Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
When Friday comes around, you should be grateful that it's not a triangle instead.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 am 
Riff looks happy for them!

Alyee tho - think she's crushed. Think you just broke her heart there Torg.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:10 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Aylee is sad....

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:14 am 
I love the look on Riff's face.

Also, thank you Bunbun for that comment. Someone had to say it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am 
Further signs of the Act III Sluggapocalypse... (love it, though!).

Great seeing the cast's reactions to The Kiss. Poor Aylee.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:18 am 
Yay! How many years have we been waiting for this moment? (sorry Aylee- maybe if you'd met Torg a few weeks earlier...)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:20 am 
For some reason this scene makes me think of Manowar's slow song The Crown and the Ring:

From a battle I come, to a battle I ride
Blazing up through the sky
Chains of fate hold a fiery stride
I'll see you again when I die

But let us hope they will all see each other again before that.

Ah yes, Aylee. I didn't understand why she looked sad before I read the reactions.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:24 am 
Riff's knowing smile is almost as good as the whispered "I did it" at the end of 4U City Red. Pete, you know your drama.

Is Aylee really sad about that, or is she just responding to Bun Bun's comment? She's able to read people really well, so I can't believe she would have missed Torg and Zoe's feelings for one another.

Dang, next week can't get here soon enough (though I'm grateful for the weekend and all).

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 am 
Yahoo Messenger: KarlMonster
You know, in an opera, like the Ring cycle for example; when Siegmund meets Sieglinda, they spend about 15 -20 minutes (give or take some posturing) establishing the characters and their past, then they spend 5 minutes declaring their love for each other, then they spend the next hour agonizing about the ramifications of their love. So yeah, I'm kinda afraid.

Pete? Are you sure this is Act III? It's not Act 2.9.0.0.3 or something?

I think a *lot* of readers have missed the tiny little heart by Kiki's head. It needs some pink pigmentation.

And this is a great time for an Aylee link.

Edit:
I do have to comment that I think that Zoe's "manga" eyes are ever-so-slightly overdone. The composition is great, they just seem a tad large. Not that it matters.

... and again hoverbikes! They couldn't take Torg just a third of the way back? What's a hero gotta do these days?

Last edited by KarlMonster on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 am 
Panel 1 is in the running for the title of greatest panel in all of Sluggy.

Heh, the little heart next to Kiki is almost indistinguishable from the starry background. Nice touch.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 am 
I have to admit, this is the perfect Friday comic. I love it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:51 am 
Torg's got this. He's fought DoP demons in three dimensions, and we know from experience that they're way tougher than K'Z'K demons. Just a couple trash-mobs and maybe a boss fight with N'aaaw. Plus a Zoe kiss to send him off--and everyone knows that send-off kisses to the hero provide +2 to AP and saving throws. He's got someone to fight for, and as Belkar Bitterleaf once put it: "[...] guys who spout corny lines like, 'I've got someone worth fighting for' always win for some weird reason."

Torg, you've got this, brother.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:01 am 
habitually_dubious wrote:
He's got someone to fight for, and as Belkar Bitterleaf once put it: "[...] guys who spout corny lines like, 'I've got someone worth fighting for' always win for some weird reason."

...at which point he was immediately immobilized and dominated by his opponent, and then after being nearly killed by said opponent, he watched his comrade and rescuer be *actually* killed, and was left barely alive only by his friend's dying request -- and still is so weak that he could be taken out by his own cat.

So yeah, I'm not sure we have a good precedent here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 am 
Masterfully done. Posting those things here I can talk about (*hint hint* become a Defender! :) )

1) The Kiss (not to be confused with Torg's Ceiling-Art of Zoe's parents! :P)
Nice to compare this Kiss to Torg and Alt-Zoe during That Which Redeems, Torg's Welcome Home Kiss to his Zoe , and Oasis' trauma-inducing kiss in the restaurant. Pete's clearly put great care into each one. The Zoe and Alt-Zoe kisses are most significant:

Carefully notice Torg's "Huge Eyes" in each. In TWR, Torg clearly cares for her, yet there is a slight recurve at the top of his closed eyes. He's holding something back... or struggling with something. They are both lying to themselves, and each other as "replacements." At the end of 4U City, Torg isn't holding anything back. The straight, almost tensed vertical edge to the top of his eyelid shows the intensity of his feeling, he's not hiding his feelings one more second from the woman he though he lost... but he also knows this kiss is more of a message than a mutual thing. He doesn't know how Zoe will respond.

Yesterday, Torg is clearly surprised but accepts it arms free- just as he accepted Zoe's hug on his return in "Tears in the Darkness"- though from contentment (his eyelid turned

Then today... he returns it, his lids turning downward and his eyes are perfectly at peace.

2) The Cast
Masterfully done- save of course Queen Siphy and Mr. Riff's Dad, who barely know Torg and Zoe- everyone else's reactions are profoundly true to character, wonderfully done.
Kiki's sheer, pristine joy, like she's getting to be a Flower Girl at Torg's wedding all over again (minus the carnage and armed kidnapping)- and perfectly in the moment, as Kiki always is.
Riff's simple, subtle smile... echoing (as others noted) his perfect happiness at bringing Zoe home. (making this the 2nd of the only 2 days in the entire strip he's been so emotionally open/expressive). With a slight wry downturn to one side this time though... he can't fully take credit for this part, though he's been watching it unfold from both their perspectives- including a perspective Zoe has no memory of.
Bun Bun, who has known Torg's feelings for Zoe longer than any other, and who even made a profoundly out-of-character promise to Nerd Boy (which, we now learn may be nothing less than the promise of the God of Power in a place where he cannot lie. :D ). He's Torg's confessional and sworn protector of their love in bizzare way... but of course does not show any of this, and simply throws a wonderfully snide lewd comment. Love you Bun Bun! (runs like mad :bunbun: )
Aylee OUCH. Still making sense of this one. Possibly the biggest surprise after the Kiss, apparently Torg and Zoe weren't the only one's having a terrible time expressing their feelings.

Bradster wrote:
Yay! How many years have we been waiting for this moment? (sorry Aylee- maybe if you'd met Torg a few weeks earlier...)

Harsh man. You do realize he LITERALLY met Zoe the 2nd time, and learned her name after Aylee had trampled her? Like with chewed-upd Sam being the agent of their love, ironies within irony here.

And just because he deserves it- Chaz is looking INCREDIBLY Bad@$$ on Torgs back with new leather hilt-wrappings and increasing the hero/bad-boy value of Torg's black hoody so he looks like a knight in black armor, getting the kiss of his lady before wading into danger. Way to go, Chaz!

3) The Promise This marks the second time you made a Promise to a Zoe Torg... and this one is your Zoe. Here's praying you can keep it.

Last edited by Goatlord42 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:34 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 am 
habitually_dubious wrote:
Torg's got this. He's fought DoP demons in three dimensions, and we know from experience that they're way tougher than K'Z'K demons. Just a couple trash-mobs and maybe a boss fight with N'aaaw.

I don't know... he's got N'aaaw AND Shadow-Gal to deal with after the Brute Squads. And though they seem tactically easier to wound, its not clear those wounds slow them down much. Even during their battle, the relatively wussy Skippy wiped the floor with large portions of the entire gang. K'Z'K-aligned demons take damage, but they seem to have regen, and sheer magic levels/abilties that make them scarier on some levels.

The DoP demons seem to mostly just be immune to non-magical weapons (we saw the ancient forces of the Goddess had enchanted arms too- presumably the sort that works all the time, Torg was fighting with a huge handicap, even is Chaz is likely one of the most powerful Magic Swords in the Sluggyverse when active (ie-able to slay a god-level demon)). Few have any magic powers, and once they face a weapon that can harm them are pushovers who mostly flee, unless driven on by their Nobles.

The K'Z'K Cult demonic allies seem capable of acting independently, and don't seem to fear much.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions