Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:45 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Trump can be stood in front of a wall and shot by a firing squad and they'll still weasel and stonewall. The tax cut bill is all that matters, not the fate of Trump and his ilk. And since the rest of the party knew enough to know what not to ask, most are pretty much immune to whatever happens to the entire White House crew (barring Ryan, for whom this is his one and only chance to ever become president). No, they won't say boo until they get (or admit defeat on) their tax cut bill.

That said, it's amusing that Manafort was not charged with the crimes he has apparently committed which are punishable under New York State law. New York does not allow crimes adjudicated in the Federal courts to come up in a state court, so were Manafort tried and pardoned for such offenses that would be that. Now Mueller has eliminated Trump from the list of people who can save Manafort; only the AG of New York could do that, and he never would.

So Manafort has to decide if he's willing to do a Liddy and rot, uncompensated, in prison for Trump. This is a nonstarter for any modern Republican or their fellow travelers, Manafort very much included. The odds favor him singing like a birdie real soon.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 am 
How are the Republicans this bad at cutting taxes? It's their signature issue.

Writing a garbage health care bill was predictable since they only ever cared about health care as a cudgel to beat Obama with, but I never expected them to draft a tax bill so useless that they can't even scrounge up their own votes for it.

I think I want them to pass their stupid tax cuts so that they can stop feeling pressured to gloss over Trump's every transgression. At least tax cuts are a lot more fixable than most other things they could screw up in the next three years. Then after tax cuts, what else is there on the Republican agenda?

As for Manafort, whether he sings probably depends on whether he's more afraid of Putin than he is of Mueller. Everyone else who ratted on the Russians has wound up dead in the back of cars, defenestrated, crumpled in a heap at the bottom of flights of stairs or poisoned. 12 years in federal prison might be preferable.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Always assuming he isn't killed in prison to keep him quiet.

The problem with the tax bill seems to be that they want something so absurd that no Democratic Senator would dream of voting for it, which means it has to be done without increasing the deficit over 10 years. That can't be done without getting some of their own to sacrifice their careers for the financial and political gain of everyone else (er...the greater good). Hold your breath.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 am 
I get that they're limited in how much they can blow up the deficit due to having to use reconciliation, but still. Wow. They are so useless. The fact that they won't even consider scaling down the corporate tax cuts to make it all fit speaks volumes.

They could eliminate the filibuster but Mitch doesn't want that to come around and bite them in the arse in a few years time.

I've always thought the filibuster was daft, though. No normal country needs to have a super-majority to pass ordinary legislation. Sure I'm relieved that it's there at this moment in time, but it's like being grateful for a dog turd on Martin Shkreli's expensive Italian shoe.

Meanwhile, Jeff ^$#*ing Sessions has found another category of immigrants to screw over. I almost wish Trump would fire him.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:14 pm 
I wonder if the GOP doing so poorly in yesterday's election will change anyone's political calculus. Do people start thinking about whether it hurts less to turn on Trump now, or wait to go down with him after 2018?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Taxes then Trump. Though I suspect everyone now feels it's best to just ignore him for electoral purposes; he has proven his endorsement is worth essentially nothing, and his wrath little if any more.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm 
So far I think a lot of them are rationalizing it as "Well, Virginia's a blue state now, so it doesn't count". Also, the gerrymandering wall held. The Dems should've retaken Virginia's state legislature with their vote share, but they couldn't because they were packed into a few districts. Still, I reckon any GOP congress-critter serving in a purplish district should be getting really nervous about now.

They probably won't do much more than symbolically distance themselves from Trump until after the 2018 election though. They don't want to invoke the wrath of the Breitbart crowd just yet.
-------

Did you see the bit about how Jimmy Kimmel tricked Trumpistas into liking Obamacare by calling it Trumpcare? He went and did this whole "apology" for having criticized Trump on healthcare and said that everyone should go to healthcare.gov and sign up for Trumpcare because he was wrong and Trumpcare is actually great. When in fact, the Trump administration has been trying to sabotage the ACA by not advertising the enrollment period.

He's rescuing Obamacare by letting Trump take credit for it. It's brilliant. Do you think Trump himself will fall for it? He can't resist the urge to preen.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 pm 
OK, give me a reality check. Was there a time when these two things would've been considered completely insane?

1. The base defending Roy Moore, child molester.
2. Remember Michael Flynn? Mueller found out that he recently plotted to kidnap a dude for the Turkish regime. Not only is he a crook, he's an international bounty hunter.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
There was, but that was back when the GOP was the party of Lincoln. And in fairness, if that particular base was still Democratic they'd still be lunatic defenders of the patriarchal power structure which Moore is championing.

As for Flynn, well, remember that the ethos is 'nothing comes amiss, so money comes withal'. This is the crowd that tried to use the US Army to steal Iraq; why cavil at kidnapping?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 am 
Re: Moore, I expected "It's not true and his accusers are attention-seeking crazy people", or perhaps even "God works through flawed people". But "The Bible says it's OK to hit on teen girls" was one I did not see coming.

The other thing I should have seen coming was China playing Trump like a fiddle. The man is easily dazzled by big dinners and shiny parades. Of course Trump will probably flip and start bashing China again in about 15 minutes.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am 
A short while ago it was fashionable among rightwingers, at least around here, to call Mohamed a child molester and that child molestion was sancioned by islam, because of the age of one of his wifes, though i never found out, how offical of apocryphal that information is.

Has that happened in the US too? If so, can't someone remind them about their arguments from back then, that religions that promote child molestation are bad and should be shunned or banned.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 am 
The mental gymnastics in this case go, "You hypocritical liberals have no standing to criticise Roy Moore because you tolerate child marriage in Muslims."

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 am 
I just read an article on how "courtship" (arranged marriages between young girls and older men heavily supervised by the girl's parents (mostly the father)) is still a thing among some evangelical and fundamentalist circles here in the US. Marriage before 18 is not so common but the girls are groomed from a very young age to be ready to submit and start popping out them babies. These types are much more offended by the premarital sex angle than Moore targeting such young girls.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 am 
Dammit Al Franken, why'd you have to be such a tool?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Sophomoric humor was his gig; taking it out of context and pretending to be offended is the rights. And if what I'm hearing about the comments the photographer is making are true, then it seems she was awake and aware of what was going on when the picture was taken. Her incredible haste to 'accept his apology' and try to let it die down tend to confirm that as well; if she was in on the gag then she's just committed what may well be a felony (there is no first amendment defense for knowingly falsely accusing someone of a crime). That's the most likely explanation I can see for her not trying to milk this for all it would otherwise be worth.

I kinda doubt the Republicans will dare give Senator Franken what he asked for and launch a formal ethics investigation; the odds of it blowing up in their faces is just too great. Still, this is an effective reminder that old Al has baggage; if the intention is to pull a Hillary on him to keep him from trying to move up it may well succeed.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts