Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:02 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Crake wrote:
What are Montessouri schools?

Wonderful method for teaching children to explore, respect and take care of their environment.

Unfortunately, invented in Italy by Maria Montessori, and so opposed by American Educators (NIH syndrome).

Primarily a tactile, visual, auditory method of learning paractical life skills, counting, observing.....

Each exercise involves a request to do the exercise, obtaining the materials for the exercise, performing the exercise, restoring the materials from the exercise and any miscellaneous cleanup. It ain't over till its over.

Google it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:17 pm 
AOL: alkthash
Oh, I think I went to one for like first grade then. It was a pretty cool school to go to, and when I moved I was a lot better off than most of the other second graders in my class.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:58 pm 
AOL: TonySopranoRival
Location: Above a convinience store (backwaterplanet.com anyone?)
Rysto:

But, there are some very basic skills you could teach so a child could take a job, if he wanted. It isn't asking 15 year olds to decide what they're going to do, it's providing them with a potent career option right after graduation. So they have practical experience they can put on a resume and start making money and get financially independent.

It probably won't be the career choice they end up in -- it doesn't have to be, nor should it be. But it would be practical education, education children could actually apply to get a job that isn't McDonalds if they don't want to go to college.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:05 pm 
AOL: alkthash
But wouldn't colleges lose a lot of attendance if that happened. Of course that could inversly help making tuition drop because less people are trying to attend, and there might be smaller classrooms, so logicaly that could promote better learning.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:45 pm 
Don't "magnet" schools already do this? I don't know much about this system, but in art school I met people who came out of art-focused magnet schools. There was also one girl who learned to be a welder in highschool, and I'm talking about really heavy duty metalworking. I'm pretty sure her school focused on the industrial, practical side of welding. Because unlike the (far more pretentious) art highschool kids, she just wanted to make stuff that looked pretty.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:34 am 
AOL: captplati
Location: To have the right to do something is not the same as being right in doing it
Magnet schools are new to the US, but yes, KEA, that is the idea.

This isn't all together bad. Allowing a school to focus on a vocation in life does prepare students for the real world. I don't have a problem with this as long as they also teach the core set of knowledge (Up to algebra, composition, reading...etc).

It has been shown that students fare MUCH better if they are learning what is interesting to them. Now, I did read earlier about the question of having the 15 year old choosing a career. Magnet schools really aren't designed for that. Basically, the 15 year old chooses an "interest". Heck, they may never enter into that field for a career once they graduate. However, that interest may keep them in school. Again...the school still teaches the basics, but allows for the interest outlet. They seem very successfull.

Just my thoughts.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts