Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Office Revenge
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:31 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
I inadvertently left my computer unlocked at my office, which is basically an open invitation to get pranked. The prankster (who sits in a nearby cube) sent an amusing email under my name to others in the company. So now it is time for tenfold vengeance. Since you folks are some of the cleverest people I know, I appeal to you for ideas. What should I do to this poor, poor fool?

Post subject: Re: Office Revenge
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 pm 
Hot or cold war?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:05 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
As asked. It depends on the level of vengeance you seek.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:09 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Not sure, but our student pastor leaves his computer unlocked with Facebook logged in. On Wednesday nights there's a fairly good chance that some of the teenagers will get into his office while he's otherwise occupied and compliment themselves on his account.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 am 
Can you do that thing where you hide all the icons on his desktop but replace his screensaver with an exact replica of his desktop first, so he'll click on stuff but none of it will work?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:16 am 
Yeah, you take a screen cap of his home screen, then pop it up full screen. Let him think his computer froze.

Another favorite of mine is to put a dot of crazy glue over the optical sensor on his mouse.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:08 am 
WLM: SolaraHanover
Yahoo Messenger: LadySolara
AOL: SolaraHanover
Location: Under my desk hiding from the rabid puffin dingoes who are breaking down my door.
Well, there's always this or this or even this although the last one seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 am 
If you can't wait a month for restocking and don't mind paying over twice as much, the Phantom Keystroker is also available on Amazon.

I did something similar (albeit, much lower tech) in undergrad once: plugged in a second (wireless) mouse, taped to the bottom of the target's rolling chair. Took him 20 very frustrated minutes to figure it out. Of course, that one hinges on some specific environmental factors, but it can be done with generic hardware rather than a specific device you won't be getting back when it's found.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:43 am 
Or you do a variation of the "frozen screen" trick but you load a screencap of a computer using a completely different operating system. Make him think his PC transformed into a Mac overnight or something.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:01 pm 
I will entertain both hot and cold war ideas.

So the idea I've heard that I like best so far was given to me by a friend, but it has a little hitch. The target runs a Mac. The idea is to wait for the machine to be left unguarded, then create a hidden user account with SSH (remote command line) access. Then when the target returns to their machine, log in via SSH and make use of the OS X say command to cause the speech synthesizer to speak whatever I type at it.

The hitch? Creating a user account requires you to provide the password for the user who is logged in. Which, obviously, I don't have.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
Can you log him out while the computer is unguarded and then create the account? You could always try guessing his password, but that may be difficult is he's particularly savvy or an IT guy. *Resists Urge to Make Mac User Joke Because it's a Banned Topic*

My idea was to constantly remind him that something is coming, but never actually follow through.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Could always put a little bit of juice on the bottom of his mouse.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
One that worked in my wife's company is a wireless mouse which you have at your desk. depending on the setup you can actually have his mouse plugged in and working but also accepting input from your mouse. If so, you start out subtly and increase the interference gradually.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 am 
Do you have to mess with his computer? Can you get a hold of his phone and change his ringtone to Justin Bieber? Or go low-tech and plaster his desk in tighty whities?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 am 
Here's an idea - get hold of an old cellphone on a cheap contract. Set it to have the same ringtone as his phone, and hide it near his desk (perhaps taped under one of the desk drawers). Call it occasionally, no more than once in a given day, hanging up every time as soon as he takes his phone out.

Alternatively, change around all the shortcuts on his desktop - not changing their appearance or location in any way, simply swapping around which programs they launch (so when he tries to open Safari, he gets a spreadsheet; when he tries to open the spreadsheet, he gets a word processor; and so on and so forth).

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat