Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 am 
Given she just kicked Torg in the direction of an armed Kusari, it's not necessarily good for he and Riff either.

Also, Schlock has technicians all over the Oasis satellite at present. They may just shut her comms down.

Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Thom Solo wrote:
swmartian wrote:
OK, so for 'what happens next'... I'm still betting on "Oasis about to become very dangerous". "Know thyself" is key and all the more so now. It's the difference between Oasis taking control and Oasis being controlled.

I concur, and also note that Oasis is currently closest to Chaz. I will spec (probably incorrectly) that she will grab the sword and block Kusari's attempt to kill Riff, perhaps with a Big "No!" because either she remembers him somehow (with a hazy figure she can't focus on next to him, kinda like a perception filter) or simply because he seems to have answers that she needs.

Looks like it's going in that direction. She's got Chaz now, and that sure isn't good for the ol' innocent-blood Sashas over there.

Does this mean Oasis can no longer be controlled? Could everyone's recent-ish actions shifted the timeline enough that it can't course-correct toward DoR anymore, with Oasis seeing herself being the final straw, making Harbinger impossible?

Orrrr is this all just part of the process toward 4U doom?
God, I hope not.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am 
erewhon wrote:
Given she just kicked Torg in the direction of an armed Kusari, it's not necessarily good for he and Riff either.

Given how Kusari has been acting recently, I'd say that in absence of direct orders she'll do whatever she can to avoid hurting Torg.
erewhon wrote:
Also, Schlock has technicians all over the Oasis satellite at present. They may just shut her comms down.

Well, given that she's kicking Torg into the line of fire instead of blocking it herself, I don't think that would affect the outcome. After all, most gymnastics training won't be useful without gravity—or at least the moves that she usually prefers.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm 
Thom Solo wrote:
swmartian wrote:
OK, so for 'what happens next'... I'm still betting on "Oasis about to become very dangerous". "Know thyself" is key and all the more so now. It's the difference between Oasis taking control and Oasis being controlled.

I concur, and also note that Oasis is currently closest to Chaz. I will spec (probably incorrectly) that she will grab the sword and block Kusari's attempt to kill Riff, perhaps with a Big "No!" because either she remembers him somehow (with a hazy figure she can't focus on next to him, kinda like a perception filter) or simply because he seems to have answers that she needs.

Whoo-hoo! Teamwork! High-5!

http://archives.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=010722

Um. Or not....

erewhon wrote:

Pete already gave us that hint when Oasis (organic) saw Torg at the rebirth center through the O.A.S.I.S. camera(s) there. Of course she can "see" the technicians, and of course O.A.S.I.S. has a few defenses.

The other hint was that a graze by Chaz is a gimme. After that, all bets are off. Can Chaz kill a satellite??

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Thom Solo wrote:
swmartian wrote:

Whoo-hoo! Teamwork! High-5!

http://archives.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=010722

Um. Or not....

erewhon wrote:

Pete already gave us that hint when Oasis (organic) saw Torg at the rebirth center through the O.A.S.I.S. camera(s) there. Of course she can "see" the technicians, and of course O.A.S.I.S. has a few defenses.

The other hint was that a graze by Chaz is a gimme. After that, all bets are off. Can Chaz kill a satellite??

If they were able to de-cloak the satellite and disarm the Fire-starter cannon without interference then there may not be any defences left on the O.A.S.I.S satellite.

If they deactivate the satellite or even simply cut off the link to the Oasis 'meat puppet' by isolating the brain, then she may simply go into standby, like Kusari in the van.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 pm 
swmartian wrote:
erewhon wrote:

I'm guessing that Dr. Steve wouldn't have expected anyone aside from him and the avatar to ever even find this satellite. That said, she probably has some defenses à la lighting incoming ships on fire.

Also, dismantling weapons systems and disabling her comm systems are completely different tasks. The former just takes a hard enough hit in the right spot. The latter… well, entanglement is difficult to obstruct or collapse.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 pm 
Pied Typer wrote:
I'm guessing that Dr. Steve wouldn't have expected anyone aside from him and the avatar to ever even find this satellite. That said, she probably has some defenses à la lighting incoming ships on fire.

Also, dismantling weapons systems and disabling her comm systems are completely different tasks. The former just takes a hard enough hit in the right spot. The latter… well, entanglement is difficult to obstruct or collapse.

Disabling the Oasis satellite's defences was a matter of deactivating the thermal cannon and the cloaking device. Hereti-corp intended to replace the thermal cannon with the DFA cannon so that part of the satellite was less important. It is unclear how they were able to disable the cloaking device, but they probably didn't destroy it. They knew how it worked and intended to reactivate it once they were done.

Disabling communications between the satellite and the organic Oasis entity is a completely different matter. Unlike the cloaking device, Hereti-corp have no idea how the communications system works. That means that they can only deactivate it by destroying it. And that part of the satellite is, for whatever reason, something they consider essential and thus it is far too valuable to destroy.

Another problem for Hereti-corp is is that Oasis will no longer respond to commands by Schlock or the watch. In other words, from Hereti-corp's standpoint, the AI would have gone rogue. At best, they might be able to tear out the Oasis AI and install Kusari/Sasha in its place but even that might not be an option - Kusari is starting to find loopholes in her orders. And Kusari might not be able to operate the satellite as intended. The satellite might be constructed in such a way that the controlling intelligence behind Oasis is the only way to keep it functioning.

Satellites are complicated pieces of machinery and the Oasis satellite contains equipment that would not be out of place in Star Trek. The cloaking device is one such item - Hereti-corp knew of its existence but could not actually deactivate it without physical contact. The precision thermal cannon is another: it is accurate enough to target someone's tongue from orbit. The communications system is irreplaceable; other parts of the satellite might be as well. Based off the comments of others, the energy source for the Oasis satellite must be unique as must its heat management otherwise she wouldn't work properly. Getting all these pieces of complicated machinery to work together is not an easy task and it likely would only work with its dedicated AI. Given the overall complexity, it might not even be possible to determine which part of the satellite truly contained the Oasis AI or if it even was contained in a discrete component that could be replaced.

That means that either the Oasis satellite has to be destroyed, rendering all the invested resources moot, or a way must be found to replace her AI, something that would be difficult to say the least. Unless you got the aid of the demon that installed Win95 on a Mac.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm 
That smile is pretty unsettling too!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm 
Kusari is certainly waaay off baseline compared to her past default solution settings

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm 
A whole week of comics and we haven't seen Zoe or Gwynn. Perhaps now that the action is picking up with Oasis, we'll switch gears tomorrow.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am 
slightlylooney wrote:
Pied Typer wrote:

Disabling the Oasis satellite's defences was a matter of deactivating the thermal cannon and the cloaking device. Hereti-corp intended to replace the thermal cannon with the DFA cannon so that part of the satellite was less important. It is unclear how they were able to disable the cloaking device, but they probably didn't destroy it. They knew how it worked and intended to reactivate it once they were done.

Disabling communications between the satellite and the organic Oasis entity is a completely different matter. Unlike the cloaking device, Hereti-corp have no idea how the communications system works. That means that they can only deactivate it by destroying it. And that part of the satellite is, for whatever reason, something they consider essential and thus it is far too valuable to destroy.

Another problem for Hereti-corp is is that Oasis will no longer respond to commands by Schlock or the watch. In other words, from Hereti-corp's standpoint, the AI would have gone rogue. At best, they might be able to tear out the Oasis AI and install Kusari/Sasha in its place but even that might not be an option - Kusari is starting to find loopholes in her orders. And Kusari might not be able to operate the satellite as intended. The satellite might be constructed in such a way that the controlling intelligence behind Oasis is the only way to keep it functioning.

Satellites are complicated pieces of machinery and the Oasis satellite contains equipment that would not be out of place in Star Trek. The cloaking device is one such item - Hereti-corp knew of its existence but could not actually deactivate it without physical contact. The precision thermal cannon is another: it is accurate enough to target someone's tongue from orbit. The communications system is irreplaceable; other parts of the satellite might be as well. Based off the comments of others, the energy source for the Oasis satellite must be unique as must its heat management otherwise she wouldn't work properly. Getting all these pieces of complicated machinery to work together is not an easy task and it likely would only work with its dedicated AI. Given the overall complexity, it might not even be possible to determine which part of the satellite truly contained the Oasis AI or if it even was contained in a discrete component that could be replaced.

That means that either the Oasis satellite has to be destroyed, rendering all the invested resources moot, or a way must be found to replace her AI, something that would be difficult to say the least. Unless you got the aid of the demon that installed Win95 on a Mac.

This is assuming that the brains behind Oasis is actually an AI. I'm still not entirely convinced Rana or Dunuloa aren't somehow involved - too many things still point at them despite all the revelations.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm 
CheeseWhisper (from the 1/11 reaction thread) wrote:
zhecht wrote:
Don't forget that Oasis's love for Torg was just as artificial an order as her forgetting Torg.

Yes, but if she remembers him, then she remembers what sort of person he is -- and what he's tried to do for her, in spite of his mistakes.

Dang, this is getting intense.

I concur with this statement, and am speccing that Oasis remembers Torg and that he is one of the few people who saw her as something other than a weapon (the others being Dr. Steve--apparently, based on him wanting her to grow free of him--as well as Feng and the Zalias). Even without the enforced love command (which I also believe she is now free of, as others have specced), she should see Torg as a good friend.

I am also going to spec that, the next time Oasis encounters Zoe, she will do her best to protect her because she is no longer insanely jealous and know that Torg loves Zoe.

That encounter, however, will be split by a cliffhanger. Because Pete is evil.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 pm 
Thom Solo wrote:
CheeseWhisper (from the 1/11 reaction thread) wrote:
zhecht wrote:
Don't forget that Oasis's love for Torg was just as artificial an order as her forgetting Torg.

Yes, but if she remembers him, then she remembers what sort of person he is -- and what he's tried to do for her, in spite of his mistakes.

Dang, this is getting intense.

I concur with this statement, and am speccing that Oasis remembers Torg and that he is one of the few people who saw her as something other than a weapon (the others being Dr. Steve--apparently, based on him wanting her to grow free of him--as well as Feng and the Zalias). Even without the enforced love command (which I also believe she is now free of, as others have specced), she should see Torg as a good friend.

I am also going to spec that, the next time Oasis encounters Zoe, she will do her best to protect her because she is no longer insanely jealous and know that Torg loves Zoe.

That encounter, however, will be split by a cliffhanger. Because Pete is evil.

Not to mention Bun-Bun is on that shuttle too. And I doubt he'd care one bit about any change in Oasis.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
This is assuming that the brains behind Oasis is actually an AI. I'm still not entirely convinced Rana or Dunuloa aren't somehow involved - too many things still point at them despite all the revelations.

If Dr Steve was telling the truth, he built Oasis's mind. That makes her some sort of Artificial Intelligence regardless of whether she was build by magical means, technological means or both.

I wonder if the entirety of Oasis's controlling intelligence is contained within the satellite. It might still turn out that Oasis's mind is spread amongst several different sites so as to avoid a single point of failure.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm 
A controlled mind made human, could technically be the controlled mind of a god made human, I guess (although they're pretty human already and don't need to "emulate" emotion), but it's pretty hard to get around the "I built it" part.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:47 pm 
It's also now possible that the human avatar of Oasis is now a whole person, distinct from the Satellite O.A.S.I.S.

The 'know yourself' may have been a trigger for self actualisation.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat