that? ;-)

Chickenhead wrote:
Welp, that has to be the most exciting week in a very long time! Thanks very much Pete.

This!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm 
Wow! This week has been intense! I just want it to keep going!

swmartian wrote:
RamenChef wrote:

Schlock isn't stupid. And he's paranoid. I'm surprised that he allowed Torg to come along and/or live - but I think Schlock underestimates Torg.

As so many have, and that has proven the downfall of many!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm 
I don't see why Schlock would still underestimate Torg after what happened to Hereticorp. It is surprising that someone as paranoid as Schlock didn't just have him killed immediately though. Regardless, I'd say the situation right now comes from overconfidence about Oasis, not underestimating Torg.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

Not necessarily. We know that the Sashas have innocent blood. So one cut regardless of how small can activate him. We also know that only the first cut is a 'gimme', and a Kusari/Sasha has already been cut. So it is entirely possible that the next cut will simultaneously activate Chaz and be the kill cut.

I don't think Chaz works that way. It's not "Oh I've tasted this innocent blood before, and the next time I taste it will be a killing strike." It's "Is Chaz OFF? Then he's a +3 sword. Is Chaz ON? Then he kills whatever he cuts." So as Yodimus said, he must be activated before he's in full Beast Mode.

On the other hand, Oasis has never needed a magic sword to kill people before. If she manages to behead a Kusasha, any normal sword would do. She's always fought to a standstill with Kusari before, but Chaz *is* a +3 (or whatever) sword, so she has an advantage. But she doesn't have much sword training, and kusari-gama may be a better weapon for close-in fighting in tight quarters.

(Speaking of activating Chaz... I just realized that when Farahn killed Kron, Chaz was "asleep" in the previous strip, then activated when he killed Kron. Was Kron innocent, so he activated Chaz with his own blood?)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm 
garyfritz wrote:
(Speaking of activating Chaz... I just realized that when Farahn killed Kron, Chaz was "asleep" in the previous strip, then activated when he killed Kron. Was Kron innocent, so he activated Chaz with his own blood?)

It seems like it - which leads me to believe that if Oasis manages to stab Chaz into Kusari for long enough, he may become activated and 'kill' her. Exactly what the consequences of that would be is more uncertain.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 am 
garyfritz wrote:
swmartian wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

Not necessarily. We know that the Sashas have innocent blood. So one cut regardless of how small can activate him. We also know that only the first cut is a 'gimme', and a Kusari/Sasha has already been cut. So it is entirely possible that the next cut will simultaneously activate Chaz and be the kill cut.

I don't think Chaz works that way. It's not "Oh I've tasted this innocent blood before, and the next time I taste it will be a killing strike." It's "Is Chaz OFF? Then he's a +3 sword. Is Chaz ON? Then he kills whatever he cuts." So as Yodimus said, he must be activated before he's in full Beast Mode.

I agree with this premise, but possibly not with your implied conclusion. The last time Kusari activated Chaz it was just a scratch. By the time he was activated the sword was no longer in contact with her. I'm not so sure the same would hold true for a killing blow. Particularly, if Oasis runs her through with the sword, I'd say that's the end for Kusari. If she decapitates her in one blow, it might be a bit more questionable, but we definitely have more blood contact during the process of cutting there.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions