Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Poor Villa Lau; nobody gives it no respect. It's a crying shame, I tell you.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I strongly suspect Peter's seen chickens; it's kind of hard to know what an egg is absent modern transportation unless you have.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 am 
He knows of chickens, yes. They're birds, occasionally stolen from the Emirate. He knows how to cook them, too, probably in several ways; he can have a chicken beheaded, plucked, and turned into a meal pretty quickly.

And for him, eggs are (again) things that are occasionally stolen from the Emirate. They don't last long raw, and they break easily, so they need to be baked with quickly.

He also knows that they're often found together; when a raid comes back with the one, odds are they come back with the other as well. But beyond that, I don't imagine that he's really aware of the link between them.

I somehow don't see the bandits as keeping chickens; they'd have to steal food for the chickens as well, and anything edible probably goes towards supporting either themselves (directly) or their horses*. Keeping livestock for food only works in a place where there is enough grass (or other inedible-to-humans food) to keep the livestock alive.

For Peter, food in general comes from robbery.

*Which are eaten if they die in the camp, but kept mainly for the mobility they grant in raids.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suspect the bandits could keep a small flock of chickens if it occurred to them; where there are horses and people there are generally enough bugs to keep a few chickens quite happy. Real world farms here in the States sometimes feed the chickens nothing but grass and maggots so long as the fields are snow free; three days after the cows graze a field, they turn the chickens loose into it to crop the ragged edges of the grass and scratch the cow patties for fly grubs. Which produces a lot of really good eggs, and also does wonders for keeping down the population of flies.

In passing, I see Oyster Midden as getting most of their eggs this way; the chickens they raise for meat would also get some grain.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:52 am 
Hmmm. It might be possible, I guess; there's no grass in the Hidden Valley, but there might be enough flies living off droppings to sustain a chicken or two. I have no idea if chicken farming works in the total absence of plant life, so I'd kind of defaulted to assuming that there were no chickens.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:33 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Now this is where the game crashes to a halt. My character would never let the oxen take two steps in the wrong direction while the count is two to two with two undecided. Unfortunately, it might take a bit for the last counties to be heard from.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:07 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I thought the count was three to two?

Adrian, Dock, and Cafka want to go the short way.
Peter and Chip want to go the long way.

Did I misread something?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
My official ruling is that two months is way too long to wait for someone to make a decision, and now that someone has actually made one I'm not going to wait on everyone to approve it. In the future, if someone takes an action and no counter-action is taken by the time I post, the action stands even if everyone else is unhappy with it. Please feel free to scold them in-character afterwards.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Kajin wrote:
I thought the count was three to two?

You're right, it was. I erred.

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG