Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 am 
I see no reason why horse meat shouldn't be sold for food, beyond societal views of horses being pets and "you don't eat pets". Which is hardly a valid reason for a ban. I also don't object to those who eat dog and cat, for that matter.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
In some states in the U.S. horses are legally slaughtered for meat and sold as such. There are no Federal standards, so far as I know; though it would probably be wise to set some fast if eating horse meat starts to spread. As far as would I eat it? I think I've done so, having attended a summer camp in one of those states decades ago. Eh; mystery meat is mystery meat, no matter what kind of mammal it comes from.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 am 
I've eaten ostrich, kudu, and springbuck (and can get more at the corner shop). I have no particular problem with eating horse, as long as suitable care is taken to ensure that the meat is safe for consumption.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:04 am 
Horsemeat is legal here, and in the UK as well. The scandal with these burgers was more over the fact that the packaging claimed it was 100% beef. It's an issue with incorrect labelling and possibly with lax attention being paid to what's put in food. Horsemeat juat makes it sound much more scandalous, since it's not commonly eaten in Britain.

As for kangaroo, it's not bad, but it's overpriced in Europe just for the novelty value.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Just for the novelty value? Nothing to do with shipping from Australia? Do they do live animal transport for Kangaroos?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 am 
Maybe they have kangaroo farms?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 am 
Steave wrote:
Just for the novelty value? Nothing to do with shipping from Australia? Do they do live animal transport for Kangaroos?

Isn't a lot of our bog standard meat shipped from all over the world, though? I don't think much is locally produced - there's very little animal husbandry in this country. I guess most of it could come from the rest of Europe, but I thought meat was frozen and flown in from South America and Asia all the time.

There's competition, I suppose. Kangaroo meat only comes from Australia, whereas you can buy chicken from whoever's offering the best price.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Lessee...Australia to Europe is roughly 8000 miles (depending on where in each you measure from, of course), so every pound shipped from one to the other adds the cost of 4 ton miles worth of shipping. By sea, that's about 3 cents. By air, about $3.20. So unless it's shipped frozen by sea, I think it's probably transportation that's the chief culprit in the price of kangaroo meat in Europe.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
By sea, the distance is greater. The vast majority of commodity shipping is done by sea, though. And especially with a price differential upwards of $3/pound, it's hard to imagine it being economical to ship it by air, rather than by sea. Unless the base price is very high, which it would be if novelty enhanced its value substantially.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Shipping by sea takes a fair while, though, and it isn't economical in the slightest unless you're shipping huge amounts of at once. If Kangaroo meat really is something eaten as a novelty rather than a mainstay, it'd be impossible to move that much of it due to lack of demand. If it's as expensive as you say, it's much more likely they're only receiving shipments of small amounts.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 am 
Yahoo Messenger: kirby1024
Which is interesting, considering that there is a wild population of kangaroos in France...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:21 am 
kirby1024 wrote:
Which is interesting, considering that there is a wild population of kangaroos in France...

There used to be an introduced population of wallabies in Derbyshire, England, as well, but I think they may have died out.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm 
AOL: nightflyer87
Okay back to the topic. An additional concern to think about is the rising number of horse thefts. Should horse slaughter be widely practiced in the US, these thieves could easily turn a quick buck and get rid of the evidence in one shot. However, this could be stemmed by vigilant FDA testing of the horses prior to slaughter. A show horse would fail the tests due to the different supplements and drugs in the system that are legal for performance, but not for food animals.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts