Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions

Post subject: Introduction
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 am 
Hello!
I've been a member for more than three weeks, so thank you for not deleting me. I started reading Sluggy, the first time, in 2002ish (around the time of the "cow tipping joke" - which got me hooked.) I graduated college, and stopped reading it until 2006ish. After catching up, I feel behind... for like 4 years. I tried to catch up, but must have missed a bunch of story lines (clicking through the archives used to be a bit painful). I still checked in most days to stay up to date, but got increasingly lost.
A few months ago, I was trying to find information on Sasha/Kusari/other Sasha, and realized there was a forum and A BOOKMARK!!!!
Now, slightly obsessively, I'm working my way from the beginning (probably way too fast) and am up to http://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?cha ... 2011-08-26 . At that point I noticed a typo in the 5th panel "Not so Soon! An(d) Torg's part of it?" - so I went to update the wall of typos and found I couldn't.
Not that you care about typos - but I'm just putting that here for my own reference in case I get around to updating the wall of Typos and am approved for the forums.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Introduction
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Welcome to the forum Freecain!

I see you've had a somewhat...turbulent, reading of the Holy Sluggy Scripture.

I have said before that the Bookmark feature would be handy for people reading the Archive or if they go on hiatus and come back. But there are ones who hate that there is not an actual "back" button --though the "View in Archives" button in a way does what is needed-- or that the update schedule is no longer written in stone, so they would rather stop reading than adjust their old reading habits and use the useful bookmark function. Oh well...

Also I'm sorry to inform you, but the typo you wanted to point out, has already been.

Anyway [member's name here], now I will tell you about the strange tradition aimed at newcomers.

At one time there were Pesterers who pestered you for poetry, but that tends to be very rare nowadays. Even though you may not be pestered, if you do go and post an original poem --usually haiku but any (clean) type is accepted-- written by you, you will most likely receive a gift in return. The "gift" will most likely be useless or maim you. Whichever it may be, it should be interesting and surprising. Lastly, this strange tradition applies to the pestering not the poetry. You are not required to do anything more to be a member here...unless you want to possibly get a [name of harmlessly fatal item here] or some other type of gift.

Now go forth and do (almost) whatever you want, just don't speculate in Reactions.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am 
Thanks for the welcome, great Zillatain
Writing a poem shouldn't be much of a strain
I'll appreciate the insights
on the story lines Pete writes
Even as they get more insane

Now that Torg has learned Oasis is a satellite,
And is trapped on a ship with no way to fight
Escape plans are as strained
as leaving the Demension of Pain
Perhaps Bun Bun has an Egg to set it all right?

No matter the twist and turns and bad jokes
I'm glad for this community of folks
through 20 years of these stories
recaps, fillers and a few Zoes,
that I can share all of the stupid in-jokes.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:19 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
OK. The newbies are definitely stepping up their poetry game. My gift to you Freecain is this hearty round of applause!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 pm 
Is this one of those "careful what you wish for" type of things?
Would this be a "Hearty" round of applause is being done by a vaguely racist depiction of an Indian Priest chanting "Kali Maa, Kali Maa" directly to my heart.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Um, no. It's just a normal round of applause. We're not all a bunch of Zillatains. ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 am 
Don't worry, my gifts --unlike Dodger's-- are not hiding any nefarious subtext at all. They always love/hate/maim/eviscerate/hug all human/nonhuman gift recipients equally! Which reminds me that I need to go and find you a wonderful gift. Wait there on the big "X" on the floor.

Be right back! Oh, almost forgot. Don't look up. For any reason.

I'm back, and you will not bel- You looked up didn't you? Yes you did. It's going to take years of counseling to get THAT image out of your head, or sleep normally again, or speak in a normal human language without devolving into screaming. Oh well, I did warn you. Anyway, I have your gift!

It is an Omniscient Bag!

Once a day (every 24 Earth hours) you can reach into the bag and pull out the exact thing you --or someone near you at some point-- will need to make it through the day, but you did not know you needed.

Might be bandages because you or someone will need help stopping the bleeding. A pen since you might lose your only other one at an inopportune point. Maybe a pocket-sized antimatter nuke since your scheme to blackmail a small country needs some serious help. Who knows what it might be! Well no matter, the bag knows!

Enjoy!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am 
Okay - day two, and this bag just keeps giving me breath mints. Is it saying something?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:35 pm 
I'm pretty sure you have somebody around you who badly needs those breath mints. So you must find this person as soon as possible --if it's not too late already!

Run up to every person and shove your nose into their mouth and breath deeply until you find the person. If they do not cooperate with your life saving task, just punch them in the gut and sniff the air as it rapidly exits their body through their mouth.

You should find them in no time at all.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm 
Quick question: I tried to gain entrance to POOP - CCC has an on going Zuma commentary that is fascinating, and I have a few questions for him.
I went through the user panel to request (a while ago) and then sent the moderator a PM about a week ago.
Normally I'd be patient, but things are moving pretty fast in SA, and I'd love to be a part of that conversation.
Any ideas on how to get my request approved?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 pm 
Well, I looked around to see if I could promote you to POOP status, but it appears that's an Admin ability. I emailed someone who should hopefully be able to correct this and promote you to POOP status.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 am 
Zillatain, that's a load of crap!
(and thanks!)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 am 
Well, if you didn't know yet, you are now a bonafide party POOPer. So you had better head on over to the party you were talking about crashing, before it's over.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am 
Thanks!

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions