Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 pm 
gevmage wrote:
Orsintos Artificial Soul Integration System

I like muchly. The "O" in my guess didn't feel right to me but Orsintos fits the bill perfectly.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 am 
So, she's something like Avatar (Avatar), or Flesh (Doctor Who).

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am 
VcSaJen wrote:

Those episodes of Doctor Who were too creepy for me to re-watch, but there are some similarities...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 am 
VcSaJen wrote:

I am wondering if she is put into the body like Avatar, and is actually the computer itself.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 am 
ramoss wrote:
VcSaJen wrote:

I am wondering if she is put into the body like Avatar, and is actually the computer itself.

But on the other hand, we know that she was once a six-year old girl, and possibly a clone of Sin'thea... which I guess doesn't quite rule out being a computer put into the body of a young girl.

But there is also the pyrokinesis... weird girl, Oasis.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm 
Ok, at this point we're pretty sure that the organic "Oasis" is controlled from outside from something that has awareness both of what the organic Oasis sees, and what the security cameras inside the O.A.S.I.S. facility sees.

I wanted to lay down some of the speculation about a different direction of plot spec, as far as the whole watch/orders thing.

We saw in the Isle Of Dr. Steve that Dr. Steve could give orders to his flip-up watch (which was wierd; metal band, round face, flip up cover like a pocket watch) and Oasis would follow them completely, even while seeming to not overtly know that that's what she was doing.

I believe the control mechanism was never established on-camera. However, in the Aisle of Dr. Steve, Bunbun and Kiki were able to disrupt Dr. Steve's control through a computer, so the control mechanism doesn't directly control organic Oasis. That's consistent with what we appear to have learned today; that organic Oasis is controlled from outside by...a computer, perhaps? So we presume that at the time of The Isle of Dr. Steve, commands went from the watch(es), somehow mediated by voice-recognition software in the room/computer that Bunbun called "Oasis Control Central", presumably then to the O.A.S.I.S. computer system in the rebirth facility, which then made organic Oasis do that thing.

So possibly, if a vital part of the watch->Oasis control path was destroyed with Dr. Steve's home base, then the whole watch thing is a red herring and they won't work anyway.

Or (more likely) the computer in Dr. Steve's home base was a remote terminal for the O.A.S.I.S. computer? And the one that Chen was typing on in the "office" was another one? That would satisfy the plot, and would even be consistent with styles of computer installations in the 1960s/1970s. Remote terminals attached to large computing systems. And we know that Dr. Steve's home base was not too far from the resurrection facility, so having a remote terminal that far away would be plausible.

Of course, we don't know if the voice command interface was messed up by Bunbun. Or if it works. Or if the watch that Chen grabbed works. But I'm sure all of these will be plot points.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 am 
If Dunuloa isn't the person controlling the camera and making the Oasis bodies (not clones!) I'll be amazed.

I've long suspected she was involved in this. It'd be weird if she wasn't. And someone's definitely running that camera.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am 
I'm starting to think that Oasis is everything she's been described as being: a machine, a transmigrating ghost, a clone, and an innocent.

(And to show just how old I am, at this point she's reminding me of the "Exodus" from the old Ultima series...a psyche connected to the world via machinery and magic.)

Regarding the camera: Way back when Riff and Torg broke into Orsintos, Torg got a call from a "ghost" on his cell phone telling him to "look up." Who was the ghost? Perhaps Oasis can reach out through electronics without knowing it.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm 
So I agree with Torg that it's completely implausible that the 'brain' of Oasis is a computer in this facility which controls Oasis remotely via some radio/Wi-Fi/whatever conventional electromagnetic wave, even putting aside the AI stuff. (Note that I might buy that's a computer in here connected to Oasis by some unconventional means, or that this facility has a role in transmitting commands from the watch.)

If Oasis' "brain" were in this facility, then it would require a huge amount of continuous data flowing back and forth between the body and the brain (images and sensory data from the body, commands from the brain). In order to get this to work before we had 4G cell service and Wi-Fi everywhere, there would need to be a huge infrastructure of devices everywhere Oasis was able to go in order to relay the signal. Dr. Steve would basically be single-handedly creating the entire infrastructure created by cell providers over the past couple decades, and it would have the same problems as that network, including needing constant maintenance and having dead zones. Additionally, there would be no need for a tracer/transponder to track Oasis, since she would be emitting a signal continuously wherever she went, as would the facility, making it easy to find as well.

You could say that this is just an oversight by Pete, but Torg's comments show that that is probably not the case.

However, apparently the images from the camera in the facility have no problem reaching Oasis. So I see two possibilities: either Oasis is only aware of the camera because she is within a short range and still connected to the facility, or she is somehow connected some other way. I'm betting on the latter. We already see that Sin'thea wields magic, and since she seems to be connected to the project somehow, perhaps the connection is magical in nature.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
If Dunuloa isn't the person controlling the camera and making the Oasis bodies (not clones!) I'll be amazed.

I've long suspected she was involved in this. It'd be weird if she wasn't. And someone's definitely running that camera.

I definitely believe Dunuloa is involved somehow, or her creations. But I can't see her spending all her time making Oasis bodies or monitoring the camera personally. Besides, the camera didn't turn to look at Chen at all.

Chickenhead wrote:
I'm starting to think that Oasis is everything she's been described as being: a machine, a transmigrating ghost, a clone, and an innocent.

This. Although I'm not totally sure about the clone bit.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

I definitely believe Dunuloa is involved somehow, or her creations. But I can't see her spending all her time making Oasis bodies or monitoring the camera personally. Besides, the camera didn't turn to look at Chen at all.

I could see it if she didn't have a choice but to make the bodies.

I'm gonna go back to Dr. Steve's "Controlled mind made human" comment. My theory is that he somehow enslaved Dunuloa (via Sin'Thea's fate magic, perhaps?) and forced her to use her abilities to create bodies to live in the real world, bodies which were under Steve's control, using Sin'Thea as a template. Dunuloa's mind is downloaded/imprinted onto each body after creation, with the memories of each previous incarnation carrying over, more or less.

The problem with any other theory is that it doesn't make sense for someone other than Steve and Sin'thea to not be involved in this, and the evidence of that is the failed Steve-Rebirth process, clearly an adaptation of the O.A.S.I.S. process. In other words, Steve DIDN'T invent the process, he just took credit for it and tried to adapt it to his own end. Or he invented the Steve-Rebirth process first, which attracted the attention of Dunuloa, perhaps thinking she found a kindred spirit in the creation of life.

Without some sort of outside involvement, the difference between the two at this point is just too great - why does one work perfectly and not the other? It can't be Oasis herself, since the only truly special thing about her is pyrokinesis. And it can't just be fate magic because then why wouldn't it work on Steve's clones? There's something we still don't know yet and my guess is it's Dunuloa.

Oh, and the camera stayed fixed on Torg, because like Oasis, Dunuloa would share the fixation due to Steve's commands. Dunuloa was always the one he was commanding.

Just a theory.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:40 am 
Kesandru wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

I'm gonna go back to Dr. Steve's "Controlled mind made human" comment. My theory is that he somehow enslaved Dunuloa (via Sin'Thea's fate magic, perhaps?) and forced her to use her abilities to create bodies to live in the real world, bodies which were under Steve's control, using Sin'Thea as a template. Dunuloa's mind is downloaded/imprinted onto each body after creation, with the memories of each previous incarnation carrying over, more or less.

The problem with any other theory is that it doesn't make sense for someone other than Steve and Sin'thea to not be involved in this, and the evidence of that is the failed Steve-Rebirth process, clearly an adaptation of the O.A.S.I.S. process. In other words, Steve DIDN'T invent the process, he just took credit for it and tried to adapt it to his own end. Or he invented the Steve-Rebirth process first, which attracted the attention of Dunuloa, perhaps thinking she found a kindred spirit in the creation of life.

Without some sort of outside involvement, the difference between the two at this point is just too great - why does one work perfectly and not the other? It can't be Oasis herself, since the only truly special thing about her is pyrokinesis. And it can't just be fate magic because then why wouldn't it work on Steve's clones? There's something we still don't know yet and my guess is it's Dunuloa.

Oh, and the camera stayed fixed on Torg, because like Oasis, Dunuloa would share the fixation due to Steve's commands. Dunuloa was always the one he was commanding.

Just a theory.

This.

This is what's been in my mind for years, but put much more clearly than I've been able to.

Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am 
Kesandru wrote:

Chickenhead wrote:

This. Although I'm not totally sure about the clone bit.

Actually I'm not sure about the clone bit either. Chen has a point...did Steve really make that many clones? Or is there some process out there that converts random victims into a new Oasis body (as was the running theory at one point), Agent Smith style from the Matrix. And sometimes the victim chosen is too broken (Oasis in her 'insane' incarnation). We still don't know what Feng saw in the trunk when Oasis was killed that one time.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:29 am 
Kesandru wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

Just a theory.

I like this a lot. And I agree the "controlled mind made human" comment is paramount and should be taken as literally as possible. But there are some pieces still missing. If it's Dunoloa's mind being imprinted on each new body, why doesn't she know who she is? Are Dunoloa's own memories being blocked?.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am 
Not sure if this has been brought up before.

I've been doing an archive dive and ran across an interesting line on 100108 where Father Time is talking to the Time Spiders about the dinosaurs in the cavern beneath the surface: "The dinosaurs existed before the web, and so they operate outside of it. You know how dangerous that can be." Since Oasis is also said to be outside the web, it would then seem likely that at least part of her has existed since before the web, which would lead a lot of weight to the idea that there's a god or old spirit involved in the process at some point.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat