Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Sluggy Mobile??
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:29 pm 
Hi guys. I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I decided to start a new thread. I've been working on my best friend off an on trying to get her interested in Sluggy. They stopped through the other day, and I was showing off my doodled books and a couple of the story boards, and as he was flipping through one of the books, it didn't take long - her husband is hooked and would be interested in reading through SF. So... He is not afraid of a 20 year archive crawl - he would love it, as will she once he passes on the addiction... But I have two questions before I point them to the archives...

I always view everything on my laptop, because for me that is easier. Partly because I never invested in an iPad, only the iPhone. I gathered that people were having issues with the archives on mobile technology. Is that 'just' an issue with the smaller screen of the phone, or is it also an issue on the iPad (which will be his preferred mode of reading)? How much of an issue? If it is a small inconvenience as opposed to "perfect", then I'm not sure I need to wait; but if it is making navigation difficult... The question basically is whether I should send him to the archives now, or whether I should wait until more of the bugs get worked out? Advice?

Also, along those same lines, I thought that Pete indicated that he had gone through the archives - but Malice continues to point to issues, and I note that at least his/her last post has not yet been addressed. Moreover, the "pointing" was several strips off - that is, when I clicked on the link to the comic in question, I landed several strips earlier than I should have (I know the pointing is really off on the NiftySearch site; sometimes it takes a long time to scroll to the strip I'm suppose to be transcribing...). I didn't notice any issues in the brief archive troll that I recently did - other than being a bit off in "landing" on the right date... So again, should I wait a while until more of these bugs get worked out before sending a newbie in? I am inclined to wait, but I'm also eager to get them hooked... (It is, after all, partly her fault that I got hooked - as Bun-Bun reminded me of her stories of her own 'killer' pet rabbit). What do you all think? Should I wait?

Post subject: Re: Sluggy Mobile??
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 pm 
I haven't really used the mobile site, but in terms of things being off in the archives, I've been reading through several stories, and on the whole the things that are off are minor - comics being to small, or having the bottom of another comic attached, things like that. Occasionally a comic is badly cut off or completely missing, but in my experience that is pretty rare. Usually it doesn't screw up too much of the story.

Also, in the first new news post introducing the new archives, Pete said that the first 47 chapters should be okay (Malice did mention some errors, and some animated strips weren't working but I think both what he/she mentioned and the animated strips have been fixed). So hopefully that would keep your friends occupied until all the errors get fixed!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 am 
Still getting archive errors (from recent strips, no less) using a new iPhone

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:17 pm 
superhunnybear wrote:
Still getting archive errors (from recent strips, no less) using a new iPhone

Good to know - thank you for answering. If it's errors that are the problem than iPad's should experience the same issues.... I guess I will wait for a while then. Please keep me posted...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 pm 
Personally I think just get started. Any glitches I've heard of aren't computer crippling and don't seem to be common (excluding line breaks). If he falls in love with the story the minor glitches​ in a free story are worth it.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat