Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Re: Office Revenge
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:59 pm 
I like the SSH-plus-say idea (I did something similar once, except the pc was mine and it played "still alive" on the internal beeper).
I think you could write a simple bash (or whatever shell you use on Macs) script that does all the stuff (creates the user, installs/starts sshd), and then disguise it as a normal desktop icon (choose an often-clicked one).
The script will print something like "Special system update required, please enter your password to continue:"; then run the "payload", so that that the password he types is actually recived by your commands of choice.
Let the script end gracefully printing something like "Update complete!", and you are done.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:00 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Dodger77 wrote:
Can you log him out while the computer is unguarded and then create the account?

Not really. You have to be logged in as an administrator on the machine to be able to create an account.

Dodger77 wrote:
You could always try guessing his password, but that may be difficult is he's particularly savvy or an IT guy.

We're in the development department. We're all hardcore software geeks.

Dodger77 wrote:
My idea was to constantly remind him that something is coming, but never actually follow through.

That's certainly doable, but I do eventually want to do something. But I could string him along for quite a while that way...

Kea wrote:
Can you get a hold of his phone and change his ringtone to Justin Bieber?

Actually, another co-worker got pranked a while back when someone changed his ringtone to an audio clip of a woman having a.. well.. very good time. Then called him while he was in an executive meeting. What the prankster didn't know was that our HR director, who normally isn't in that meeting, was there. And was the only female in the room at the time. It's kind of hard to live up to that one.

The first idea that occurred to me was to just make the required code part of the software project we're both working on. He runs it on his machine, so it's an easy way to get him to execute something. But checking something like that into our code base would be frowned upon. A while back, somebody put a harmless Easter egg into it and the project manager made him take it out.

Maybe I could think up a useful little internal tool that I could code and get him to use, and have my prank embedded in that. Dunno, have to think some more.

I like the ideas! I'd love to hear any more you guys have!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:57 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Dodger77 wrote:
You could always try guessing his password, but that may be difficult is he's particularly savvy or an IT guy. *Resists Urge to Make Mac User Joke Because it's a Banned Topic*

It could also be difficult if the user follows the 'good/bad password' note the OS gives you whenever you generate a password.

agentOfChaos wrote:
I think you could write a simple bash (or whatever shell you use on Macs)

Default has been bash since 10.3. Before then it was tcsh.

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat