Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Re: Fan art for Pete
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 am 
Thanks, arch! The bears and the floaty came from the 'Shadow Boxing' chapter, which is still one of my favorite Sasha story lines.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:04 pm 
Wow, three pages of posts! Hey doesn't anyone else want to join in the fun? eh, Either way, I'm having fun!

Without further ado, my crowning glory, my favorite thus far,

He feels kinda short, but I shortened his legs cuz they felt too long at first. Oh well.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
archnemesis_g wrote:
Wow, three pages of posts! Hey doesn't anyone else want to join in the fun? eh, Either way, I'm having fun!

Without further ado, my crowning glory, my favorite thus far,

He feels kinda short, but I shortened his legs cuz they felt too long at first. Oh well.

Nice! It's the neck that's too long, though. I think it's throwing the rest out of whack.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:58 am 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
Awesome jobs, guys! I did some a few years back, including a wizard of oz sluggite mashup, you can see it here: http://dabbled.org/2008/12/clandestine-projects.html

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:19 am 

edit: fixed broken link

Last edited by s.i.l. on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am 
Sil that is the Best! :bunbun:

Got a load today!First up, a fix for Thorg's neck.

Oasis as Loki, which was the main reason for having Torg as Thor, as opposed to Sam. I wanted to play on the love/hate relationship between these two.

And just for fun, the last three panels of today's strip in animated form.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23 pm 
@s.i.l.: Nice. Using Sluggy symbols to represent the keypad combo was a particularly effective touch. :bunbun:

@arch: I think Oasis as Loki might be my favorite so far. On top of being thematically appropriate, her outfit just looks awesome in black and green. And I think it makes sense to have Torg as Thor also because of his Scandinavian heritage.

I should make time for more artwork. I keep meaning to get back to work on my Final Fantasy Sluggy stuff. And at one point someone suggested a steampunk Sluggy, which could also be really interesting. It'd be a perfect working environment for Riff, to start with. And it'd be interesting to get Gwynn into a corset.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:15 am 
Thanks. I was almost done making a Bun-bun as Ryu avatar when I saw RobertHMayfire beat me to using that scene so I had to put it to use somehow. It took a bit of searching to find just the right knife and even then I had to fill in the little bit from erasing Bun-bun's paw holding it.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:44 pm 
Don't you hate finding out you came around too late and missed out on an opportunity?

edit:cleaned up those horribly illegible exclamation marks

Yes, I'm a brony. Sue me.

Also, I made some minor edits to Riff's retelling of what happened in 4U City to see what it would look like if Pete decided to release the image as a poster. (click for full size)

edit: fixed broken links

Last edited by s.i.l. on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 am 
Duuude. Awesome Poster is Awesome.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:19 am 
I drew this up yesterday, as kind of a 15th anniversary tribute, but decided it'd be better to do something more meaningful to the Sluggy community as a whole. At any rate, here's my revisitation of Riff as the Red Mage from Final Fantasy.

It just somehow made most sense to cast Riff as the Red Mage, as we have a caster who can also wear armor and fight. A battlemage, if you will. As such he is a really good early-game character. As the game progresses, however, my experience has been that the Red Mage becomes increasingly mediocre in both the fighting and casting. Where the other fighting classes get awesome, class-specific weapons and armor and the other casters get awesome, class-specific spells, the Red Mage really has nothing going for him that the other classes don't cover. Though I don't foresee Riff letting that hold him back.

Originally I'd intended to have Riff casting a spell of some kind as he ran, but I just couldn't make the spell look convincing. Instead I opted to have him running with the Water Orb (one of the key mcguffins from the original Final Fantasy). The armored boots and bracers seemed to fit Riff's personality, and I added a chain-mail shirt because the Red Mage can wear chain armor and chain mail is a fun texture to draw. (Just ask any Prince Valiant artist.) I'm also quite happy with how the pommel of his sword looks, but less so with the scabbard.

Anyway, I like how this turned out and I'm happy to hear any thoughts, comments, and other feedback.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Hab, I meant to earlier that your Red Mage Riff is stunning, then the picture seemed familiar- its that one sketch that Pete has used over and over again!
Which gave me an idea.

Iron Riff!

And the whole gang!

Its taken a while to get these all together, and Iron Riff was a fussy piece of work. Sill not completely satisfied, but it'll do.
Next up, bad guys!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 pm 
Also. a fast and dirty Slawteresa Harley Quinn

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:37 pm 
Nice, arch! The Slaw picture is fitting, as I feel like Pete partly based her on Harley Quinn to begin with.

And now, Sam: :sam:
Neither Sam nor Bun-Bun seems overly impressed by the Rat's Tail as a quest item. (If you don't get the reference, you have my sympathy.)

I think one of the things that bugged me about my original Sam drawing was the lack of coat. Sam's long coat is almost as customary as Riff's, and I think drawing him without was a mistake. I cast Sam as the thief solely because the they both have pointy ears. I could see rationale for making him the black belt, but eventually assigned that role to Zoe. And even now I could see their roles swapped. Meh.

Anyway, of the lot, I think this one is the most self-explanatory. For no apparent reason, I opted to give Bun-Bun a helmet. The only requirement was that it had to have an open face. The Roman centurion helm was the first look I tried, and I liked it well enough that I decided to roll with it.

Next will be Torg and Zoe together, which I will hopefully have ready to post by Halloween.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am 
Phew! Finally got the last of these done. Hope it works for folks. Here are Torg and Zoe: :torg: :zoe:
All along I've intended to put Torg and Zoe together for theirs. It just took me a long time to decide on a pose for them. I considered pictures of Torg standing behind Zoe and of Zoe standing behind Torg. I considered drawing them standing back to back. I considered a number of action poses, finally deciding on this one of Zoe vaulting over Torg's head as she leaps into battle.

Once again, this is part of my series featuring the Sluggy cast as the Light Warriors from the original Final Fantasy. Torg is Fighter (just imagine his armor is red). And Zoe is the Black Belt. Torg's action pose comes directly from a Captain America comic I've had for years. The battle axe is a Norse design, to reflect Torg's viking heritage. Zoe's pose is from a picture I found of the thief gal from Trine. I like Zoe's outfit much better in this than in the original cast drawing I did ages ago.

I'm open to suggestions for other Sluggy characters as FF1 characters. I think Oasis would be an effective Kary the Fire Fiend. I can also visualize one with Darth Grater and Princess Princess as Garland and Princess Sarah. Or one of Aylee's more dragonish forms as Bahamut. Thoughts?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat